Defensive Carry banner

Intervention Rule?

• Absolute "For me and mine, ONLY!"

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • I'll NOT stand idly by.

Votes: 66 17.5%
  • Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions.

Votes: 275 72.8%
  • I don't honestly know.

Votes: 25 6.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, maybe I'm the only one who has "problems" reading threads about getting involved in a situation that involves perceived threats to other than ourselves or family members.

I'd like to get a better idea of how people really feel about this. This time, I will NOT argue my views, but sit back quietly and learn from others.

No specific scenario, just the broad picture of seeing another individual (a total stranger,) being threatened with what you perceive to be a credible threat to their life, or at the least, a credible threat of serious bodily harm.

What I want to know is, do you personally have a policy of

1. Absolutely "For me and mine, ONLY."
2. "I will NOT stand idly by"
3. Primarily "me and mine," but may intervene under some conditions.
4. I honestly do not know.

If you want to explain you choice, feel free to do so. I will NOT argue against you, as that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'd rather understand you.

If you can do it, it would be nice if you place a vote and give some sort of explanation of why you voted that way, without arguing against the explanation of others. We have several threads currently on-going where many of us, (including me,) are having that discussion, right now. I thought this might go smoother if we left the back-and-forth thing in those other threads.

The above is just a suggestion, it really isn't up to me anyway.

Tell you what, you don't have to follow my "rule," but I will. :biggrin2:

mm

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
My views are allready out there for anyone who wants to search the forum i wont re hash them here either lol

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
AS long as this stays Friendly it will be Let Run No Fighting or Flameing i know this is a touchy subject so Everyone has been warned

Primarily "for me and mine," but may intervene under certain conditions is my vote

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yes as Bud said - we must be sure to keep things cool as it is an emotive subject.

I voted #3 Mike and it seems that is so far the leader. I will not get involved by default and easy choice - it is not my plan to be a hero, an LE wannabe or ninja.

That said and as I say so often - circumstances alter events and so it would be judged at the time - prefering lack of involvement but getting involved if my conscience and judgement dictated such. That is about as specific as I think I can ever be.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Mike, I voted "I'll NOT stand idly by." Although I debated over choosing 3 or 4. I would not be able to live with myself if I allowed a fellow human being to be hurt or killed if I were able to prevent it. I have no desire to be a LE or a hero either, but my upbringing and my Christian faith teach me that my life is worthless unless I use it for a greater good. This doesn't always require me to risk life and limb for another, but in the situation where that is what is required I must commit myself to it.

This in no way denigrates people who would choose 1 or 3 as their choice. This decision would be a very personal thing. I believe that most of us who are on this forum would in this type of situation intervene provided there was an actual possibility of saving a life.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Barring something like the Tacoma mall shootings, Luby's, etc., etc., where the BG is obviously a "BG", and intervention will clearly enhance/preserve the well-being/survival of others- "For me and mine, only".

·
Registered
835 Posts
+1 to the prevailing sentiment so far.

I carry for myself and my family's protection. Under dire circumstances, if I have the ability to safely assist someone in need, I believe I would do so.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I have to also agree with the majority here.

Although my reasons for carrying are to protect 'me and mine', I have a personal loathing for predators and would find it difficult to just stand-by and watch a stranger be killed when I have to ability to intervene.

My actions, or lack thereof, would greatly depend on the circumstances.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I have had 2 incidences where I intervened, fortunately neither involved actually shooting; 1 I did draw, thumb the hammer on a single action revolver and aim. The second I just pulled back my jacket to show I was armed and that ended it; this case involved a family I was friends with, but the first was a case of 3 girls that were total strangers swimming in an abandoned quarry.

I am not saying I will intervene in any and all situations, but I don't think I could live with myself if I walked away and a woman was raped. Also coming home yesterday from a weekend trip I noticed that I check out the situation when a state trooper that has someone stopped to see if things look calm as I pass by. I rode on patrol with a sheriffs deputy buddy of mine for 7 years and I guess i still feel something of a bond there.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
#3 If wife and kids are with me.
But on the job Always.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I wouldn't be able to go through life trying to forget what happened when I could have helped.

Just imagine replaying in your mind over and over, a woman getting beaten by some thug. Or some old lady getting her purse taken and watching her 80 year old husband getting stabbed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I vote primarly for me and those with me,,,but will jump in based on sitsuation,,,I'm retired now, but still carry the badge and retirement cred's issued me,, so depending on what was going on,and who it involved, I would become a class A witness

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
I chose no.2.

Two things...

First...
I dont beleive in coincidences. Everything happens for a purpose. If I find myself in a situation where my fellow man needs help and the Good Lord has given me the ability and the wisdom to deal with it, then I'm going to do my best...for the person that needs it and for the Lord.

Two...
I beleive in the "Golden Rule."
To paraphase it, it simply means to "treat others as you would you would like to be treated.

I am L.E. and its simply not in me to stand idly by when others need assistance. Its probably the very reason that I became a Reserve Deputy years ago.

I also understand the postition of others and I can respect that.
In todays legal environment, one must think very seriously before they intervene due to the legal ramifications. But you know what? I'll be DANGED if I let some pissant lawyer dictate how I help my fellow man.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I voted #2 while leaning towards #3. Like HotGuns said, I will not allow a greedy lawyer to dictate my actions. I recognize that intervention may result in a legal battle and have accepted that. Naturally, every situation is different. I'm not going to shoot unless the bad guy is very clearly a bad guy. The Tacoma mall shooter comes to mind. He would have gotten no warning or hesitation from me, just several incoming rounds. The man in the mirror will be the final judge. He won't let me watch people die if I can prevent it, regardless of the cost.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I chose #3 as well. If i am alone or with my family I will always be vigilant of my surroundings. If someone's life is actually in danger i will do my best to help that situation. Im not looking to be a hero but as others have said, my morals wont let me just pass it by if i could have helped that persons well being.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I voted #2. Circumstances vary so it's hard to say what I would do in every case but I hope I would try to help my fellow man or woman should they be in a life threatening situation.

I don't know if you all remember the abduction and killing of Katie Pourier(sp) a few years ago here in Minnesota. She was working alone in a convience store when she was abducted. I have a daughter about her age and I think if I was there that night she would be alive today. No matter how much the lawyers scare us I would not let this happen. I would hope someone would do the same for my daughter if it was her in that situation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
HOnesty I don't know what I would do in that situation (as that was what I voted). I do hope that in a situation like that I would be able to do something to help out.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Legal aspects keep many circumstances left alone but if it comes down to life or death of a GG then I have no doubt I would help an innocent person in need. The legal system is at fault for even having a poll for such a thing and we should not have to second guess our actions to do the right thing and help someone in need and end up in court fighting for your freedom because of an overzealous DA that wants to set an example of you or fear that the BG's family will sue you for everything you have because you shoot there criminal son or daughter.

If the legal ramifications do not make one think long and hard about taking action! they don't have anything to protect from the court system because that is what it comes down to. The court system put's all of us in a position we shouldn't have to be, in order to protect another.

I also have a problem with people "NOT" taking there own action and protecting themselves and there own (the sheeple) or anti's against threat's/attacks and will leave things up to the police and or a CHL permit holder to take action and protect them. I would bet that 9 out of every 10 times something goes down a CHL permit holder will be in a better position to end a threat in the real world. So with this, it even makes things much harder for me at least in making a decision to intervene.

Ti.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Put me down for "primarily for me and mine, but..."

Given certain circumstances, I believe I would get involved

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Like so many others here, I chose #3. The safety of my family and myself are the primary reasons I carry though I can imagine a few circumstances where I'd be compelled to intervene. The problem is, there are so many variables that it's impossible to say what I'd do in a given situation. Anything short of a rape or a child in danger I'd have to let the situation dictate my actions.
Jack

1 - 20 of 111 Posts