Defensive Carry banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
.38 Special has served many well for many years; nothing wrong with it. The primary concern is shooting well, whatever you are carrying. Getting the round to the right spot matter more than what round it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is an adequate caliber for self defense as long as you can shoot well with your pistol. As to whether a revolver's capacity makes you feel comfortable is a different can of worms.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
"Is .38 special +P a good self defense option?"

I vote "Yes". And I carry the same at times.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I shot a 400 pound hog with a .38 special 129 gr hp. His legs went sideways and instantly his chin slammed the ground. What power. What a dramatic response. Of course I shot him right between the eyes with a 6" model 14.

Carry what allows you to place your shots accurately and consistently and be comfortable enough to carry everyday. .38 snubs don't necessarily fit that list perfectly. The 686 certainly might if you can put up with the added weight.

I'd guess the .38 +p is close to a std 9mm or a 9mm +p give or take some.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Any service round is good, .380 on up. After that, shot placement is king. Even sub-service rounds are effective in the head.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've carried a 642 with Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P rounds for years. That round was designed specifically for short barrel snubs. The data shows it's a good match for a snub, so I'll stick with that.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts