Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and I hope all is well with each of you, considering. I am preparing to purchase Concealed Carry Insurance. I have an idea what I'm looking for but I'd like to hear other opinions. I'm looking at Legal Shield, USCCA, and the NRA plan. I'd just like to hear from those of you who have any experience with these. Pros and cons. It looks like Legal Shield is only a law firm, and it appears USCCA offers up to $2,000,000.00 in coverage but it's unclear if this is to pay a settlement for litigation or just legal fees. The NRA Carry Guard site really gives very little information about coverage. I'm kinda confused. I do apologize for asking what I'm sure is a common question. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
Hi all and I hope all is well with each of you, considering. I am preparing to purchase Concealed Carry Insurance. I have an idea what I'm looking for but I'd like to hear other opinions. I'm looking at Legal Shield, USCCA, and the NRA plan. I'd just like to hear from those of you who have any experience with these. Pros and cons. It looks like Legal Shield is only a law firm, and it appears USCCA offers up to $2,000,000.00 in coverage but it's unclear if this is to pay a settlement for litigation or just legal fees. The NRA Carry Guard site really gives very little information about coverage. I'm kinda confused. I do apologize for asking what I'm sure is a common question. Thanks for any help.
I would recommend NRA Carry Guard.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Some folks woke up a lil grumpy this morning. If we discussed topics once, and once only, this forum would have closed down a long time ago. The OP is new to us and doesn’t deserve a sharp stick in the eye. Eatfire, I can’t help you on your question but don’t let snarly responses keep you from asking just about anything you please.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I currently have CCW Safe. They are one of the few who have successfully defended a CCW shooting. NRA Carry Guard is not offered in some states.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
After a ridiculous amount of research into the issue, I went with CCW Safe. The primary reason is its one huge advantage. There is no limit on the amount of criminal or civil defense you are covered for. And here's the thing. Everyone is worried about the costs of defending a criminal prosecution. By and large, that is NOT my primary concern. I am concerned about civil liability wherein I could lose everything I own. Remember in a criminal case the State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty of something. In a civil case, the plaintiff must only show by a preponderance of evidence that you are liable. Thus, the plaintiff's attorney argues to the jury yes, it appears that the plaintiff himself was 49% the cause of his injury, but you, the defendant were 51% guilty. Result: You are guilty. (We can leave comparative negligence issues to a later day.) Now I know what you are thinking. No worries because you live in a State that says if a court determines you acted in self defense you are shielded from civil liability. Really? Take this problem. You are involved in a very clean defensive use of firearms situation. So clean that the police do not even charge you with any offense and you sleep in your own bed tonight. Good result? Maybe. However, a couple months later you are sued for a zillion dollars either by the bad guy whom you shot, or his estate for wrongful death if you shot really well. No problem you say. Self defense, and I wasn't even charged. In other words, there was no determination by a court that you acted in self defense? Oh, now what. Are you still so sure you are protected? Don't be. There was never a court determination of anything because it never went to court. Now depending on the State, you may have some protection, but again, I would really check your state laws to be sure. You may end up spending tens of thousands of dollars in civil court to have the case against you dismissed, or worse case situation, you may lose the civil case and be subject to huge civil liability. Sorry for the long post, but these are some of the reasons I went with CCW Safe.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
No worries because you live in a State that says if a court determines you acted in self defense you are shielded from civil liability. Really? Take this problem. You are involved in a very clean defensive use of firearms situation. So clean that the police do not even charge you with any offense and you sleep in your own bed tonight. Good result? Maybe. However, a couple months later you are sued for a zillion dollars either by the bad guy whom you shot, or his estate for wrongful death if you shot really well. No problem you say. Self defense, and I wasn't even charged. In other words, there was no determination by a court that you acted in self defense? Oh, now what. Are you still so sure you are protected? Don't be. There was never a court determination of anything because it never went to court. Now depending on the State, you may have some protection, but again, I would really check your state laws to be sure. You may end up spending tens of thousands of dollars in civil court to have the case against you dismissed, or worse case situation, you may lose the civil case and be subject to huge civil liability. Sorry for the long post, but these are some of the reasons I went with CCW Safe.
Maybe, maybe not. Very state dependent.

Florida has such an immunity law (776.032) that appears to read as if civil protection were automatic if a shooting is ruled "justified" by self defense. The courts have ruled otherwise, and immunity must be applied for. As for being justified, that does not mean you must be tried and acquitted. A DA can rule as such by failing to pursue charges as the shooting being permitted per state law (Chp 776)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Quite correct Old Vet. All of this is very state law dependent. In Mas Ayoob's last book, he suggested getting a"closing statement" from the District Attorney that no charges will be filed and the case was closed thus allowing the citizen to invoke immunity without a court determination. The only problem with this, after personally discussing this with two former State's Attorneys and federal prosecutors and my own experience, no office will usually give such a written statement. I am in Illinois (I accept your condolences). Although we now have a qualified immunity law, invoking it is still problematic and there is no case law yet in the matter for Illinois. Anyway, as they say, your State law may differ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some folks woke up a lil grumpy this morning. If we discussed topics once, and once only, this forum would have closed down a long time ago. The OP is new to us and doesn’t deserve a sharp stick in the eye. Eatfire, I can’t help you on your question but don’t let snarly responses keep you from asking just about anything you please.
SVGHerartalnd, thanks for defending me. I have no animosity for the replies. I knew when I typed the question some would take offense. Nobody likes to answer the same old questions. I do appreciate the posts listed. I'm actually wondering if there is a company that offers something of an "insurance policy" that would not only offer legal coverage but assistance in paying restitution to a plaintiff in a civil suit. USCCA talks about 2 million but it's not clear if this is legal coverage only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a ridiculous amount of research into the issue, I went with CCW Safe. The primary reason is its one huge advantage. There is no limit on the amount of criminal or civil defense you are covered for. And here's the thing. Everyone is worried about the costs of defending a criminal prosecution. By and large, that is NOT my primary concern. I am concerned about civil liability wherein I could lose everything I own. Remember in a criminal case the State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty of something. In a civil case, the plaintiff must only show by a preponderance of evidence that you are liable. Thus, the plaintiff's attorney argues to the jury yes, it appears that the plaintiff himself was 49% the cause of his injury, but you, the defendant were 51% guilty. Result: You are guilty. (We can leave comparative negligence issues to a later day.) Now I know what you are thinking. No worries because you live in a State that says if a court determines you acted in self defense you are shielded from civil liability. Really? Take this problem. You are involved in a very clean defensive use of firearms situation. So clean that the police do not even charge you with any offense and you sleep in your own bed tonight. Good result? Maybe. However, a couple months later you are sued for a zillion dollars either by the bad guy whom you shot, or his estate for wrongful death if you shot really well. No problem you say. Self defense, and I wasn't even charged. In other words, there was no determination by a court that you acted in self defense? Oh, now what. Are you still so sure you are protected? Don't be. There was never a court determination of anything because it never went to court. Now depending on the State, you may have some protection, but again, I would really check your state laws to be sure. You may end up spending tens of thousands of dollars in civil court to have the case against you dismissed, or worse case situation, you may lose the civil case and be subject to huge civil liability. Sorry for the long post, but these are some of the reasons I went with CCW Safe.
Thanks for the insight. I live in California, I shouldn't have to go ant further in my explanation. I'm pretty much screwed. I realize the gravity of the situation for the most part but you have brought to light a few things I did not consider. thank you for the answer. CCW safe seems to be a favorite here, I'm going to look into that. Thank you again.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
SVGHerartalnd, thanks for defending me. I have no animosity for the replies. I knew when I typed the question some would take offense. Nobody likes to answer the same old questions. I do appreciate the posts listed. I'm actually wondering if there is a company that offers something of an "insurance policy" that would not only offer legal coverage but assistance in paying restitution to a plaintiff in a civil suit. USCCA talks about 2 million but it's not clear if this is legal coverage only.
Most, if not all, of these so-called concealed carry "insurances" are not insurances at all, merely legal services retainers. Some home owners may cover liabilities of these natures, but may require a specific rider for that extent of liability. Most will not cover an "intentional" act.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Eatfire, welcome to our fine forum. Please stay and enjoy our company.

Regarding your question, yes, the question comes up from time to time, but the subject is always worth an update.

I believe that some form of insurance is a prudent idea. Even in the likely event that you are completely in the 'right', you will need some legal guidance.
Lots of excellent alternatives. Me, I have the USCCA. I stay in the organization because of their excellent magazine, and stay with the insurance (the medium level) because it appears to fit my needs.

Some hereabouts have done excellent comparisons, and they will have learned opinions.

Regards - - DZUS

·
Registered
13 Posts
The $2 million is a combination of civil defense fees and the civil judgement payout if there should be one. They only provide $250,000 for criminal defense fees.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Buying insurance to save me from the bad guy or the bad guy's family from suing me for a clean shooting?? Ha ha ha...not in this lifetime! I'm 70 years old and they best not piss me off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts