Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

Well, after wearing my 5 Stitch Instructors belt 14+ hrs a day for 5 days straight, I have made the following observations:

It supports the holster/firearm ( Def-Con OWB/5" steel frame 1911) superbly. The carry/draw characteristics are indistinguishable from my Combat Dress Belt.

It looks cool w/ jeans/BDU's and Docker type slacks.

The nylon webbing, although quite thick and with 5 rows of stitching is actually conforming itself to my waist/hipbones.

It is slightly less comfortable than my Combat Dress Belt. (This might well be due to my being fat, however. Some feedback from you slimmer guys and gals would be helpful.)
Bottom line - this really is a lot of belt for the money. It won't make me give up my Combat Dress Belts, but I sure would use one in a heartbeat.

So guys, at this point, I am planning on stocking these things. However, I want to make sure that I'm supplying you with what you actually want and need. If you could all take a minute and post, I'd sure appreciate hearing your thoughts regarding these belts and whether or not you'd like to see me stock them. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it a bunch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just got one of these Wilderness belts in the mail today. I wanted a belt that I could beat up on, crawl under the car etc. then still support a holster. It will not replace my Combat Dress Belt that I usually wear but will give me a alternative belt to use so I do not abuse my CDB. So far I have to agree it is a lot of belt for the money.

I think the Wilderness belt is perfect for the person that is just starting to CCW, needs a belt in a hurry or if someone needs to save a few bucks. I do hope that everyone still looks into a good leather gun belt, they are so nice. The guy that made my gun belt really seems to know what he is doing. He also makes really great holsters. :smile:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Looking at the website....I like the 1 1/2 inch belt, in coyote color and the 5 stitch.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well as a skinny guy..the one I wore was very workable. I didnt have it on for a couple of weeks like you but would still wear one....If I didnt have a very good leather belt already that is. :D
Shoot well.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've been using a 5-stitch 1.5 inch width belt for 6 or 8 months. Works fine and is stiff enough. Did you happen to get the "extra heavy duty polymer lining" of the Combat Shooter's Model? I did not, and have been wondering if there is some advantage to the extra stiffness.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Gary goe ahead stock them. I am still saving up for a good belt and holster to carry my 1911. I currently use a garrison belt and fobus. This combo is good for my 637, but is not all that great for my 1911. I will one day get a holster from you and a belt. :cool:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm a fat guy...belts with big buckles are no good for me. I'd rather have one of your belts Gary...

Oh wait...I AM getting one of your belts...

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Definitely a good idea Gary. I'd be interested the 1.5" 5-stitch in black of course, but the same belt in "coyote" or OD would make a good hunting and fishing belt as well. I'm thinking about the camo/stealth needs of turkey and bow hunting I guess. Plus, they'd offer a bit less "tactical" option too.

I'm a hardcore leather fan like everyone else but a good quality "beater" belt has strong appeal. I'd be really interested in your opinion of the 1.25" "Frequent Flyer" belts too if you have the chance to put that through trials. Curious if those would still fully support a heavy firearm like a steel 5" 1911.

Thanks Gary!
Jack

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll order one!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gary - I have been seriously thinking about a 5" Black WB. Would be a gift for my father and maybe a buddy of mine - so could be making three orders within the next few weeks. When do you think you will start offering them?

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anubis said:
I've been using a 5-stitch 1.5 inch width belt for 6 or 8 months. Works fine and is stiff enough. Did you happen to get the "extra heavy duty polymer lining" of the Combat Shooter's Model? I did not, and have been wondering if there is some advantage to the extra stiffness.
The sample belt that I ordered is a standard 1.5" 5-stitch model. The folks at The Wilderness advised against the polymer lining except for use as a duty belt or for competition. (BTW, this thing is PLENTY stiff for CCW applications)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a couple of the 1 1/2" Wilderness belts, one three-stitch and one Combat Shooter's Model with the polymer insert. I agree that they are a lot of belt for the money and also are good "beater" belts for times when you might damage a nice leather belt. I think they would be a good product to stock.

The three stitch is plenty rigid enough for carry. The extra stiffness of the CSM is a liability in my opinion. It is too stiff to easily thread through the slots and loop of a pancake style mag/flashlight pouch. Consequently, I never use my CSM belt when carrying, which seems bass-ackwards. The three stitch model is flexible enough, yet is sufficiently rigid to support a stainless 1911.

The only downside I see is that my holster tends to gradually slide back from my preferred 3:00 position to 3:30-4:00. I haven't had this problem with thicker leather belts. That might just be a problem with my phsique (or lack thereof). YMMV.

The Wilderness belt is more adjustable than a standard belt that limits you to using the various holes. That comes in handy after a big meal of turkey and all the fixin's. On the other hand, it doesn't give you the feedback that you're putting on pounds like a regular belt does when the normal hole gets a little snug.

As an aside, I think it speaks well of Gary's integrity that he posts a positive evaluation of a competitor's product. I doesn't surprise me in the least, but I thought I'd point that out.

SSKC

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Gary:
Any idea when you'll have the stock in house and ready to order? I noticed that WT includes the buckle width in their belt measurements, unlike leather belt makers I've worked with. You'll have measurement instructions on your website too, correct?
Thanks again,
Jack

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SSKC said:
As an aside, I think it speaks well of Gary's integrity that he posts a positive evaluation of a competitor's product. I doesn't surprise me in the least, but I thought I'd point that out.

SSKC
Thank you, sir. I appreciate your kind remarks.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maclean3 said:
Gary:
Any idea when you'll have the stock in house and ready to order? I noticed that WT includes the buckle width in their belt measurements, unlike leather belt makers I've worked with. You'll have measurement instructions on your website too, correct?
Thanks again,
Jack
I will definately have them in time for Christmas - perhaps a bit sooner. The measurement thing is a bit different than what is used to size leather belts. It is pretty straightforward, however. Just remove your present belt, wrap a tape measure around yourself (either with or without a firearm, but measure it like you intend to wear it) and snug it up about as tight as you'd wear the belt. Whatever that number is, is your correct size.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Howdy all!
I would like to sincerely thank you all for taking the time to let me know how you feel about the Wilderness belts. Given what you've had to say here, I will go ahead and order an inventory of them.
Based upon the sizes of leather belts that I typically make, I am guessing that 36, 38, 40, and 42 will be the sizes most in demand.
Also based upon what's been said here, I am also guessing that the 1.5" width will be most popular.
Please let me know what widths, sizes and colors that ya'll would prefer. I want to make sure that I have in stock the belt that you want when you call. Thanks again for the feedback.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts