Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to say it....but I can't say that these events come as a big surprise to me.

The RCMP is the federal police force in Canada, and they provide local policing for the town of High River, which was recently evacuated (along with 100,000 residents of the City of Calgary) due to severe flooding.

?Hell to pay:? Residents angry as RCMP sieze guns from High River homes

RCMP revealed Thursday that officers have seized a “substantial amount” of firearms from homes in the evacuated town of High River.

“We just want to make sure that all of those things are in a spot that we control, simply because of what they are,” said Sgt. Brian Topham.

“People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms ... so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.”

That news didn’t sit well with a crowd of frustrated residents who had planned to breach a police checkpoint northwest of the town as an evacuation order stretched into its eighth day.

About 30 RCMP officers set up a blockade at the checkpoint, preventing 50 residents from walking into the town. Dozens more police cars, lights on, could be seen lining streets in the town on standby.

“We don’t want our town to turn into another New Orleans,” said resident Jeff Langford.

Langford blasted High River Mayor Emile Blokland over comments made Wednesday in which Blokland said residents will be allowed to return after businesses, such as hardware and drug stores, are opened.

Sgt. Topham said he didn’t know when residents would be allowed to return to their homes. “People much higher up are going to make those decisions,” he said.

He did confirm that officer relied on forced entry to get into numerous houses during the early stages of the flood because of an “urgent need”, said Topham.

Topham said the confiscated firearms have been inventoried and are secured at an RCMP detachment. He was not at liberty to say how many firearms had been confiscated.

“We have seized a large quantity of firearms simply because they were left by residents in their places,” said Topham.

Right. You can have your firearms back after we decide to let you into your flood-ravaged houses....but only once you are able to show us intact receipts for the purchase of those firearms from those flood-ravaged houses. Until then, those firearms will sit in the corner of a warehouse, covered in slop, rusting....until we decide to chuck them into a furnace.

How many of you can show receipts for your flat-screen TV's, computers, or other valuable items in your home? Some owners have copies of the registrations certificates from the now-defunct long gun registry, so that would probably constitute proof of ownership...if those paper certs happened to survive the flooding. If not...my guess is that the vast majority of the firearms that were seized will end up being destroyed.

From where I sit, there are a few questions to ask:

#1. If the town is secured by the RCMP, why is there a need to seize firearms?

#2. Under Canadian law, those firearms are secured anyways, right? Under lock and key? (this is actually a legal requirement in Canada)

#3. If there is any issue with getting the firearms back to their legal owners, the onus rests on the police force that illegally seized the firearms. When a government agency seizes something, is there not normally an expectation that what is being seized will be accounted for? After all....those firearms are serialized. They would be relatively easy to account for.

#4. Does anyone else here have a SERIOUS issue with police doing a house-to-house search for firearms without consent of property owners or a warrant?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...the whole point of 2A is that ONLY the US citizens have RIGHTS...other countries treat them as priviliges...

·
Registered
938 Posts
The fact that they have the resources to search every home is what is stunning.

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
Good argument for getting a nice sturdy safe. Makes it tough for criminals to get your guns, even if they happen to be wearing badges.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
You have no idea how disappointed I was when I first learned that the RCMP don't actually wear the red uniforms all the time...oh well Bullwinkle...

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
From where I sit, there are a few questions to ask:

#1. If the town is secured by the RCMP, why is there a need to seize firearms?

#2. Under Canadian law, those firearms are secured anyways, right? Under lock and key? (this is actually a legal requirement in Canada)

#3. If there is any issue with getting the firearms back to their legal owners, the onus rests on the police force that illegally seized the firearms. When a government agency seizes something, is there not normally an expectation that what is being seized will be accounted for? After all....those firearms are serialized. They would be relatively easy to account for.

#4. Does anyone else here have a SERIOUS issue with police doing a house-to-house search for firearms without consent of property owners or a warrant?
Canada is a silly place. There, you are a subject, not a citizen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts