Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my new G19 MOS, Trijicon suppressor sights, and Trijicon RMR. I had the local gun store where I bought the G19 and sights install the sights. It only took the guy four tries to get the sights properly aligned...

The RMR I ordered from Optics Planet. It arrived on Thursday night and I installed it. It looked like the iron sights and the RMR were almost perfectly cowitnessed, so I made no adjustments.

On Friday afternoon, my wife and I went to the range. The iron sights of course worked properly, but right from the start the RMR dot had me shooting about eight inches low and eight inches left. I adjusted the dot up and got the point of impact to the correct level, but when I tried to get the point of impact to move right, I continued to hit left. I finally gave up when the dot was almost off the right side of the screen and I was still hitting left.

I called Trijicon yesterday and got a not too sympathetic guy on the phone. I was instructed to send the RMR back to Optics Planet for an exchange. Stay tuned for Chapter 2 of this saga.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
If I recall... it's been a while since I've shot my RMR pistols... there is a learning curve to bringing the pistol up and having the red dot in the center of the window.
But regardless, isn't it still supposed to hit where the dot is, no matter if it's centered or not?

Is your POI moving at all when you adjust windage?

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall... it's been a while since I've shot my RMR pistols... there is a learning curve to bringing the pistol up and having the red dot in the center of the window.
But regardless, isn't it still supposed to hit where the dot is, no matter if it's centered or not?
Is your POI moving at all when you adjust windage?
Yes, there is a learning curve, but I've had a red dot installed on my AR15 since I bought it, so I am not exactly new to the red dot game. Yes, the point of impact should be where the dot appears on the target. The difference between where the dot appeared and where the POI appeared, was well over a foot apart. And, nope, my POI did not move when I adjusted the windage. Definitely defective out of the box.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
That stinks. Trijicon is, well you know :wink: Trijicon is numeral uno in my book.
I've got one of their small RMR's on my shotgun.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
You should have probably had someone else shoot it just to verify that they have the same results you did. If they did, then you can probably eliminate you as the 'cause'. And yes, I realize that given what you say you were experiencing, it really shouldn't be you; however I've found that it's always best to verify before you start sending things back.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That stinks. Trijicon is, well you know :wink: Trijicon is numeral uno in my book.
I've got one of their small RMR's on my shotgun.
Everyone can make a lemon, even Trijicon. I think they make great stuff, too, but who know what happened in this case? When I described what happened to their rep, he wasn't very sympathetic, but he immediately said send it back for a replacement to Optics Planet.

When my front HD night sight flew off my other G19, they replaced it without charge.

More than anything in this case, I would say it's my personal crappy luck with electronics. If somebody is going to get a bad one, it's usually going to be me. I've had this happen with computer monitors, cameras, LED flashlights, etc. :aargh4:

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should have probably had someone else shoot it just to verify that they have the same results you did. If they did, then you can probably eliminate you as the 'cause'. And yes, I realize that given what you say you were experiencing, it really shouldn't be you; however I've found that it's always best to verify before you start sending things back.
I would gladly have done so if there had been someone else around experienced with red dots. Where I live in Utah, they're considered "exotic" and you're unlikely to see one. Heck, night sights are considered "exotic" here. This was so far out of spec, and it's a simple enough device, that I don't believe I am wrong. If I get a second one and the same thing happens, then I will happily concede you were right from the beginning.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Well, he was a member here. I thought he still was, just hasn't posted in a while.
He had very bad luck with just about any new gun he purchased.

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
So, I got my new G19 MOS, Trijicon suppressor sights, and Trijicon RMR. I had the local gun store where I bought the G19 and sights install the sights. It only took the guy four tries to get the sights properly aligned...

The RMR I ordered from Optics Planet. It arrived on Thursday night and I installed it. It looked like the iron sights and the RMR were almost perfectly cowitnessed, so I made no adjustments.

On Friday afternoon, my wife and I went to the range. The iron sights of course worked properly, but right from the start the RMR dot had me shooting about eight inches low and eight inches left. I adjusted the dot up and got the point of impact to the correct level, but when I tried to get the point of impact to move right, I continued to hit left. I finally gave up when the dot was almost off the right side of the screen and I was still hitting left.

I called Trijicon yesterday and got a not too sympathetic guy on the phone. I was instructed to send the RMR back to Optics Planet for an exchange. Stay tuned for Chapter 2 of this saga.
I'm having trouble visualizing what is going on. You mentioned that the irons and the dot were perfectly co-witnessed going in. Are the irons shooting on target?

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, he was a member here. I thought he still was, just hasn't posted in a while.
He had very bad luck with just about any new gun he purchased.
Got it. Yep, take a pallet load of anything electronic and I will always select the one in the unopened box that doesn't work!

But I'm pretty good on the software side. My friends call me "Dr. Mac". Take any software program and I will be the one to run up against the technical problem that tech support can't answer. By the time I call them, I will have searched the web and found just about every fix possible that doesn't work when I try it. The usual response I get when I finally call tech support is, "We don't know."

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm having trouble visualizing what is going on. You mentioned that the irons and the dot were perfectly co-witnessed going in. Are the irons shooting on target?
The irons are dead on. No problem there. The red dot should be cowitnessed with the irons, or at least be close. The red dot was at the extreme right side of the screen and the POI is still eight inches to the left of the target. Not even close to being in the correct spot. I have cowitnessed my red dot on my AR with my iron sights, so this is not the first time I have done this procedure.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
The irons are dead on. No problem there. The red dot should be cowitnessed with the irons, or at least be close. The red dot was at the extreme right side of the screen and the POI is still eight inches to the left of the target. Not even close to being in the correct spot. I have cowitnessed my red dot on my AR with my iron sights, so this is not the first time I have done this procedure.
Wait a minute here. Just a thought (like I said before, it's been a while since I've played with mine).
Shouldn't the dot be moved to the left to move POI to the right?

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
Not doubting your experience, just trying to figure out what is going on. Does the dot move at all as you click the horizontal adjustment screw?

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I would gladly have done so if there had been someone else around experienced with red dots. Where I live in Utah, they're considered "exotic" and you're unlikely to see one. Heck, night sights are considered "exotic" here. This was so far out of spec, and it's a simple enough device, that I don't believe I am wrong. If I get a second one and the same thing happens, then I will happily concede you were right from the beginning.
FWIW, I don't believe you are wrong at all. I just always try to get the 'easy' variables eliminated quickly but I've got experienced shooters that I work with every day to go to... If you don't have that going for you then maybe it's not the easiest variable to work with :smile:

·
Registered
273 Posts
OP, Sorry to hear about your issues with the RMR and equally how Trijicon CS responded. I guess you would have just expected more from them considering the price point of their optics. I also had a RMR mounted on my G19 MOS, no issues with it functioning as one would expect. I have a Trijicon MRO on My AR again, no issues. Hopefully, the replacement will get there quickly and work as expected. Good luck.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Wait a minute here. Just a thought (like I said before, it's been a while since I've played with mine).
Shouldn't the dot be moved to the left to move POI to the right?
Yes, no, maybe?
No one here with a better memory than me when they sighted in their RMR?
I just remember turning it the way the arrows said, but don't recall which way the dot might have moved.

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
Yes, no, maybe?
No one here with a better memory than me when they sighted in their RMR?
I just remember turning it the way the arrows said, but don't recall which way the dot might have moved.
The arrows indicate the direction of bullet strike movement.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
The arrows indicate the direction of bullet strike movement.
That's the way I remember it.
Do you recall which direction the dot moved?
G26 said he moved his dot all the way to the right, but he's still shooting left. Just thinking about it I'm thinking it should work like a front sight. Move it to the left to bring POI to the right.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts