Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I like the 10mm...and the 380, 38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .357 Sig, 40 S&W, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Super, .454 Casull....well shucks I even like the 155mm howitzer round and quite a few others I've probably left out. My philosophy is own EVERYTHING you can afford - except the 155. Your wife is gonna kill you if you try to drag that thing inside!!!

The rest of this sounds suspiciously like a mini-caliber war in the making. :danceban:
I like the way you think, OldChap. :yup:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have a RIA 1911 10mm just for fun.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Is it woth it? Do you like more power?

As with the 180 Gold Dot I first posted, the 165 Gold Dot 10mm with 12'' penetration seems well suited to self defense.
I noticed the block is initially taped to the table, still lifted significantly.

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Why I bought the 10mm. I ran into a cougar years ago. At the time I carried a .357sig in the woods. I did not know it was there, but it let me know with growl / not really a hiss but a little. It left me alone as I backed up. It disappeared fast. I had always thought the .357 sig would be enough and if it was not follow up shots would make up a difference. That experience made me realize I would be lucky to get off one shot. I like glocks, and while there are more powerful handguns than a 10mm, I find semi autos easier to handle on the hip as I OC often on the family acreage.

I think it is a good idea to buy a 40 s&w barrel for weekend target shooting. I would buy a 10mm after market barrel if you reload as the brass will likely need less work with the right aftermarket barrel.

With 10mm it is important to purchase 10mm loads that aren’t really expensive 40S&w rounds.

The 10mm is a great round and based on my experience deer hunting. On the family acreage where I hunt it is woods with shooting lanes. I overwhelmingly hunt with a rifle during firearm season from a blind. However after opening weekend I get out of the blind and walk / stalk during the afternoon. I no longer take a rifle when walking / stalking, just the 10mm.

I carried a pistol mostly as a backup / potentially to finish a kill, and in part for SD as I have run into cougars, bear, and trespassers.

I’m a decent shot with a rifle with in 300 to 400 feet. I had hit a buck several years ago. He ran off, but I knew it was a good hit. I waited a little over 20 minutes and headed down to where I had shot him. I do this as sometimes other deer show up and also I’ve found it best to let nature take its course instead of chasing after a wounded animal. It was getting late enough that I made my way down but I took it slow and left the rifle in the blind.

He was off the shooting lane in the woods about 30 feet. He was dead. When I came to the body I stood still a few minutes just to make sure. Another deer ended up coming through and I shot him with the 10mm. It ran about 50 feet then dropped. (As many do I had multiple tags).

Since then I have found the 10mm to be an effective hunting round.

Unlike many here’s, I don’t like to own many firearms. I have nothing against those that do, I just like owning what I need / use. I mean, I have a lot of firearms overall for SD, car gun, skeet, plinking, etc. I just don’t like collecting as I’ve found collections own me more than I own them.

So long story just to say if I had bought the 10mm first, I would likely not own as many firearms as I do now and would likely own at least another 10mm. It is reliable, does the job, easy to maintain, and packs a punch.

It is the 2nd best firearm I own. When asked if I could only own one firearm what it would be I’m never sure how to answer, but know if I could only own two firearms, one of them would be my G20SF. It comes close to love.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I carried a 40sw since '90 and my ammo has been a mic of hand loads and factory ammo but never the fat and slow 40sw . I prefer a 155gr 40sw at 1300+ fps but have tried 135gr at 1420fps . years ago handloads were 165gr at 1212fps . IF I want a semi auto that's throws a heavier faster bullet than a 40sw can offer I'll load some 45 super and a heavier recoil spring in my 1911 and they hold up to anything a 10mm can manage . I also hunted with a 357mag since '76 and a 170 or 180gr bullet at 1400fps fps and 44mag so the 10mm mothering special .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Every gun is worth if u don’t have and wanted to your collection . At least thats an excuse I use for my self .. I typically don’t make 10mm my edc unless you going camping or hiking in woods . 357 is choice of Caliber I like in wheels guns and 45 in my 1911 !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I like the 10mm and it certainly is a step above the 40 in terms of ballistics, but if cash is an issue, why even consider it? You'd not only spend for the gun, but you'd need to spend more to buy dies (for your reloading) and likely different powders, etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,147 Posts
I like the 10mm and it certainly is a step above the 40 in terms of ballistics, but if cash is an issue, why even consider it? You'd not only spend for the gun, but you'd need to spend more to buy dies (for your reloading) and likely different powders, etc.
If you already have 40S&W dies they can be used for 10MM same as 38/357.

·
Super Moderator
18,259 Posts

The 10mm was a long time dream cartridge for me, a dream that I finally indulged a few years back. It's an admirable cartridge and I find it rewarding to make the 10mm's acquaintance. "Real" 10mm ammunition is truly potent. I'm carrying mine more frequently than I expected, both on gun show security weekends and as the "car gun" on our long road trips. I toted my 10mm on the few hunting excursions I've made this season. I'm intending to stumble into a feral hog or a deer at handgun ranges one day.

Some characteristics the 10mm doesn't have.

It's not the semi-auto cartridge equivalent to a .41 Magnum in performance, a revolver cartridge that takes power to a 'nother level. As was said here, muzzle energy of 700 ft./lbs. muzzle energy is tops for the 10mm and sure that ain't hay in the handgun cartridge realm. It's no trick though to achieve 1000 ft./lbs of muzzle energy in the .41 Magnum which shoots heavier bullets faster and flatter.

The 10mm does not recoil nearly as much as its internet reputation suggests. Given identical size/weight Colt Goverment Models, it is difficult to tell the difference between shooting 10mm, real full-powered 10mm, and .45 230 grain hard ball. For any normal person who relishes shooting the .45 ACP the 10mm recoil impulse is not going to "upset the apple cart."

As much as I admire the 10mm and liked the notion of a potent .40 pistol cartridge I never really expected to indulge myself in a 10mm. I'm glad I did. It's fun to shoot and fun to reload for. Realistically though, there's not a whole lot that I would tackle with 10mm that I wouldn't be willing to tackle with the good ol' .45 ACP. For deer or hogs at handgun ranges or for personal defense I'd feel equally confident with either cartridge. For 100 yard plus handgun shooting, the 10mm gets down range noticeably faster and with less drop, but other than for fun plinking entertainment at long range I can't say I'm going to make much use of the 10mm's improved trajectory capabilities over the .45 ACP's.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Nope. But if someone fells they really want one then it must be worth it. 2 rounds I have no use for the 10mm and the 40. But if someone else wants to buy one I am all for it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
<flame suit on>...Ditch the 40 cal chump round designed for the girls and get a 10mm! ( there, I said it)

The only reason the .40 exists is that some people couldn't handle the recoil of the 10mm. The 10mm was designed from the ground up to be the perfect handgun cartridge for doing one job. The 40 was a stop gap measure at best. If you can handle the 10mm recoil, have that, sell the .40

God, I am gonna get in soooo much trouble with the 40 crowd, to think..I almost joined them.
you are absolutely right, I had the 20, 29 and long a go a Colt Delta, if you get 10mm full power loads is a great cartridge, but the water down range ammo won't impress anyone, I had a S&W 57 4" .41 Mag, that was a gun I kick my self for trading it.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
you are absolutely right, I had the 20, 29 and long a go a Colt Delta, if you get 10mm full power loads is a great cartridge, but the water down range ammo won't impress anyone, I had a S&W 57 4" .41 Mag, that was a gun I kick my self for trading it.
Here we go, a 10mm is not a 41 mag. If you own a 10mm and like to shoot a lot, then reload. From lite to full power loads. I shoot 45's and 10mm out of my 1911's a lot.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Here we go, a 10mm is not a 41 mag. If you own a 10mm and like to shoot a lot, then reload. From lite to full power loads. I shoot 45's and 10mm out of my 1911's a lot.
were are not going any were, did I say my .41 mag had the same power factor as a 10mm ? because I didn't, it uses the same diameter bullet .410 though.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The 10mm is worth it if a 10mm is what you want. Some like to say that the 40 s&w is close, but it's not so close so long as one keeps them within SAAMI pressure specs. Some run the 40s&w up close to published 10mm velocities but they're running well above SAAMI when they're doing so. Some run the 10mm well above SAAMI and they're getting quite a bit of poop out of the 10mm. The 10mm does outperform the 357 RM by a fair amount as well although some like to draw comparisons of 357 mag velocities in significantly longer barrels than they're running with the 10mm.
Take, for instance, a 357 snubby with a 1 7/8" barrel and compare it to a Glock 29 which claims a 3.7" barrel. Why do I care about measuring the revolver breech face to end of barrel? The overall length of the gun has a significant effect on carryability. When measured from breech face to the end of the barrel, they measure almost the same, 3.7" for the G29, 3.5" for the snubby 340PD. There is no problem getting significantly above 1200 fps out of a 180 gr. 10mm round in that G29 and staying within SAAMI while the 357 mag with a 180 gr. bullet in the snubby will struggle to hit 1000 fps. Yes, I'm purposely ignoring the "vented barrel" due to the cylinder gap of the 357, the reality is 357 RM are used in wheel guns.

So, in summary, the 10mm when loaded up, still within SAAMI specs, but above the loads by the mainstream manufacturers, excepting the beautique providers, provides an autoloader with fairly substantial oomph if you're a handloader. No, it's no 41 mag, but you're not going to find a 41 mag autoloader that holds 10 rounds with only a 3.7" barrel (measured breech to end of barrel). Some may disagree with the way I measure barrel length for velocity comparison but the fact is, a 340PD 357 and a Glock 29 are very nearly the same length overall. But, I wouldn't have a 10mm Auto if I were not a handloader, the FedRemWin factory ammo is anemic and expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For what it’s worth- I’ve recently gotten a 1911 in 10mm and absolutely love it. I order higher end ammo and have put more rounds through it now than I ever thought I would. It’s flat, straight shooting, and I’m very accurate with it. It’s easy (for me) to shoot. Just my two cents and experience so far.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts