Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been packing for 15 years and still need the occasional reminder to regularly check my carry gear.

Tonight's episode involved seeing a holster screw on the floor after changing into my jammies. Glad it happened at home and not lost down my pantleg in the car or walking about.

I've stepped up my dryfire game and holster/unholster about a hundred times a day, so maybe it's time to put a dab of threadlocker on it.

Also a reminder to everyone to check kydex holsters for cracks, especially the cheap stuff from Amazon and eBay.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I like to think I keep a pretty close eye on my carry, but darned if I am not continually astounded at the dust bunnies congregating in my barrel! Seems I clean it out one day and a couple of days later there's another convention going on in there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to shoot one or twice a week so the few dust bunnies in the barrel get burned away; although I inspect my guns while cleaning after shooting I really haven't developed a regular habit of checking my carry holster. I'm always amazed how much lint is inside!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Good advice for everyone to keep in mind. I plan to check mine in a few minutes.

I wonder if a light dab of clear fingernail polish would be enough to keep the screws from backing out? Just curious as to what type of holster this was....possibly a hybrid style?

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Real good advise. Had a similar thing happen.
Now I check my gear every week. Sure be embarrassing if you had to pull your weapon and it came up still holstered.

·
Premium Member
33,906 Posts
I've been packing for 15 years and still need the occasional reminder to regularly check my carry gear.

Tonight's episode involved seeing a holster screw on the floor after changing into my jammies. Glad it happened at home and not lost down my pantleg in the car or walking about.

I've stepped up my dryfire game and holster/unholster about a hundred times a day, so maybe it's time to put a dab of threadlocker on it.

Also a reminder to everyone to check kydex holsters for cracks, especially the cheap stuff from Amazon and eBay.

Chicago screws are particularly bad at coming loose in holsters. A very experienced holster maker told me it's because the thread fit is very loose with them. I no longer use them on my holsters.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Good advice for everyone to keep in mind. I plan to check mine in a few minutes.

I wonder if a light dab of clear fingernail polish would be enough to keep the screws from backing out? Just curious as to what type of holster this was....possibly a hybrid style?"

Nope, all kydex made by Dara Holsters. My experience with hybred holsters is after a year or so the leather/whatever soft side tends to fold over making reholstering difficult and dangerous (the barrel needs to be angled more toward the body rather that straight down into the holster).

I ended up putting a drop of Elmer's wood glue into the threads rather than using something like Loctite or nail polish. My thinking was if I needed to remove the screws or readjust the tension (the loose screws were for retention) it might be easier.

·
Premium Member
33,906 Posts
"Good advice for everyone to keep in mind. I plan to check mine in a few minutes.

I wonder if a light dab of clear fingernail polish would be enough to keep the screws from backing out? Just curious as to what type of holster this was....possibly a hybrid style?"

Nope, all kydex made by Dara Holsters. My experience with hybred holsters is after a year or so the leather/whatever soft side tends to fold over making reholstering difficult and dangerous (the barrel needs to be angled more toward the body rather that straight down into the holster).

I ended up putting a drop of Elmer's wood glue into the threads rather than using something like Loctite or nail polish. My thinking was if I needed to remove the screws or readjust the tension (the loose screws were for retention) it might be easier.

I carry my RMSc-equipped Shield 45 in a Dara. What came out, one of the retention adjustment screws?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"What came out, one of the retention adjustment screws?"
Yes, retention screws. One came out, the other was loose. Still the best holster I've ever had.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts