Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma. I currently live in Idaho. Buying a gun here is easy, in and out in like 20 minutes.

I'll be in Oklahoma for 10 weeks starting in about a month. Will I be able to purchase guns while I'm a "temporary resident" there? How does that work?

I'll be there for over 2 months, so I could get a driver's license while I'm there, sorta establish residency. Not really a problem, because I'll be moving to Utah as soon as I leave Oklahoma.

On the same note. My Idaho CCW is honored in both OK and UT. I know Utahans get Idaho permits all the time, due to reciprocity, etc. If I am a UT resident, I know my ID CCW will still be legit, but will I have to get a resident CCW as well????? Or, will I be OK with the ID permit??

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
jar - I cannot advise with authority but - I would guess, as in many states, 90 days would be required to establish true residency - until that time IMO you'd be relying on your home state re a DL and CCW.

Purchases I think will depend on longarm or handgun. The former should be OK but latter, would usually have to be FFL to FFL one state to the other. If you have a friendly FFL at home to take delivery of a handgun then it should be possible to buy one in OK and ship it back for later collection.

Others may either correct me or add to the subject.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That is interesting, I know in Missouri you have to live here for 6 months before you are considered a resident. I would believe that Chris is right on how you would need to do it tho.

Most state laws are stupid in this matter.

Ti.

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
jarhead79 said:
On the same note. My Idaho CCW is honored in both OK and UT. I know Utahans get Idaho permits all the time, due to reciprocity, etc. If I am a UT resident, I know my ID CCW will still be legit, but will I have to get a resident CCW as well????? Or, will I be OK with the ID permit??
My suggestion would be start with packing.org, I would guess that a CCW would be much like a drivers permit, You have so many days to transfer your permits over.

If your current CCW is good in the new State your approval should be a given!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess I need to buy what I might want before I leave Idaho, otherwise, I won't get anything for a few months...not like that would hurt.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Your purchases will need to go to your HOME state, where you hold residence...........which means,,,,,,,,,,, where your drivers' License states you live......We see it all the time. Military people, who are stationed at a base. within the Stae they're making the purchase, and can produce their orders, can buy the weapon in the state where they're residing under their orders.. We take cpoies of everything <for the feds and our records> and make the sale.......It's legitimate

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Sounds to me

Like the Perfect reason to buy that "Special" CCW pistol now.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it "illegal" to have someone else purchase a gun for you???

Say I know someone in Oklahoma who can pass the background check, etc. Could I give them money and have them buy guns???

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Indeed 100% yes!

That would be a ''straw purchase'' - one of the biggest no-no's there is!

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
jarhead79 said:

Say I know someone in Oklahoma who can pass the background check, etc. Could I give them money and have them buy guns???
:spankme: <-----------you're gonna get one of these from Uncle Sam should you conduct a "Straw Purchase" You'll get a visit from the Feds, not to mention both of you WILL do time in "Bubba's House" ya REALLY want that to happen? :nono:
If you'd like to contribute to MY "gift list" just send the money to me, and I'll buy my "gift" <just Kidding>
I'd steer a WIDE Berth from that type of transaction, cuz whomever the dealer is, they'll catch on real quick, and make that call........:yup: Please don't risk it.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
When I moved from California to Idaho, I had to wait six months to be a resident.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I believe the 4473 says six months.

I can check at the shop tomorrow - don't have one here.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ghost - don't panic!!

Yes of course you can sell a gun - but how you do it can matter. If OK in your state you can ftf without paperwork tho that said - it would be for you to be sure the buyer is clean and not debarred from possession.

If selling across state lines then the FFL aspect comes in.

The ''straw'' purchase is in effect simply buying on someone else's behalf - which can be a way to get around a third party's non elligibility - thus it is usually a criminal act. Using let's say your ''clean'' NICS to circumvent an otherwise illegal purchase of another.

A bona fide purchase as a gift for a spouse would usually be OK.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
P95Carry said:
A bona fide purchase as a gift for a spouse would usually be OK.

Just so I'm clear on this. If I wanted to give my brother-in-law a gift (as in whatever gun he chooses), is there anything wrong with buying a gift certificate -a really BIG one- for him at the gun store and then letting him go pick out whatever he wanted? It'd be his gun and he'd be filling out the 4473. Seems like this would be okay but I wouldn't want to get into an "iffy" situation by any means.
Jack

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Ghost Rider said:
Whoa!

Please educate me. Does "Straw Purchase" that you guys are talking about mean I can't sell one of my pistols?
Ghost.. Chris (p95) is correct............you CAN make a purchse for a Spouse as a gift. In NH, we can transfer ownership of weapons, but a bill of sale type paper. Both individuals keep the paper in a secure and safe place for future reference, should they need to produce it. I'd only make this type of sale, to somebody whom I knew REALLY WELL.
The best way, however, is to go spend the money, and have a dealer transfer it for you. (split the transfer fee) This way, you're clear of any reprocussions that may insue, should the weapon be used in an unlawful manner.
Just my 02 worth.. but would probably save you a lot of grief

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jack - if you give a gift 'cert but the purchase itself is technically made by the real buyer (your BIL in the example) - zero problem because he would do the 4473 - his info and declaration.

It is that latter which is critical - the fact that no one else were to do it for him. The funding aspect is incidental.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Jarhead, give Steve (the owner) a call, here: http://www.savagetradingusa.com/home.html
He would be able to give you exactly the info you need.
There are bigger shops, but Savage, and Mustang Gun & Pawn (Randy) are about the friendliest, in the OKC area. If you'll be closer to Tulsa, let me know, i know a dealer out that way also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts