Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will happen if there is a devastating fire? Or a robbery by professionals? Or you die and there is not a proof positive record of not only your firearms but all the accessories you have for them?

If you are an NRA member you automatically have $2,500 coverage in firearms insurance to cover you in the event of loss due to theft or fire. There are other forums of supplementary insurance available: Some through homeowners policy riders, and some specialty firearms insurance policies. NRA offers one.

There can be a big difference in what these policies actually cover as to replacement coverage vs. cash value at time of loss, deductible amount and whether they cover only the firearms or the "other $800 in accessories" that you spent on any one gun.

If you already have a policy it is important to review the coverage to see if you have enough. After several years we no longer had enough and had to increase our coverage. (WHERE did that extra stuff come from anyway? LOL)

You need proof of ownership or you can't collect in case of loss. Not easily, anyway. Our forms of proof are pictures of each individual firearm and its accessories (yes our policy covers accessories also), on a disc kept either in a fireproof safe or a safety depots box at the bank -- plus an Excel spreadsheet with the following columns:

Gun brand & model - serial number - caliber - date purchased - $ purchase price - $ sights if added - $ action work - $ magazines - $ holsters - $ other and of course a column for total cost. The "other" can cover things like belts, slings, carrying cases or other accessories.

Another very strong reason for an inventory sheet (Excel or notebook, whatever) is in case of death so your "heirs and assigns" have some idea of what those things can be sold for at reasonable prices and not practically given away as too often happens to widows or kids who do not know the value of any of the stuff. Too many times at our club, one of the men has received a call from a new widow who discovered a LOT of firearms and ammunition that she had no idea her husband had. And in every case there was absolutely no list, so she was at the mercy of "us good guys at the club" to purchase the guns at fair prices.

Hope the above was helpful.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
As renters, we simply have a replacement value placed on all our possessions, including gun related items. Our policy doesn't stipulate we list firearms separate. Like everything else if we want to have it covered, we try to keep receipts, take pictures, and record serial numbers. We have an additional $25K in coverage over the average for not only the guns, but all our electronics. We allowed for full MSRP on all of it, just in case.

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As renters, we simply have a replacement value placed on all our possessions, including gun related items.
You are fortunate. Our USAA homeowners policy does not cover firearms although we could have purchased that coverage as a separate rider from them.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You are fortunate. Our USAA homeowners policy does not cover firearms although we could have purchased that coverage as a separate rider from them.
That reminds me. I'm going to a homeowner's policy (vs. renter's) soon, and I'm with USAA. I should check my upcoming policy details with them.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
A few ... have personal property protection policy on them (inland marine policy)..... covers them no matter what happens to them basically.... then others covered by home owners. Inland Marine will cover even if you lose them, are run over by a truck and ruined, etc.

You reminded me of something I wanted to do though, and that's download pics and list on a USB drive, and then put that in the safe deposit box. That way if the house burns down completely or a tornado hits it, I would still have the info and proof. In the case of tornado and the whole house was gone, it was difficult to impossible for them to prove to LE they were their guns.... even though they had been found in a field or something somewhere, or to the Ins Co's.

Also have all instruments on the personal property policy as well.

Need to get a couple of pics on adds I have, and download on that USB.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
622 Posts
A couple quick thoughts to check on with your agent:

1. What's your deductible? For most homeowners it's a significant amount that may keep you from filing a claim for a smaller loss (by design, to keep claims down and therefore rates).
2. Does your policy have specified limits on firearms (or other types of property). Most companies, including the one I represent, set specific limits per item and occurrence for firearms. Some may even exclude them from coverage, depending on company and state.
3. Rather than relying on the limited nature of a homeowners/Renters policy to cover your firearms. You might consider a Personals Articles Policy. These can be written for replacement cost on specific items, including firearms, with as little as $0 deductible, and can typically cover more perils - such as loss and damage. A claim on the policy also prevents you from filing a claim on your homeowners or Renters which will result in a rating and premium increase.

That's enough work. I'm off the clock. Haha.

Reactions: jackrock

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Great thead Shooter Granny!

A separate insurance policy is maintained on the collection here. Your suggested list is maintained on computer with copies printed off and kept several places. The only thing I add to your already comprehensive list is notation, done in code, for my use only, of whether or not an ATF form was completed for each listing. Just gotta have a little tin foil about the head and ears.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Any homeowner should have a complete inventory of their belongings. The initial itemization is a pain, but as long as a review is done quarterly or every 6 months, at the longest, updates are pretty quick. In addition to a spreadsheet with details about each item, I keep electronic copies of receipts for any "big ticket" items and photos. All of this is saved to the drop-box folder on my PC. If a tornado happens to take out my home, I will still have access to the files.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keeping inventory is why I wrote Shot Works Pro a few years ago. Keeps pictures, manuals, all the info about your firearms, ammo, and accessories in a nice, highly encrypted format.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
At time of a claim weather its fire, storm or any other peril most cannot tell you what they have as personal property in there homes. I always suggest to my clients to do an inventory of their contents. At the least take pictures of each room, open cabinets, drawer and closets. If you can do a recording with one looking and one recording giving a verbal inventory down to your underwear. Guns are expensive to insure under a Homeowners policy. Best think is have a good safe. NRA has one of the best gun cover policies available. Document each gun and accessories for each. Remember they are going to give you replacement cost. That means a gun you walk out with today may not be as value tomorrow or it could be the other way with increased value. Good luck. ShooterGranny great post!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts