Defensive Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn’t find any comparison info and thought this might help someone looking for an inexpensive pistol case.

First, the manufacture’s specs on the Plano 1403 and 10137 cases are off. However, Academy has the specs close on the 1403 but the 10137 specs are way off there as well. The manufacture’s dimensions on the MTM cases are also off a bit, but not as bad as Plano’s specs.

Here’s manufacture’s specs and what I measured on the four cases I have (Length x Width x Depth). There are two measurements given on the width – One is the maximum useable foam width and the other is the center section’s “rectangular width” (see the photo)

MTM 805-40 Compact Case
MFG Interior: 9.7" x 5.7" x 2.8"
Actual Interior: 9.75” x 6.75” / 5.875” - 2.875” external

Plano 1403 Protector
MFG Interior: 10.5” x 6.325” x 2.25”
Actual Interior: 12.25” x 6.75” / 6.125” - 3” external

MTM 807-40
MFG Interior: 12.5" x 8.1" x 3.0"
Actual Interior: 12.5” x 7.5” / 6.875” - 3” external

Plano 10137 SE Series
MFG Interior: 13” x 9.5” x 2.5”
Actual Interior: 12.75” x 8.125” / 7” - 3” external

The MTM 805-40 is pretty small, but it will hold my Stoeger Cougar (7” overall length x 5.5” height), a speed loader, and an extra magazine, but there’s less than .5” foam between the top and bottom and backside of the pistol grip. It is near perfect size wise for my Colt Government 380 with a LaserMax laser sight and two magazines. However, it did not perform well in the shake test with the Colt 380 as the small, thin, single stack magazines slid forward. It did pass the shake test with the Cougar and its thicker, double stacked magazine, but I personally think it is too small for the Cougar.

The Plano 1403 will hold the Cougar (about .5” minimum of foam from pistol to case), a detachable RamLite laser sight/flashlight combo, a speed loader, and 2 magazines. However, clearance between the pieces is tight, too tight for my comfort. Remove one of the magazines and it might be “OK”. It passed the shake test for the Cougar and the Colt 380, so I’m going to use this case for the Colt.

The MTM 807-40 is the next larger case and will hold the Cougar (1” minimum of foam from pistol to case), a detachable RamLite laser sight/flashlight combo, a speed loader, and 2 magazines, but clearance between the pieces is a little tight for my liking. The lid alignment on this case is a little aggravating as you have to shift the lid to and fro a little to get it to seat correctly. Plus it did not pass the shake test as delivered. I’m sure it would be OK with adding some thick cardboard under the foam to tighten things up, but even as inexpensive as this case is, I would expect the foam to be tight/thick enough to hold the gun in place. Plus I have a feeling the cardboard would make the lid alignment issues even worse.

The Plano 10137 is the largest of the cases I bought – not my much, but just enough that everything listed before fits comfortably. I can squeeze a third magazine in the mix with this case and do. It also passed the shake test once I flipped the upper foam around, placing the egg crate side of the foam against the upper lid. I didn’t experience any issues with closing the lid, so this is the case I’m going with for the Cougar.

I really like the way the MTM cases look and them being made in the USA, I was really hoping they were going to be the better economy case. However, with the lid closure issues and neither the 805 or 807 holding the pistol in place after a good shake, I would have to recommend the Plano cases over the MTM cases. It’s not like the MTM cases are bad for the money, I’ll end up using them for something. I’m actually using one to hold my pistol cleaning supplies and another to hold my shooting glasses, ear plugs, and a couple spare magazines.

Bag Luggage and bags Hand luggage

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
A decent range bag has places for everything and you only have one thing to carry.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
For hard cases Pelican is very tough to beat! Their warranty is top notch as well! I agree with Granny soft range bags and cases are the way to go 90% of the time!

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Ty for the info.
And welcome to DC

I often use these.
Bag Handbag Product Brown Beige
Bag Khaki Handbag Beige Messenger bag
Protect the pistol and mags, acts as a gun rug too. They also slip easily into my range bag.
Very inexpensive from Wally World

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Interesting first post, Welcome! As for cheap, I have two words - Shoe & Box. :wink:

Reactions: Sportymonk
1 - 6 of 6 Posts