Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mixed reviews about internal sight on Glocks and 1911's. Some people swear by them and then I have heard some peeps are having trouble with them getting off target after shooting with them for a while.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Springer - I think there are one or two folks here who have them or have tried them so - should be some direct feedback.

I am CT all the way and swear by those, three on revo's and three on SIG's. Apart from a small parallax error, which is inevitable they do well - and for me, once set up do not change zero one bit.

I am I guess too, less anamored of the integral types, partly because even in a small way they have to be integrated into the gun - and also - there is the switching issue - on my CT's it is ideal - master switch and then the pressure switch actuated when gun gripped - no fuss, they work good.

Oh and yeah - I guess I am a bit biased! :smile:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a Lasremax in my G26. I like it, although I had to send it back once because it fell appart. Lasermax fixed it at no charge.

I don't like the pulsing laser, solid is in my vie eaiser to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Lasermax in my G23. and i absolutely love it. it is within 1/4" of the sights at 20 yds. adds nothing at all to the outside of the weapon. and the included replacement takedown latch/on-off switch is right under my trigger finger when indexed along the frame. it also makes it a little easier to get a hold of when removing the slide. only problem i ever had with it was when a friend dropped the slide on an empty gun, it stopped working that instant. Lasermax replaced it for me at half price since it was well beyond the warranty period. even gave me new batteries for it.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I've had both lasermax and CT.............in Glocks and Sigs.
I prefer the Crimson Trace (CT) unit because the light doent's pulsate, and the batteries last longer on the CT as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
P95Carry said:
Springer - I think there are one or two folks here who have them or have tried them so - should be some direct feedback.

I am CT all the way and swear by those, three on revo's and three on SIG's. Apart from a small parallax error, which is inevitable they do well - and for me, once set up do not change zero one bit.

I am I guess too, less anamored of the integral types, partly because even in a small way they have to be integrated into the gun - and also - there is the switching issue - on my CT's it is ideal - master switch and then the pressure switch actuated when gun gripped - no fuss, they work good.

P95 - so the CTs use a pressure switch that activates when you hold the gun? That sounds much more convenient that the other sights that I've seen advertised. I don't have any experience with laser sights but was thinking about one for my SP 101. At the ranges that you'd use an SP 101 do you think they are worthwhile?

And, if you don't mind, where did you buy yours and about how much do they cost?

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
LaserMax In A Glock 36

Laser is Dead On The Money ~ No functioning problems...the on/off switch is quite small but, it works fine. Overall I like it.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
CT all the way, esp for dry fire steadiness and point practice. I keep it switched off for carry (dead giveaway and a distraction) but would switch on to hold BG at laser point.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
TonyW said:
P95 - so the CTs use a pressure switch that activates when you hold the gun? That sounds much more convenient that the other sights that I've seen advertised. I don't have any experience with laser sights but was thinking about one for my SP 101. At the ranges that you'd use an SP 101 do you think they are worthwhile?

And, if you don't mind, where did you buy yours and about how much do they cost?
Chris has so many pairs of CT;s were pretty sure he gets a big discount eve though he denys it
:image035:

·
Registered
791 Posts
:haha:

Maybe I'll have to ask him to pick me up a set and get that good deal!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
P95Carry said:

I have CT's on two of my guns - wish they'd make them to fit my latest - S&W CS45. I asked when\if for that one - answer was no plans at present time. I wish some for another gun would fit the CS45 too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Until recently, with Glocks, the only real choice was the LaserMax internal although you could find some that required substantial modification of the firearm and were affixed to the front of the trigger guard. I have both a G26 and 36 with the LaserMax and not had a bit of problem with them. Battery life is not great however. I have no issue between a pulsating laser and one that is constant but the brightness and distance at which the LaserMax is visable is not very impressive.

With the recent advent of the Crimson Trace external grip lasers for Glocks, I think LaserMax sales will decrease. I tried the CTs on a G23 and was very impressed. They are brighter and best of all, adjustable, whereas the internal laser is not. The CT external laser in no way interfered with my grip on the G23 and was quite comfortable. It stays firmly affixed to the grip and quite frankly, I think they will prove to be a better choice. Their retail price is slightly under the comparable LaserMax as well.

In response, I've read that LaserMax is going to be/is developing external units as direct competition with Crimson Trace products. If that's so, it's good for all of us because prices will come down like they did with night sights when multiple suppliers emerged.

·
Registered
540 Posts
realtor said:
... The CT external laser in no way interfered with my grip on the G23 and was quite comfortable. It stays firmly affixed to the grip and quite frankly, I think they will prove to be a better choice. Their retail price is slightly under the comparable LaserMax as well....
True, I have the CT on my 92F and actually it fits my had a bit better. However, I have a problem with it fitting ingo my holster.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had 5 CT's, 1 LaserMax, & 1 PocketSlipper(for a P3AT). CT is definitely more intuitive to use & easier to see. LaserMax used to say their laser pulsated to save batteries - - then CT came out & said they'd give free batteries if their's ever ran out (offer only lasted a year - just long enough to make the point). A CT on a J-frame takes it's accuracy from 3-yards to over 20-yards.

No laser is much good in bright sunlight - - or when it doesn't work for any reason.... so keep practicing with iron sights.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don't have an internal laser sight on any of my guns, but I have several that either attach to the rail or are made for a specific gun. My Bersa Ultra Compact 45 has a laser and holster that's made specifically for it (similar position as the internal laser, under the barrel). It's accurate, doesn't interfere with the gun and eliminates my having to actually aim the gun. I simply point, then line up the laser with where I want the bullet to hit. My avatar shows a target I used both my iron and laser sight on. The upper was the guns factory sight and the bottom with the laser. Notice the impact point are nearly identical at 30 feet. Below are links to the photos if you want a better look at the target or to see the gun.

Having a laser doesn't mean you can quit using the iron sights. Laser's don't work in bright light and they can break or have the batteries quit. Like the scope on a rifle, they're an aid that helps make your shots easier and quicker, but they're no replacement for good marksmanship and practice.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=597&d=1125212080
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=794&d=1130421223

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hehe - That solves your avatar mystery Robert!! All this time when I glanced at it - I had thoughts of it being a well shot-up hard drive :18:

Of course, compared with ''real thing'' - it is not like a hard drive at all LOL! This old W Digital was ''Contendered'' at 100 yds :evil: :biggrin2:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hehe - That solves your avatar mystery Robert!! All this time when I glanced at it - I had thoughts of it being a well shot-up hard drive :18:

It has crossed my mind more than once!:haha:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the Lasermax unit in both a Glock Model 23 and a Model 30. The laser in the 23 is much brighter with a bigger dot and I like it a lot better that the much smaller dot from the Model 30 unit. I talked with Lasermax direct about the difference between the two, they said the laser for the Model 30 had to be smaller because the 30 was a smaller frame gun, therefore the dot would be smaller.

Never had a problem with batteries, I keep a spare set for each just in case.

I am now looking at the CT for my S&W model 686 and also for my Airweight Model 637. Should have one soon to check out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have used a lasermaxed G19 and a CTed 1911 enough to know that if I decide to put a lasersight on something, it will be made by CT.

The lasermax seemed dim, the batteries were new. The pulsating dot was annoying, when I could see it. I didnt like the switch, it kept coming on accidently when holstering.

The only think I hate about the CT grips is that they prevent the use of my carry holsters, Milt Sparts SS-IIs. If not for that, I may have a set on my carry guns.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am ready to add a laser to my Glock 23 and have done quite a bit of research on both the LaserMax and the CT. Both have features that I like, both have some that makes me hesitate in deciding between the two. I've found some informative post on both and was glad to use them. What I have NO use for is post by people who have no actual hands-on experience with them. Although I respect the opinions of those who do not like the idea of a laser sight, my decision to add one to my Glock has already been made.

For me, what it comes down to, is the fact that the CT model for the G23 is not yet available. I did find a web site that list them as being "in stock," but my local gun shop called CT for availabiltiy and they were told that it would be "mid-January, maybe mid-Feb."

If the CT model was available today, I'd still be wondering which to buy. What would decide for me would be a side-by-side, hands-on comparison.

Failing that, I'll probably go with what is available.

mm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts