Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While returning from Seattle to New York last night, my wife and I stopped in to one of the terminal bars for a snack.

There were two signs posted on the bar: "No Minors In Bar Area". Under this sign was another: "No Firearms Permitted".

Now, this seemed strange because the bar was after terminal security and screening! I thought this quite unusual, and was wondering if there is a Washington State law that requires this posting at all bars. Anyone know?

Sorry the photo quality is poor, it was a quick picture with my BlackBerry.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Well, it is consistent with state law... weapons are prohibited in:

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places ? Local laws and ordinances ? Exceptions ? Penalty.

RCW 9.41.300
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that firearms and other weapons are prohibited in the area.

continued...

(5) The perimeter of the premises of any specific location covered by subsection (1) of this section shall be posted at reasonable intervals to alert the public as to the existence of any law restricting the possession of firearms on the premises.
It is kinda ironic that they have a duplicate firearm sign inside the sterile area.

At least it is consistent with state law...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Bureaucracy removes all possibilities for common sense. I guarantee that despite being in a "sterile" area, if they didn't have the proper signs posted they would be fined. England isn't the only Nanny State.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bureaucracy removes all possibilities for common sense. I guarantee that despite being in a "sterile" area, if they didn't have the proper signs posted they would be fined. England isn't the only Nanny State.
Sad, but very true. Common sense has never had a seat with politics.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Case in point, on the small bag of Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts there is the following:

WARNING - THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS

sigh........

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Whew. It is good to know that should a BG get his firearm past security, that I am safe in that bar knowing that he would obey the sign and not go in with his firearm.

BTW, what about air marshals? Do they have to obey that sign?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Case in point, on the small bag of Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts there is the following:

WARNING - THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS

sigh........
Yes, that was my point, exactly. Stating the obvious.

BTW, what about air marshals? Do they have to obey that sign?
I would assume they do not have to obey it. Also, as a pilot myself (assuming I could get past the checkpoint), would I have to obey it?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Funny! I think we found the purpose of that sign! LEO's (including federal) are exempt from the prohibited locations by state law, but pilots are not.

(6) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(a) A person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments, while engaged in official duties;

(b) Law enforcement personnel,...
So the purpose of the sign is: if an armed pilot goes for a beer before their flight, they can't take their firearm with them!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the purpose of the sign is: if an armed pilot goes for a beer before their flight, they can't take their firearm with them!
:rofl: That makes lots of sense! There is of course, an FAA regulation against drinking and flying, so I'm not sure how a pilot would interpret that sign!

As pilots say, "8 hours bottle to throttle"!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
OK. An armed drunk pilot. Who did you say you flew for? I think I want to change my flight. Same goes for the air marshal on that flight.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. An armed drunk pilot. Who did you say you flew for? I think I want to change my flight. Same goes for the air marshal on that flight.
I am a private pilot, not commercial. I fly for myself, my family and my friends! (Sober!)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I am a private pilot, not commercial. I fly for myself, my family and my friends! (Sober!)
So you are the pilot, air marshal and flight attendant. Do you get three times the pay then? :yup:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you are the pilot, air marshal and flight attendant. Do you get three times the pay then? :yup:
LOL! I also own my own company. That makes me CEO, president, and janitor!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
OK. An armed drunk pilot. Who did you say you flew for?
lol. An armed drunk pilot. I am only one of those...

There appears to be a scenario where and armed pilot could legally go for a drink in the sterile area and not violate any flight rules. If they legally carried and went for a drink after landing on their way home...?
This thread has necessarily deteriorated to silliness. I love it.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol. An armed drunk pilot. I am only one of those...

There appears to be a scenario where and armed pilot could legally go for a drink in the sterile area and not violate any flight rules. If they legally carried and went for a drink after landing on their way home...?
This thread has necessarily deteriorated to silliness. I love it.
Yes Nutz, I think you found the one scenario where it would be legal. I for one, do not want to test it though!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Northwest"s new slogan:

"We promise to get you within 150 miles of your destination...or your money back!"

"Special - Round-Trip Flights - $25!!!* (Certain restrictions apply)
(* Ticket holder must be at least 21 years of age and be willing to pilot the aircraft --- lessons available at reduced rates....)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Funny! I think we found the purpose of that sign! LEO's (including federal) are exempt from the prohibited locations by state law, but pilots are not.
If we're talking about armed commercial airline pilots, they are considered federal LEO's under the "Federal Flight Deck Officer" program.

Now, this seemed strange because the bar was after terminal security and screening! I thought this quite unusual...
Could be mandated under state law. Or possibly a generic requirement from the business' insurance company.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The Chili's restaurant and bar in Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston (Terminal A) has the Texas mandated "51%" sign (meaning no licensed concealed handguns in the establishment since at least 51% of their revenue comes from alcohol sales for on premesis consumption). The bar is inside the security checkpoints. You can always pick the travelers that are Texas CHL holders from overhearing the conversations discussing the idiocracy of it all...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If we're talking about armed commercial airline pilots, they are considered federal LEO's under the "Federal Flight Deck Officer" program.

Could be mandated under state law. Or possibly a generic requirement from the business' insurance company.
I see. I don't know much agout the Federal Flight Deck Program.

Yes, the sign is mandated by state law as was discussed earlier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts