Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am Patrick, from Central California.

I have a question about a Colt Mustang .380, which I have noticed is not on the list of approved handguns in California. I received the pistol many years ago as a present. It has never been registered with the State. Because it is not on the approved list, but I am not trying to sell it, can I register it and still legally possess it? I cannot find an answer to that.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Not an expert you are best off to contact the state on this one.
I believe the "approved list" is for guns that are approved for sale in the state.
I think it is different from guns that are outright illegal to possess in CA. Like if it has a threaded barrel, second hand grip etc.
I also think the only reason it is not on the approved list is that it is an out of production gun.
You can't buy an out of production gun in cali but you can own one.
If a gun shop has one they can only sell it out of state.
Please do not take what I am saying as gospel truth, I live in Texas. But I believe it to be good information.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Welcome form Florida.
Kilted Cowboy gave you pretty good advice. Also do a google check to see if there is a California specific gun forum as they would be a good info source for this question.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Welcome to the forum, pm1964, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard. As an ex Californian, I'm fairly certain it is legal for you to possess your Mustang, but I am not sure of the registration requirements. You might want to check in to the Calguns forum; there are many there who can advise you of your state's laws. Also check the California DOJ website, but be aware it is complicated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum, pm1964, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard. As an ex Californian, I'm fairly certain it is legal for you to possess your Mustang, but I am not sure of the registration requirements. You might want to check in to the Calguns forum; there are many there who can advise you of your state's laws. Also check the California DOJ website, but be aware it is complicated.
Thanks all. To say California's gun laws are confusing would be an understatement. I'll check the calguns forum as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Where is the Central Valley? I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley and if you went for enough north you were in the Sacramento Valley ... but I haven't lived there since 1967.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Welcome...but I have no answer for you.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Welcome from an ex-Californian who also cannot answer your question. An FFL would probably be your best source for an answer, short of the CA DOJ. I would be wary of calling DOJ, since by their rules, I am pretty sure you are going to find out that ALL firearms in the state must be registered.

·
Registered
Various
15,545 Posts
Welcome aboard from Northwest Oregon. I can't answer your question since I escaped California in 1976.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts