Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY my wife's Shield 9mm came in yesterday! I never thought this day would come after almost a year on the waiting list it finally came in!

So now we're looking for a holster. We currently have the Remora 6-ART w/horsehide leather liner which is used for my M&P 40c but according to Remora's holster fitment chart the 6-ART is the size that fits the Shield. It works out well but seems a little big but will do the job. But now we want to get a nice inexpensive IWB holster for her as well in addition to the Remora. Any suggestions please? We'd like to keep it around $40.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use an Ozarks Holster Company IWB for my XDs .45. $45, horsehide, lifetime warranty, and great customer service.

Congrats on the Shield, my wife loves hers!

Handmade Hybrid IWB Holsters | Ozarks Holster Company
Wow that's a great priceand looks to be good quality too! Thanks! I love my CrossBreed SuperTuck w/ Horsehide for my M&P 40c so I really like the fact that they use Horsehide as a standard option! The horsehide is so soft and comfortable.

Some other holsters we were considering were FoxX, Theis, White Hat, and Crossbreed. I've never heard of Ozarks but looks good to me especially at that price point!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow that's a great priceand looks to be good quality too! Thanks! I love my CrossBreed SuperTuck w/ Horsehide for my M&P 40c so I really like the fact that they use Horsehide as a standard option! The horsehide is so soft and comfortable.

Some other holsters we were considering were FoxX, Theis, White Hat, and Crossbreed. I've never heard of Ozarks but looks good to me especially at that price point!
I have a White Hat MaxTuck that I carry my Sig P220 in. Also a great holster but cost me double what the Ozark did. The quality is equal on the two.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using TapTalk 2

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm finding that "inexpensive and good quality" do not necessarily go hand in hand. If I would have taken the money for two or three inexpensive holsters I could have had a quality holster. Now I have 2-3 that I don't use and one I do :(
Just my .02

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a crossbreed for my glock 19 and a theis for my shield. I like my crossbreed more, better clips and construction in my opinion.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Foxx hybrid is like 43 dollars shipped
That's a good deal too. How is the cowhide though as opposed to the horsehide? I've never worn the cowhide leather.

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am carrying my Shield in an Ozarks Holster Company hybrid right now. It's one of the best values I've found and works great with jeans or khakis.

Like any holster, she needs to wear it for a few weeks and let it conform to her shape before deciding whether it's going to work for her or not.

Reactions: guitarzNgunz

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
OK, I don't want so sound lascivious, but 'what is she wearing'. :D :image035:

If you give me some ideas, I can tell you what we do. But it depends on the situation. The Shield at 19oz unloaded is very light, but it gets up to about 24-ish loaded with the mag in.

You have to be extra careful if you carry in a purse, because:
1. It's hard to get the firearm deployed - get one with a holster pocket
2. If she forgets and leaves it on a chair, in a shopping cart or off her body, it can get lifted. It's extremely easy and -some- women can be a bit cavalier with their handbags.

You can wear loose clothing and still conceal in various ways. I was looking closely at the pistolwear trumpcard for future purchase. It's meant for jogging but is also fantastic (I hear) for underarm carry, pointed downwards.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have both a Remora and an standard hybrid IWB holster for my Shield.

I got one from Old Faithful Holsters. Had to put it together myself, but it's a good holster for $40. Took about 3 weeks to be delivered.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We have a nice holster shop in our area. They are online but I know its nicer to be able to see it, feel it, hold it first. I think we have about 5 of theirs, not counting magazine holders. I like their IWB for my SW 9c and my SW Shield. My husband has an IWB and an OWB for his SW, he prefers the OWB.

I like the IWB with jeans - don't need a belt for pants with some weight to the material like jeans. Still not sure what I want for summer weight clothes. My friend who owns a gun shop says she wears hers with a bellyband. I just don't think that would be comfortable and I'm not sure I want to give up accessibility for style. I'm not a fan of purse carry so I pretty much stick to my leather Stoner. If you do order from them, get a couple of their leather conditioners. Stuff is amazing.

I posted but forgot to tell the store name lol

Gun Holsters Custom Made and Concealed - Shipping Worldwide

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
Galco king-tuk and n82 tactical are good holsters and are inexpensive and good quality.
I usually get the KingTuk because Optics Planet usually has them in stock and they ship the next day. There is no advantage to a handmade hybrid holster. It does not require any high measure of craftsmanship to make like a fine stitched leather holster would so why wait?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I don't want so sound lascivious, but 'what is she wearing'. :D :image035:

If you give me some ideas, I can tell you what we do. But it depends on the situation. The Shield at 19oz unloaded is very light, but it gets up to about 24-ish loaded with the mag in.

You have to be extra careful if you carry in a purse, because:
1. It's hard to get the firearm deployed - get one with a holster pocket
2. If she forgets and leaves it on a chair, in a shopping cart or off her body, it can get lifted. It's extremely easy and -some- women can be a bit cavalier with their handbags.

You can wear loose clothing and still conceal in various ways. I was looking closely at the pistolwear trumpcard for future purchase. It's meant for jogging but is also fantastic (I hear) for underarm carry, pointed downwards.

She usually wears khaki's or jeans with a t-shirt that is form fitting. She usually carries her S&W BG380 in a Remora and it conceals very well and she thinks it's comfy. So we're looking for a hybrid to disperse the weight of the Shield fully loaded. She could always carry the 380 when her attire won't easily conceal the Shield.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts