Defensive Carry banner

inexpensive but reliable handguns

16K views 64 replies 55 participants last post by  Katana 
#1 ·
I'm constantly asked by my students, many of whom are on a fixed income, if they can purchase a handgun that will still allow them to pay the rent.
Here are some, I'm certain others will have more sugestions.
Bersa's
Several Taurus's
CZ's
EAA has several.
Ruger, especially revolvers.
Charter Arms snubbies.
Used S&W revolvers.

#4 ·
there is a website similar to craigslist but they allow the selling or trading of firearms. I live in Cincinnati and it's pretty big here so I am not sure if smaller cities know about the website as it's not as popular as craigslist but the site is

Los Angeles Co., California: Barter Online at - SwapGiant

goto the sporting goods section, then to firearms and ammo and you can find cheap used and some never shot firearms on there

#7 ·
Used S&W model 10 4" .38 special

Literally THOUSANDS out there for sale cheap.
$350 will likely get you one that's barely been used.

The ubiquitous Glock 17 , 19 9mm - used.
Very few get worn out from shooting - again under $400

:wave:

#11 ·
I like my newer production Rossi revolver, it's been reliable and accurate. I think Bersa's are one of the best deals on new pistols. S&W Sigma isn't a bad pistol, just needs some trigger work.

I think that the supply of them dried up, but I have a Sig P6 that I got for about $250, and it is a whole lot of pistol for the money.

#12 ·
I'm constantly asked by my students, many of whom are on a fixed income, if they can purchase a handgun that will still allow them to pay the rent.
Here are some, I'm certain others will have more sugestions.
Bersa's
Several Taurus's
CZ's
EAA has several.
Ruger, especially revolvers.
Charter Arms snubbies.
Used S&W revolvers.

CZ!!!! Maybe a year ago they were inexpensive....now days they run around $600! Not cheap!

#14 ·
I've never owned or even handled one and you'll find plenty of mixed reviews, but I think the Sigma is probably these days a fine budget handgun. Right now, at least as of a few days ago, you could get one from Bud's gunshop for ~$300 delivered, and then a $50 mail in rebate from S&W or 2 free mags. That's $250 + transfer for a new big name polymer handgun...not bad.

#18 ·
I'd be inclined to find a superior firearm with some cosmetic flaws... I'm sure there's a Sig out there that has been scuffed and abused, and would welcome a loving adoptive home...

Just my 2 cents...

#19 ·
I just bought an EAA .357 mag for under $300.
I've heard that Hi-Point guns are reliable. Ugly as hell and look like they're made out of left-over cordless drill parts and a '78 Buick, but well within reach for a starving college kid.

#21 ·
The best value in a modern DA semi on the market. 9x18 is readily available and these fine used CZ handguns can be had retail for around $225. They are bank vault reliable and fun and easy to shoot and carry with 12+1 capacity.

CZ82

If money is tight you can still do it right, I purchased all the guns below for less than $200. Hit the local pawn shops and small gun stores abd keep looking until you find the gun you need on a budget. I usually just buy what I want but I do like to find real bargins and show them some TLC and see what I can make out of them. They are some good deals out there if you look hard enough and shop wisely.

#23 ·
The used police trade in Glocks are my first choice., the CPO Sigs are also a great deal. About 2-300 below retail of a new one. That Cz 82 is also a really great bargain and the old Soviet Bloc guns are built like tanks and they are out there EVERYWHERE on the cheap.

#24 ·
You forgot to add Glock to the mix.

I consider a Glock to be a "disposable" pistol and usually they will be reliable, but like any manmade item, they will fail at some point.

Biker

#26 ·
Lots of those C&R handguns (CZ 52's, Makarovs, etc.) are really good buys and stone-cold reliable.

Few are pretty, but those (mostly Eastern bloc) pistols give you a lot of bang for a buck.

#28 ·
I have a hard time putting reliable and inexpensive in the same gun purchasing sentence...you get what you pay for...:rolleyes::yup:

My life and the lives of my family members are worth the $500 for a Glock.:yup:
OMOYMV

#33 ·
Inexpensive and "cheap" as in cheaply made are two different things. I agree that CCW is not the place to cut corners, we are not talking toasters here its your life that depends on these guns. That said there are still many quality reliable bargins to be had if you look.

Another example....$299 SIG purchased when the W. German police Sigs first became available a couple years ago, add new Duracoat finish (applied myself) and new wood custom grips and tritium night sights and I am still it for around $500. So we have a mechanically near perfect SIG with nights sights, custom grips and new finish for 5 bills.......thats an inexpensive bargin for a SIG with these features I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.