Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While perusing a thread over at Total Protection Interactive I ran across a picture of the new "Plier Knife" from CRKT. Looks like this would be a good option for those who wear a tool-belt or do repair work and are not allowed to carry more conventional "tools." Just make sure you don't hand this to someone when they ask for your pliers :biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bud White said:
Kind of goofy looking but a neat thought for us repair men
Like the saying says "if it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid" :biggrin2:

·
Administrator
144,204 Posts
A "Fool The Brain" Knife

I like that. Somebody Had A Good Idea.

·
Super Moderator
25,605 Posts
Interesting, you have to think "shears" looking at that thing in it's sheath. Not thick enough for pliers.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
I can see it's uses, despite Euc's comment. Certainly if on belt on its own - could keep things more ''discrete''!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like the CRKT stuff, some of it is really innovative. I lost my "Stiff KISS" a few years ago, but it was a neat little knife. Still have an M16-13Z folder from them. If I was still driving a tow truck like I did in school I would try the pliers knife.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Very interesting. It's a good "undercover but in plain sight" knife, and also looks like you can get a really good grip on it for tough cutting projects. Nifty.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Euclidean said:
That's just silly. If you're wearing a toolbelt why do you need to disguise a knife?
I can think of a couple of reasons...
1) Tool-belts can often limit access to the pockets on your pants since they have pouches, ets. all over. As a result, access to your normal carry knife might be limited.

2) You might have a job that requires to you to conduct repair work in places that don't allow "weapons" (nope sorry, you can't carry a knife but the hammer, pry-bar, and screw-drivers are okay...:rolleyes: ). This might make a good "covert" option. On the other hand, I'd prefer a milled-face 22 oz. Eastwing framing hammer over a knife any day.

This may not be feasible for everyone but it might fill a niche for some.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Pat and Wes Crawford always come up with interesting stuff. Doubt I'd have a use for this but I like their Shark and a few other folders.
Jack

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nifty. You might want to double-check your local laws though. I'm talking out of my... posterior here, but I could imagine that weapons disguised as other items are illegal in some states.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Weapons in Disguise? TRANSFORMERS! More than meets the eye!

ibex said:
Nifty. You might want to double-check your local laws though. I'm talking out of my... posterior here, but I could imagine that weapons disguised as other items are illegal in some states.
How about a rolled up newspaper? I can kill you very dead with a rolled up newspaper. But what crime is some cop going to charge me with as he spots me strolling along the block with the NY Times rolled and snug beneath my arm?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I just ordered this Crawford PK from my supplier. Retail says something like $39.99 but my guy says $25 total. So why not? Good to keep in the truck.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
A Buddy....

GoodSamaritan said:
ExSoldier, where are you ordering it from?
A guy in my IDPA Club is a dealer and for club members, he gives dealer pricing. I got 4 sets of 5*11 Tactical pants for under $30 per pair. I'm in the process of getting a Galco gunbelt, the"concealable" model for about $60 (retail from Galco is $107). His is a startup operation at this moment, he is a fulltime "Financial Analyst" changing careers. His outfit is so new, even his web page is "under construction." But judging by my orders and the rest of the club's, he'll be going like gangbusters soon.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
277 Posts
ExSoldier:

I'm not talking about "improvised" weapons. A newspaper used as a weapon is still a newspaper (except maybe in the UK). What I was trying to say is that it might be different with a gun or a knife disguised as e.g. a walking cane.

I agree that a law against such weapons doesn't make much sense. But unfortunately that doesn't mean that there are no such laws. I just recommend that you make sure you know your local laws and stay legally safe.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Disguised vs Improvised

ibex said:
ExSoldier:

I'm not talking about "improvised" weapons. A newspaper used as a weapon is still a newspaper (except maybe in the UK). What I was trying to say is that it might be different with a gun or a knife disguised as e.g. a walking cane.

I agree that a law against such weapons doesn't make much sense. But unfortunately that doesn't mean that there are no such laws. I just recommend that you make sure you know your local laws and stay legally safe.
Ahhhh gotcha. There are certain items like the cell phone that is really a four shot electrically actuated 9mm firearm (firing all four rds at once) that of course come under these laws....

I would actually prefer that which I mentioned which would be the improvised weapon.....that is legal but under the radar until used.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts