Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a letter from the American Federation of Police & Concerned Citzens asking me to join them. for $75.00 i get a badge, a wallet to put it in,1 year membership, car emblem, subscription to Police Times, admission to the museum and range discounts. get this, they want me to send my license number, photo copy preferred. i don't think so. anybody else get this letter? p.s. the vice president is a cop in the next county whose dept. is being investigated for assorted problems.

·
Registered
330 Posts
With the recent events in NOLA, I'd be more tempted to send them a DVD of a grandmother being tackled, disarmed, and forced out of her home by the CHP.

·
Administrator
143,806 Posts
I would pass on that "deal"

The wallet that they give you will have $75.00 less dollars in it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no way i'm giving them $75.00. if i wanted a badge i could get one for $5.00 at a show.i just hope nobody gives them their license number, much less a photocopy.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd call up his department IAD and ask: WTF?

craig45 said:
p.s. the vice president is a cop in the next county whose dept. is being investigated for assorted problems.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Is that a rotten fish odor I detect??

Fish - spelled S-C-A-M??

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
This ain't Denmark, but something smells. I have a badge for you for only $50. You need a scissors to cut it out.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think I'd send them a letter saying "I was born at night, just not last night". :biggrin:

Does the small print have a request for your SS card as well?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Craig45, You also need to tell these kind folk that the badge was a CCW badge that also had "FLA" stamped on it.(I got the same mail yesterday over here in PNS.) First thing that I said to myself is,do the cops condone carring and displaying a CCW "badge"? It also stated that this was a "concealed weapons shield".Also they(in their paperwork) call this a "Firearms Safety Badge". The info also sez "The American Federation of Police and Concerned Citizens has available a shield shown above that is designed to PREVENT (if your firearm becomes accidentally exposed) you being taken as a criminal." The paperwork also eludes to the fact that this "organization" has some kinda ties to the National Association of Chiefs of Police. WOW !! Will post more info from this mailing later today. This little tidbit will give ya'll something to chew on for now.-------------

·
Super Moderator
13,208 Posts
Some of the organizations that claim to be raising money for various police and firemen needs are too often helping themselves far more than helping the people they claim. For example, they may keep a large percentage of the donated monies and only give a small portion to the police or fire.

I've asked them and one was honest enough to tell me the percentage passed on to the policeman's fund in this case; it was something like 20%.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rssz.. i see you got the same thing. lets see, costs me $75.00 for a shield in case somebody sees my gun. costs me $00.00 for keeping my gun concealed. hmmm, tough choice. i went to their web site and the vice pres.'s name is the same as a local homebuilder. i wanna find out if he's even on the force just to satisfy my own curiosity. no way i'm joining. just thought i'd put it on here to see if anybody else got one too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Since I got in to carry'in I have seen the ads for those badges and also at gun shows. They look like they would just get you into trouble. Does anybody use one of these and does anyone know if the cops 'approve' of you using one as ID or wahtever they are supposed to be for?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
XD - In discussion previously on this subject (CCW ''badges'') - the general concensus is a no-no - and I agree.

Concealed is concealed which means nothing advertizes the status quo - and second, anything that might smell of ''impersonating a police officer'' is likely to induce bad karma.

Strikes me it is really only cop wannabees and macho young CCW's who want to display some power or importance - it'd be less the badge in fact and more - ''look at me - I gotta gun''!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Me Too

I got my letter today. Same outfit, same deal. Looks like all CCW's in Florida are on the list. Next question---How did they get my name and address? The letter is addressed to me as a CCW holder. Who told them? Sounds very fishy to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I checked out their website. Dues are $36/yr, not $75. You get an ID card, Police Times magazine and window decal for your car. Could not find any reference to a badge. One of the benefits is a $10,000 crime related death insurance benefit. I wonder if maybe someone is using these guys as a front for a scam? They claim 100,000 members nationwide and have been active for 35 years. They're based in Titusville, FL.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just sent them an email outlining the info you guys have received. I asked them if these are legitimate emails. We'll see what happens. The badge thing really bugs me. I know a local resident here who carries one of those "Concealed Weapon Permit" badges. I keep a lot of distance between him and me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
older gunner... they probably got your name the same way our local paper got their list. they bought it from the state. they say it's "public information". that's what really irks me. i'm on another list.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
buzzg said:
I just sent them an email outlining the info you guys have received. I asked them if these are legitimate emails. We'll see what happens. The badge thing really bugs me. I know a local resident here who carries one of those "Concealed Weapon Permit" badges. I keep a lot of distance between him and me.

Buzz, you beat me to the punch. I also checked and it seems, up front, like a decent organization and then again some other stuff activates my BS detector. First, their donation page is not https (not secured) which makes me veeeeeeery uneasy about making a donation. That on itself might just mean they have a dumb *ss webmaster and not an indication of misdeed.
The website's registrant address is in Miami-Dade county but the phone number given is for Broward County. Again, not a true indication of misdeed, but that's 2 strikes in my GutFeeling Meter.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt and try to see if they answer Buzz's email before sending the hound dogs after them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CCW and American Federation of Police & Concerned Citzens

got a letter from the American Federation of Police & Concerned Citzens asking me to join them. for $75.00 i get a badge, a wallet to put it in,1 year membership, car emblem, subscription to Police Times, admission to the museum and range discounts. get this, they want me to send my license number, photo copy preferred. i don't think so. anybody else get this letter? p.s. the vice president is a cop in the next county whose dept. is being investigated for assorted problems.
Hello... I know that it is 2006 now but I hope you can still get this message...
I just went to the American Federation of Police & Concerned Citizens website (googled it up, hopefully got the right one) but I found no link or reference whatsoever on the badge. I found two types of car emblems in their online shop but nothing on a badge. The link to joining to get a membership does not work either... So I did not find any good info on memberships...
Any info on this please? Thank you so much!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts