Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
The idea of a 7mm sized cartridge began taking root way before when the Spanish Mauser demonstrated its superiority over the 30-40 Krag.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even the Navy, for a short time had a Lee Rifle, Model of 1895, Caliber 6mm. From 1895–1907. Old history.

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
The miltary is always looking for a new round see the the ACR program see the 1960 era stuff with duplex rounds and flechet rounds (brought back for the acr) ...We went to 556 then a bit back to 308 and 556 we felt did not have the legs for the desert fighting now ?

I really dont think we are going to switch now at lest in mass just too much ammo/guns/parts/mags etc for 556 right now ..Maybe crew service stuff or some special ops or small unit used but the M4 being turned into 6.8 not for a while

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The miltary is always looking for a new round see the the ACR program see the 1960 era stuff with duplex rounds and flechet rounds (brought back for the acr) ...We went to 556 then a bit back to 308 and 556 we felt did not have the legs for the desert fighting now ?

I really dont think we are going to switch now at lest in mass just too much ammo/guns/parts/mags etc for 556 right now ..Maybe crew service stuff or some special ops or small unit used but the M4 being turned into 6.8 not for a while
Also 300 WM, 338 and 50 cal for the long shots.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Why not just go with a 7mm-08 and call it good enough? They have good accuracy, decent long-range performance, relatively low recoil. All-in-all, it's a good round.

Does anyone care to guess at how much those plastic rounds will cost?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Why not just go with a 7mm-08 and call it good enough? They have good accuracy, decent long-range performance, relatively low recoil. All-in-all, it's a good round.
I think they are looking for a slimmer cartridge so more can be carried. Unfortunately, smaller cases and bullets mean shorter ranges and less striking power. The 7mm cartridge is much better than the wimpy 5.56mm, and I hope it is at least as effective at longer ranges as the 7.62mm.

Reactions: CavemanBob

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I certainly think the Army is on the right track. It is developing a new squad infantry weapon and new ammo together. That makes perfect sense. My guess is that it takes about 5 years until all the evaluation, selection field testing and miil-spec production begins. In the end an infantry soldier will be more lethal as a result. Based upon my ancient knowledge I think the Army is right on target with its choices when one considers the traditional combat roll of the Army. More power to them.

The Marines have chosen a different route because it is now recognized by Congress that the Marines are not a second Army. Marines are light amphibious infantry capable of sea and air assault with their own ground support aircraft. They are reorganizing not to fight the next kind of war they will be called on to fight: a fast strike to gain a foothold so a larger force can be brought in to replace them. Accordingly they have selected the M27, and H&K rifle with full auto capability. They have suppressors, red dot sight, scopes, laser options for the infantry. They use a hotter 5.56 round with longer range and greater penetration through barriers. That is there right choice for their anticipated role in future wars.

The encouraging thing is that the Army and Marines are not competing but are moving to set their own specific needs to fulfill their future roles. Even more encouraging is that the Legislative geniuses in DC are not getting in their way by insisting they use the same rifle and ammo to save costs.

I am not a rifle guy, but if I were I would be taking akin interest in the new Army ammo once it is decided upon. I think it will be a good answer to some of the shortfall s when it comes to a single round that can meet many challenges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts