Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the high price (and lack of availability) of ammo right now and for the foreseeable future, I thought it was time to revisit the idea of an electronic training system for firearms practice. We had seen the MantisX system when we were at SHOT back in January and it looked intriguing. The reviews for the system since it was released were very good. We ordered a unit at the beginning of the week and had it in our hands by Wednesday.

The hardware is a small unit that mounts to a standard Picatinny rail, if your pistol (or rifle) is so equipped, or you can mount the unit to an accessory rail that Mantis sells that can be attached to the bottom of a magazine. To initially try it out, I mounted the unit to the rail on my Sig P229, but since they have drills where you shoot from the holster, I will probably set up a magazine for this use. Of course, if your pistol is a striker fired pistol, like a Glock, M&P, or one of the Sig models (P320 or P365), you will need to rack the slide each time you want to shoot.

The electronics unit is very small, very light, and can be recharged with a supplied USB cable that can be connected to a phone charger or similar device.

Here's a shot of the unit mounted on my Sig.

You can use any target you choose because the electronics are not dependent on the type of target. The software, which runs on an Android or Apple phone (or tablet), can be downloaded from the respective app stores and is free.

When you turn the electronics module on the gun on, it will connect to your phone as soon as you touch the connect button in the app on the screen.

There are numerous drills you can choose from including untimed drills, shot timer, surprise break, primary hand only, weak hand only, reload drills, cadence drills, hostage taker drills, etc. Supposedly, they update the software regularly, but since we just received the system I can't vouch for that.

Here's a screen shot from a series I ran with my primary hand only.

Every time you shoot, the software provides an auditory response, and records the movement of your muzzle up until and including when you pull the trigger. Here's another screen shot from a run with my primary hand only. You can actually play each of these back to see how your pistol moved. The red portion of the line is your trigger pull and shot break.

They make various models of this system that cover a range of price points. Given what ammo costs right now, I figure my wife and I will pay for this in what it would take to go to the range for what we would normally shoot in two range trips, of three to four hours each. This is a very simple system to set up and use, but provides very powerful analytical feedback tools and I find it far more interesting than dry fire by itself. I think we will definitely get our money's worth out of this in a very short time.

Here's a short promo video that provides more information.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
If ever a product was in the right place at the right time, this looks to be it. Thanks, my friend, I'll be looking into this further. Now.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I definitely want one of these. I’ve been hearing about it a lot on the concealed carry podcast. I also want to look into the LASR trainer. All good items with low ammo availability!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
This looks like a shooting analyzer. Still need something to simulate/virtualize shooting with ammo and hitting targets. Need something like a laser and camera.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This looks like a shooting analyzer. Still need something to simulate/virtualize shooting with ammo and hitting targets. Need something like a laser and camera.
What you want is a law enforcement simulator. They're great to shoot on, but just a bit out of my budget.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I have the MantisX and it is extremely helpful with outstanding support.

Reactions: G26Raven
1 - 8 of 8 Posts