Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has always troubled me. I know they are old enough to go to war and drink (responsibly?) and all but I am not sure most kids I see around that age are responsible enough to carry a weapon. Is 21 the magic age for most CCW states? or are some of them higher? Do you think that 21 is reasonable or am I being an old fogie?

·
Administrator
143,465 Posts
That's A valid Question.

But, when do people (in general) grow up? Some people never do.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
It should be ok. I've met some 15 year olds that make some 21 year olds look like 8 year olds. It's an attitude. I think the 21 year olds who are willing to go through the process of getting a permit are likely pretty good 21 year olds.

Indiana issues to 18 year olds.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I think 21 is fine as stated some 21 yr olds seem like 8 year olds..

But usually if you are will to put the time and money out for a ccw i think they are more likly to be responicable than not

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most states,like here in tennessee, you're required to take a safety course in order to apply for a permit so no matter what age ,as long as you are 21 by law to carry with permit,you still have to prove you have a little common sense and are competent with a firearm.Personally, I think you should be able to carry when you turn 18 as long as you can prove your competent enough.Of course I also believe good safe gun handling should be passed down from parent to child but good parenting is slowly becoming scarce :( . J.M.H.O. Have a safe and happy new year, Lazyace1975.

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
This has always troubled me. I know they are old enough to go to war and drink (responsibly?) and all but I am not sure most kids I see around that age are responsible enough to carry a weapon. Is 21 the magic age for most CCW states? or are some of them higher? Do you think that 21 is reasonable or am I being an old fogie?

It depends on the kid, but you have to start somewhere. I went in the Navy when I was 17. Got stationed on a carrier.

Most of the weapons handlers loading the jets were less than 21. That included loading and moving tactical nukes around. The pilots were in their mid 20s.

We had a contingent of about 200 Marines on board. Most of them were less than 21. They had no problems carrying M-16's and .45's with them. They also had a full complement of arms. M-60's, LAW's and all kinds of anti -armour stuff.

Not to mention the MM\'s that were running the nuclear reactors never seemed to be more than 21.

I have a nephew in the Army. He is 20. He's is the driver for an M1 Tank. He has been in Iraq for a year or so. Their current job is to drive through the streets of Bagdad to draw fire form the insurgents.His tank has been hit with some RPGs and numerous small arms fire... luckily all its done so far is knock some paint off.

I personally think that the military forces kids to grow up and I have no problems with them toting guns.

On the other hand....some of the young punks in college seem seriously challenged just driving up and down the street. The ones that work in the fast food joints are too stupid to figure out how to make change from a dollar.God forbid you should break their routine by asking them something out of the ordinary...because some of them act like it completley blows their mind.

21 is a bit early for some folks and a bit late for others.

But...ya gotta start somewhere...

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
The fact is that without having some kind of Orwellian state reminescent of 1984, we cannot effectively regulate at what age anything is appropriate for an individual.

We have decided as a nation that at 18 years old you can vote. IMHO if you can vote, you should be able to do anything else including own and carry a handgun.

There must be a universal cutoff point even if it is a bit contrived and artificial. At some point you are legally an adult. It should be clear and it is not.

What blows my mind is that long guns are much more effective and yet are generally available long before you can legally own a handgun.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Originally posted by HotGuns
21 is a bit early for some folks and a bit late for others.

But...ya gotta start somewhere...
Yup, what he said. End of story ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Correct about here in NM. Don\'t understand the 25 thing. Just found out that Texas will now recognize our CCW but as stated earlier, we can\'t offer it back due to our age limit:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Although 21 is the legal age to carry in most states, you have a valid question. As an instructor, I have the responsibility to make that decision. I do have the authority to turn down any student for any reason. If I get a student that I don\'t believe for any reson should be issued a permit, then I simply don\'t sign off on their paperwork. They will not be issued a permit. If they lack the maturity I believe is necessary or the proper mind sett (lack of any RAMBO syndrom for example) then I will not sign off on the application. I owe this to the student and all of us who carry responsibly each and every day.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Originally posted by Jacob Lee
Correct about here in NM. Don\'t understand the 25 thing. Just found out that Texas will now recognize our CCW but as stated earlier, we can\'t offer it back due to our age limit:(
I think I have read that the NM law does not allow reciprocity and will likely be changed to include it in 2005.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
minimum age

I understand there is no minimum age for a pilot\'s license. If the pilot has the hours and passes exams, he gets it.

I submit that the minimum age for CWP in a state should match the minimum age at which a person may be charged and tried as an adult. That\'s the legal competency test.

Of course most states disallow carrying on any school property anyway, so the place where a kid spends most of his time (and faces the most danger nowadays) would still be off limits and a CWP would do him little good.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I don\'t know about you all but I sure slept a lot easer when my 21 year old daughter got her CCW, yes I bought her the SW 649 and 1,000 rounds to practice with to (she is 24 now)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I know some 30+ year-olds who are like 8 year-olds, and I know some 18 year-olds who are extremely mature and responsible. Heck, my 3 year-old niece has better maturity and gun safety habits than some adults I\'ve seen. :O

Age sure doesn\'t determine mental maturity.

If a person is old enough to vote and old enough to die for our country when he/she is 18, than he/she should be old enough to buy a handgun and get a CCW.

Way back wheen, kids grew up handling guns like they do Playstations now. Makes you wonder what happened.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i feel the way allot of you do...it depends on the person....but in order to get the ccw to pass in mo. we had to compromise our age limit to 23 years of age..from my understanding of it...and me being over that it really doesnt bother me...but for people like clipse new here as well it was eating that man alive to be 21 and couldnt get his mo. permit....and reading most of his post on the other site i would say he has his s---t together i would shoot any time with him....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Indiana

18 in the great state of Indiana.

Cheap, low restriction, must issue state since 1934.

·
Banned
177 Posts
wish it were 18 here in PA, I live in a crappy neighborhood and am just gonna have to make due with a knife and pepper spray for another year.

I was thinking that one could possibly get a NH permit (18) and carry in PA but i\'d want to talk to a lawyer before experimenting with loopholes

1 - 20 of 64 Posts