Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been out of work in Ohio since March, I have an interview in Iowa next week. If an offer is made I will most likely be moving.

Two questions, who really gets issued a permit/license? Any special considerations that will help when I try to get approved? :confused:

My other concern pertains to suppressors, I understand SBR, SBS and machine guns are a "no, no" in Iowa - what is the current state of the law in Iowa pertaining to ownership/possession by private citizens in Iowa?

(Really not thrilled with the annually renewable handgun purchase card either)...

Please, if you are not from Iowa, or familiar with Iowa law your comments about other states laws are really "off topic" and while I really wish the position was in TX or FL etc, it isn't. :nono:

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
Okay, I have been out of work in Ohio since March, I have an interview in Iowa next week. If an offer is made I will most likely be moving.

Two questions, who really gets issued a permit/license? Any special considerations that will help when I try to get approved? :confused:

My other concern pertains to suppressors, I understand SBR, SBS and machine guns are a "no, no" in Iowa - what is the current state of the law in Iowa pertaining to ownership/possession by private citizens in Iowa?

(Really not thrilled with the annually renewable handgun purchase card either)...

Please, if you are not from Iowa, or familiar with Iowa law your comments about other states laws are really "off topic" and while I really wish the position was in TX or FL etc, it isn't. :nono:

In Iowa it varies from county to county, some are almost shall issue, some are are almost no issue.

IowaCarry is a good reference, but it's not always up to date (I now live in a "yellow" county that was originally listed as green when I moved here. :rant:

Any special considerations that will help when I try to get approved
Again, it depends on county. As an FYI I'm a certified NRA instructor that's been licensed to carry in multiple states, have multiple training courses completed, my Sheriff is one of our customers and I can't get a permit for "Self Defense"

Regarding suppressors,

Notwithstanding section 724.2, no person is authorized to possess in this state a shotshell or cartridge intended to project a flame or fireball of the type described in this section.
8. Any mechanical device specifically constructed and designed so that when attached to a firearm silences, muffles, or suppresses the sound when fired. However, this subsection does not apply to a mechanical device possessed and used by a person solely for the purpose of shooting a deer pursuant to an approved city special deer population control plan if the person has a valid federal permit to possess and use the mechanical device.

If you have your carry permit, you don't need the purchase permit.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I'm impressed with that site's detail...this county map is a big help.:hand10:

County Information

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

Where will you be in Iowa? Would it be possible to live say in Missouri or another pro-2A state that borders Iowa?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clinton Co - right up against IL... :gah:

can't seem to win on location - other than it is a green county on their map - meaning as of the last update the sheriff was more friendly towards issue.

If I get this one I will have to put my class III stuff on the market in a hurry...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Recent news here in Iowa is that the NRA is taking up the fight for the shall issue rights that Iowa Carry has been pushing for. The green-yellow-red county map and 99 different County Sheriff's issuing policies based on their personal opinion may soon be coming to an end.

It is hoped that this year will bring to the citizens of Iowa a new set of laws with true state-wide shall issue standards that are more in line with the laws of many other states.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I had a thought which may be of some help on the CCW issue. I believe IA issues to non-residents, who may be able to apply to any sheriffs' office. Since you're still an OH resident, you may be able to just ask around and find a good shall-issue sheriff, go ahead and get the permit there and use that as long as you can until the situation in IA is cleared up. Of course, moving to a shall-issue county would work also.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
I had a thought which may be of some help on the CCW issue. I believe IA issues to non-residents, who may be able to apply to any sheriffs' office. Since you're still an OH resident, you may be able to just ask around and find a good shall-issue sheriff, go ahead and get the permit there and use that as long as you can until the situation in IA is cleared up. Of course, moving to a shall-issue county would work also.
That is incorrect, for a non-res permit, you must apply directly to the Iowa Dept. of Public Safety. They do not issue permits to anyone unless the person applying for the permit can show cause for need of a permit, general self defense does not meet their requirements.

·
Registered
948 Posts
For Your Information

724.11 Issuance of permit to carry weapons.
Applications for permits to carry weapons shall be made to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant
resides. Applications from persons who are nonresidents of the state, or whose need to go armed arises out of
employment by the state, shall be made to the commissioner of public safety. In either case, the issuance of
the permit shall be by and at the discretion of the sheriff or commissioner,

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
It is a tad odd that Polk County is Green and Story County is yellow. I can't quite wrap my mind about any logic for that.

If anything, I would think it might go the other way around.

There are lots of "anomalies" if you look at that map.

It is just weird. If you live in Polk County (Northern end) you are in Green, but
Boone which is mostly rural save for Boone is Yellow?

And what's with Jasper county being surrounded by Green but it is Red.

I've loved Iowa ever since I was a student there more than 40 years back, but this map sure shows some goofy stuff.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Today, thanks to a great deal of work and pressure, there are 39 "shall issue" states. Unfortunately, Iowa is NOT one of them. It still employs a "who do you know" system of passing out Constitutional rights. Disgraceful.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Standing up for Iowa

Today, thanks to a great deal of work and pressure, there are 39 "shall issue" states. Unfortunately, Iowa is NOT one of them. It still employs a "who do you know" system of passing out Constitutional rights. Disgraceful.
The situation with issuance is certainly not what many of us would like, and should be changed, but there is nothing "disgraceful" about Iowa.

It is a fine place with fine people, and generally better governance than you will find elsewhere in the US.

There's a common belief that Iowa is a place made up of rural "hicks." No way. Highly educated people with good values and old fashioned dedication to farming. A state that can produce two long term US Senators as diametrically different as Tom Harkin and Chuck Grassley, is if nothing else---- distinctly well balanced.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
It is a tad odd that Polk County is Green and Story County is yellow. I can't quite wrap my mind about any logic for that.

If anything, I would think it might go the other way around.

There are lots of "anomalies" if you look at that map.

It is just weird. If you live in Polk County (Northern end) you are in Green, but
Boone which is mostly rural save for Boone is Yellow?

And what's with Jasper county being surrounded by Green but it is Red.

I've loved Iowa ever since I was a student there more than 40 years back, but this map sure shows some goofy stuff.

It's definitely goofy, but it's all about the Sheriff's, geography has nothing to do with it. It all boils down to which Sheriff is pro gun and which ones are anti gun. Note I did not say "self defense" or "shall issue" as there are some that claim to be pro gun and beat their chest over their "history of issuing permits" for this and that but not self defense, they claim to be pro-gun, but really aren't.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Polk Vs. Story is easy to explain. Story is Ames, where Iowa State is located. College town, liberal, hard to get a permit. Polk is Des Moines, largely business/government/insurance...largely conservative.

When Iowa Carry started, it was about 1/3 shall issue counties, 1/3 may issue, and 1/3 don't issue. By bringing their case to the state house and to the ISSD (Sheriff's Assn), it's now 1/3 shall, 1/2 may, and the rest don't. My God, they won over Lonny Pulkabrek in Johnson--the other big college county. They're doing good work.

If you move to Iowa, pick your location carefully, and sign up with Iowa Carry.

Dan

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
re: Dan

Polk Vs. Story is easy to explain. Story is Ames, where Iowa State is located. College town, liberal, hard to get a permit. Polk is Des Moines, largely business/government/insurance...largely conservative.

When Iowa Carry started, it was about 1/3 shall issue counties, 1/3 may issue, and 1/3 don't issue. By bringing their case to the state house and to the ISSD (Sheriff's Assn), it's now 1/3 shall, 1/2 may, and the rest don't. My God, they won over Lonny Pulkabrek in Johnson--the other big college county. They're doing good work.

If you move to Iowa, pick your location carefully, and sign up with Iowa Carry.

Dan
I'd love to move back to Iowa. I'd probably elect to live in either Boone or Nevada, maybe Story City, not Ames proper. But, my other half fears the winters.

FWIW, moral support to you guys and maybe some money donation to the organization. I've still made political contributions to candidates in primary races for house seats, but my guy lost.

BTW, Ames being a College town really doesn't explain the situation.
Boone isn't a College Town/ County and it is yellow. Same for the county just to the west of Boone--forgot the name. I don't think it is a liberal conservative issue. It looks more like random good or bad luck depending on the whims of the local authorities.

And what excuse is there for Des Moines County on the Missouri border being red?

·
Registered
636 Posts
The situation with issuance is certainly not what many of us would like, and should be changed, but there is nothing "disgraceful" about Iowa.

It is a fine place with fine people, and generally better governance than you will find elsewhere in the US.

There's a common belief that Iowa is a place made up of rural "hicks." No way. Highly educated people with good values and old fashioned dedication to farming. A state that can produce two long term US Senators as diametrically different as Tom Harkin and Chuck Grassley, is if nothing else---- distinctly well balanced.
I lived there for 19 years while raising the kids and it still befuddles me in a state that is so rural and with 911 times of response, that since I am in TX, I have to disarm to come visit my grandkids. Seems like they don't have too much of the pioneer spirit. :hand1: :aargh4:

It is too bad that they keep Harkin in,,,,doesn't live in the state but he does bring home the bacon.:buttkick:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts