Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep. If I’m not mistaken the first incident was a robbery and he used a 5 shot 38 spl.

If I’m not mistaken, the other attempts were retribution attempts which take it out of the sphere of a regular type of scenario.
He used SEVERAL 5 shot revolvers in the first shootout. He had them hidden all over his shop.

No, the other two were robberies to. Each time more than one person. Second robbery he had .45 autos stashed around (SIG 220s I think.) Third time around he had several 9mm autos (14-16 shooters) stashed.

He was wounded in I think all the encounters.

He then was warned by gangs to close or 'else'. He closed.

BTW, there are accounts of home invasions on the net where more than '2.5' shots fired. They are easy to find.

Here is one:

"Investigators say one of four suspects forced open the convenience store's locked doors while the others ran inside. Two of the men wore hoodies, and at least one suspect was covering his face.

The clerk told police he was in his plexiglass cage behind the register, but it was open at the time. Feeling threatened by the intruders, he said he opened fire four times."

https://abc13.com/gas-station-clerk-shoots-suspect-deadly-shooting-northeast-houston-kills-maxey-and-wallisville/6155891/

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
He used SEVERAL 5 shot revolvers in the first shootout. He had them hidden all over his shop.
Before the context gets lost in the sauce, let’s remember that the question I posed was can anyone show a self defense shooting where more than 5 shots were needed to solve the problem, meaning to stop the threat to themselves.
And sure, they were all robberies, but it stands to reason when you are intentionally and repeatedly targeted, you will be upping your game.

Now, you say he used several five shot revolvers in the first shoot out. Well , let’s hear it from the man’s own words.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Before the context gets lost in the sauce, let’s remember that the question I posed was can anyone show a self defense shooting where more than 5 shots were needed to solve the problem, meaning to stop the threat to themselves.

A lot of that depends on the context. If all one has is a 5 shot revolver, all he has is 5 shots to solve the problem, or not.

Capacity is a self fulfilling prophecy, if you have it you are probably gonna use it.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
A lot of that depends on the context. If all one has is a 5 shot revolver, all he has is 5 shots to solve the problem, or not.

Capacity is a self fulfilling prophecy, if you have it you are probably gonna use it.
No argument on that. Was just looking for information per the questioned as posed in the OP. It may or not be, but we can certainly look back at known incidents to get an idea based on real world incidents.

As Clint Smith stayed, people shoot because it makes them feel better in the situation. The more they have, the more they shoot, regardless of if it is being effective.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
What is really a detour to nowhere is the idea that you can shoot your way out of a riot with any carry setup. If this guy had 17 rounds and emptied the mag, he would be going down for multiple counts of aggravated assault and/or second degree murder, no question. Also, once the 17 were gone, they would have been on him with a vengeance. And we can't discount the idea that some of the crowd might have been armed and shot back. As it is, he got out of the situation safely and he is facing a charge he may be able to beat by claiming SD. I think the video will vindicate him. But can you imagine what the video would have looked like if he came out spraying rounds? No matter how many rounds he had (and do we even know how many rounds he had?) he was smart to shoot the minimum.

But he was an idiot to go down that street to begin with. The instant he saw the crowd, he should have gone the other way. I have read a few riot survival articles and that is always the first thing they say. One of the news articles on this incident even quoted the shooter as saying, "I thought I could get through." Flawed thinking. Even if he got blocked as soon as he saw the crowd in the distance, he could have bailed and run, which he could have done because he would have been on the edge of the crowd. If he was pursued and had to shoot, he would have more SD justification. He was also dumb to have his window down so someone could reach in. If the window was closed and they broke it to get at him, he could have more justification to show in court.

He is now on $150,000 bail, he will have huge legal fees and there is a chance he will go to jail. None of this has a darn thing to do with how many rounds he had!!! This whole discussion is assuming the straw man that shooting your way of a riot, rather than using your brain, is viable option. I don't think holds up.
Excellent post, I agree 100%.

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
I see you managed to post in the new Forum configuration. I'm replying as a test to see if I can navigate this.

Somehow I am not surprised that you would go big or stay home if limited to six shots.

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Is 5 shot enough? 5 shots of what? I carry my 5 shot 357 mag when I can't carry anything else due to size limitations in an NPE. I have been known to carry a 5 shot 44 magnum. Personally, after been in and around social engagements unless it is a 357 or 44 magnum loaded appropriately I want more ammo available. It is gonna be near impossible to reload a small revolver while in a physical scuffle. The most important aspect though is what can you do with the 5 shots.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts