Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of videos on YT proclaiming so, as well as several other calibers. .41 Magnum-.25 ACP- .32 H&R Magnum, even .40.....

I have not seen a single 20 round box of .32 1cp for sale locally in close to 2 years... Just before the Covid plandemic became the topic du jour I was buying good GECO online for $10 a box.. I even went out and bought what I considered an elegant .32 to keep my little Keltec P32 company, a Beretta model 81 Cheetah. [Surplus].. Loved the once or twice I shot the Beretta, and had visions of it going to the range regularly with me.. Then Covid hit, and that was the absolute end of seeing any .32 acp anywhere at any price... Buds has only 1 brand listed at $30 a box [Fiocchi] and its a special order-

*This is a special order item which may cause a slight increase from our standard processing and shipping times. *

I guess I should be happy as I did amass maybe 800-900 rds or thereabout while it was cheap and available, but now wish I would have bought 3K rds so I would feel better about actually shooting some... Its crazy, there are a bunch of good .32 acp chambered weapons still available brand new, but the stores that sell you one, would not be able to sell you even a single round of the ammo it needs to function... crazy.

anyway, is the .32 acp really "obsolete" to the point that no one will bother manufacturing any at all?... Seems crazy as there are millions of handguns chambered in .32 across the globe, and the weapons themselves are still being manufactured as we speak.. Maybe the gun makers need to have a word with the ammo makes and tell them..
" Hey how about a little backup here- We are in this together you know." bob

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I don't know about obsolete, but I do see it being relegated to relic status. .38 Special ammo has been almost impossible to find for sale for the last year and a half. And it is much more popular of a round. That should tell you something.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Doubt the .41 mag is going anywhere, any time soon. Smaller caliber's, who knows? Power, ALWAYS, seems to stay in vogue/demand. I'd say with the link to .327 mag. and .32 H&R, though, "who knows"? Don't own any center-fire pistol that small, so, "there's that, also".

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
No, not obsolete. Was never mainstream. Production efforts are concentrated on most popular calibers in these tight times. So 32, 38, and other less popular calibers will have limited production runs for the near future.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
549 Posts
There are just to many better options out there in regards to caliber, but that being said. I wouldn't want to be shot with one. There were and in some cases lots of organizations who used and still use the .32 as their weapon of choice. But yeah, I'm going to agree with you that it is in most respects going of the Dodo....

I own 2 .32 pistols.. and for me they are just a fun range toy. Perfect combination of low recoil but still more fun than a .22 to shoot... I like shooting .22LR, but don't get that nice kickback, whereas sometimes after lots of shooting my hands get tired of my 9mm... The .32 is just in that sweet spot between the two of them... Unfortunately the price point almost doesn't make them worth it...

Reactions: GWarden

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
the 32's are dying off.....and i for one appreciate the 32 calibers for what they bring to the table which is platform size, capacity, and recoil management.

The market though has already deemed the 32 acp as inadequate in power. That is evident by the lack of new designs/models in the American market.

Only kel-tec i believe has introduced the 32 acp into the American market with a modified Browning tilt barrel system....vey soft shooter compared to the usual blow-back systems.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
"wouldn't want to get shot by it"
"better than nothing"

Those cliché phrases are nearly always used for 22lr/32/380 but not 9mm/40/45 - reason being...
People try to rationalize smaller calibers, which is unnecessary for > = 9mm.
Anywhere one would prefer to defend themself with a 32 acp rather than a 9mm? Probably not.
Most of the "better than nothing" folks, includes those uncontentedly limited by work, are going 380.
32 acp is not popular because better options for stopping attacker(s) ASAP are available.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
The death march for 32 auto started when the gun manufactures could make a reliable pocket sized 9mm. Until that point the smaller calibers always had their place at the table. Now I can have a 9mm, 40, or 45 cal pocket auto that functions fine. So why pay more for a smaller caliber? In the 80's I could buy a box of 50 for about $8 in 32 or 9mm. That was before 9mm became a US service caliber.
As an ammo retailer I buy 9mm by the pallet. I get a big discount to buy it that way. But I only buy 25 and 32 cal by the case, and then mostly as a service to my customers [ no discount on the small amounts]. The reason I would keep the lesser ammo on the shelf is to keep those few people that use it coming into my store and buying other stuff.
I can't really blame ammo manufactures. They would have to shut down a line of popular ammo to make something that will sit in warehouses.
When manufactures get caught up to the point that one of there machine lines is making popular ammo that is just going into the warehouse, [ the other lines are still shipping as fast as its made] , that line will get shut down and converted to less popular lines.
Just know they will start with the ammo that people are crying for most, 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 mag, etc....

If you know anyone that has an FFL and wants to make custom runs of hard to find ammo NOW would be the time to fill that need! And they could make good money at it.
If I were in a place to do it I would start making third line ammo like 25 auto, 32 acp, 32 S&W, 41 mag, 44 spl, etc... But CA is not the place I want to start a business from. DR

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,456 Posts
The .32 caliber was popular when .380 handguns were too large for pocket carry. The .380 was popular when 9mm handguns were too large for pocket carry. The .357 magnum, .41 magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 special, and .44 magnum were popular when I was a kid in the 1950s. Now I hear young men in the LGS complaining the recoil is just too brutal.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Not by any means dead nich yes but company are still making ammo for it and good HP ie gold dot and Hornday etc ..I got lucky and found a guy who had a lot so yes its def not a first time gun owner round right now as it is hard to get but I think its a great round .... Just not all that big here like in the EU ( though it was not legal in France till the 70s due to them still having military issued ruby pistols laying around in it as they banned military rounds for a long time for chivies to own)

You can still find FMJ for about what 9mm is going for if you look esp PMC and other brands

Reactions: MPGunther

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
There were several .32 ACP loads, for sale, at my usual, nearer LGS, a few days ago. I bought 150 rounds of .32 Winchester Silvertips at another LGS, a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get some .32 ACP ammo, loaded with those unusual Lehigh bullets, last year, well after the panic-demic had started.

I have seen a few new Seecamp LWS-32 pistols, for sale, at the nearer LGS, during the past year or so. I regularly see new Beretta Tomcats for sale, at that LGS. Have a look at this link, which shows one Tomcat sale pending, and three more available, as I type this. As they sell, they will disappear from the link, which is a Search result:

I have not paid any attention to Kel-Tec .32 pistol availability.

If new ammo is available, and new pistols are appearing on the shelves, I do not see .32 ACP being obsolete. Yes, .32 ACP is a limited-demand item, but, it is a persistent demand.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Here is Luckygunners .32 ACP ammo, available today:

The link will change, as stuff sells, or is added. As I type this, they have 162 boxes of PMC Bronze, 13 boxes of Fiocchi FMJ, and 127 boxes of S&B FMJ.

·
Registered
21,467 Posts
I’d much rather have a 32 in a 32 sized platform than a 9mm in the same size.

But I tend to actually shoot; a lot. And the wear and tear on a 32 sized gun with a larger caliber means it would not last me long.

I personally believe it’s a very adequate SD cartridge, providing the user is adequate.
Therein lies the rub, which is always a friction point for those who need the feelings of confidence rather than the beings of confidence.

But no, I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

·
Registered
695 Posts
.32 ACP is a niche cartridge for niche pistols. Mine is a NAA Guardian. Should be recognized and accepted for what it is.
I see where NAA has come out with a Guardian in a new (to me) caliber -- .32NAA. It's basically a .380 necked down to .32 caliber.

If I have to go some place where I need absolute concealability because of unconstitutional anti-2nd-Amendment "laws", then I have he NAA .22LR/mag... Next step up from that would be the Beretta M21 in .22LR... The next smallest that I have is a rather compact 9x19 original (10+1) PT-111 from Taurus...

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

I've just never found a need for anything between... I will admit though that I was seriously tempted by a Colt Mustang many years ago...

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Why? Just because I like M1911 style handguns...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
There are still uses for it. My wife is extremely recoil adverse AND must have an extremely small gun due to her work environment.

Her Mauser HSc and Beretta Bobcat both in 32 ACPare prefect for her.
She also owns a P320 subcompact in 9mm and a Bersa Thunder 380.
If she was limited to those last two she would rarely carry and neverpractice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The .32 Auto. No, not obsolete. I have a Beretta 3032 Tomcat now for 20+ years. It is the most user friendly pistol design ever! It has everything for such an ultra-compact pistol; SA/DA, hammer with half cock, tip up barrel for easy loading/unloading, 8 shots, safety works in any position, and most cases more concealable than a derringer.

Ammo is being manufactured but not in the quantities as most popular calibers. You may find some imported ammo because third world countries still carry them as a service round.

I love shooting my Tomcat, but have to limit myself due to ammo availability. I'm thinking of trying the Buffalo Bore .32 ACP +P Ammo. An email to Beretta says it should be safe in the Tomcat.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I don't trust Kel tec, plus the spotty availability of .32 ammo is an issue. Otherwise, if Ruger got smart (again), they would make a .32 version of the LCP for folks like my wife who cannot deal with the recoil of the .380 version. She's now carrying the .22 version, but I'd be happier with the center fire reliability of the .32, yes sir. So no, not obsolete at all.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts