Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife grew up with firearms in her house, but never shot. She doesn't like guns, but tolerates the fact that I have a few. She also tolerates the fact that I take my son's with me and she knows when our daughter is old enough she will go also.

Today she got an email from someone from high-school. Hasn't seen nor heard from this person in 20+ years, and doesn't want to. She couldn't figure out how they get her email address, especially since her name changed 18 years ago when we got married.

I showed her how in less then 10 minutes I could get just about anyone's email or phone number, and it didn't matter current or maiden name. Google is your best friend and at the same time worst enemy.

This really freaked her out. When I asked her in a joking manner is she ready to learn how to use my handgun, the answer was maybe. Prior I could never get past a "no" or "get lost".

A computer is a great tool, but like any other tool it can be mis-used.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
All of a sudden she feels vulnerable and threatened. Be gentle in your approach.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That is a great thread.
I am praying that she takes you up on the range offer.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There will be no pressure from me, it is all her decision. I guess the moral of the story is the more powerful and prevalent computers become the less privacy we have.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I tried this approach concerning the "information superhighway" a few years ago. Keep in mind that this was before I was active in 2A rights.

I challenged a friend of mine that I could find a great deal of info on her & her husband just on the internet. She was VERY skeptical.

Long story short, I found out her information on her & her husband for the past 5 years involving a great deal of info on their financial info, tax information, husbands business, real estate info, etc. all on the net. She was very surprised at the wealth of information I revealed to her.

Now she is a serious believer in not revealing too much info to wrong person or agency without proper "foundation" for providing such information.

I regularly try my immediate family members so I can let them know if there is any potentially damaging information on the net. Try the same on your family members.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Sometimes it takes something like this to nudge people in the right direction for self defense. Take it slow and in a loving way, and don't say "I've been trying to tell you."

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
All RIGHT! Sadly, sometimes fear is the best motivator. But at least it wasn't her being in a sudden SHTF situation, defenseless, that motivated her. This is great, I hope she decides that "maybe" quickly turns into an emphatic "yes." You never know, she may discover it's actually a lot of FUN to go to the range!

If you were closer, I'd tell you to bring her here on Saturday. 3 of the 6 of our instructors are going to the range just for fun, she'd be more than welcome to show up and get a few hours of instruction just for being there!

PM me if you think it's worth a drive to Charlotte :)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.
I told my wife that I expected her to carry at all times to protect our children. She does.

·
Registered
24 Posts
watch the local news and they will often publish a general location of an incident. like 300 block of jones road. Look it up on google maps. Pretty soon you'll have a small collection of very good info.

"Honey you know that Jack in the box over on such and such. The night manager was shot and killed there yesterday."

"Honey you know that taco bell you go to sometimes for lunch? A girl was raped in the parking lot of the apartment right behind it. Please be careful and dont go there"

Small deposits of close to home reality go a long way.

I live in Houston and there are a few very detailed mapping sites that you can subscribe to and get tons of real data. I now know where all the bad zones are where we work/shop and hang out. We stay away from those pockets of high crime.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Carry is not an option (live in NJ), I'll have to settle for home protection.
Get a TASER....

taser.com

They have more "stopping power" than any handgun at close range. You pop then and set the TASER down and you have 30 seconds to get out of Dodge. Or you can demand they hold still or you'll cook them for 30 more.

Actually I just checked and I don't think you can even own one in Jersey.

OC spray I guess?? You could move.. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts