Defensive Carry banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Did the 38 not have enough velocity to penetrate heavy clothing or get deflected too easily by bone?
Not many people wore heavy clothing in Ft Worth, TX. Usually it was lack of adequate penetration. Jello makes pretty mushrooms, but people are not jello.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Based on common statistics.. 5 shots is a reasonably competent answer for most circumstances where a gun is actually needed. That said, surviving a violent encounter may hinge on many things, not just the number of rounds you carry. Still, if I were to offer advice to someone.. I would suggest that they carry more than what they consider to be the acceptable bare minimum. In the cooler months I carry 13 in the gun and 13 in my pocket and in the summer, it is often a 5 shot revolver + reload or 6 shot compact semi auto + reload.

I do not always carry a small revolver but when I do, I do not feel under-powered. I checked on the rural property of a relative today and the smith mod 60 is what I carried. I am sure many here would find it shocking but I actually open carried all day. Don't worry, I am no OC convert.. it was simply a remote location.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I wouldn't bother to learn to speed reload a revolver. Why? Because if you feel the need to carry a revolver, and feel the need to carry spare ammo for it, the proper container for that ammo isn't a speed loader or speed strip, it's another revolver. Just practice your draw from backup position.

Carrying 2 small revolvers sort of defeats the purpose of carrying a small revolver to begin with. If I am willing to carry 2 j-frame revolvers, I will just carry a bigger gun to begin with. If I am carrying a 5 shot revolver, you will find me carrying a speed loader in my front pocket. I wouldn't call anything about my revolver reload "speedy" but I can get it done fluidly while under pressure.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Based on common statistics.. 5 shots is a reasonably competent answer for most circumstances where a gun is actually needed. That said, surviving a violent encounter may hinge on many things, not just the number of rounds you carry. Still, if I were to offer advice to someone.. I would suggest that they carry more than what they consider to be the acceptable bare minimum. In the cooler months I carry 13 in the gun and 13 in my pocket and in the summer, it is often a 5 shot revolver + reload or 6 shot compact semi auto + reload.

I do not always carry a small revolver but when I do, I do not feel under-powered. I checked on the rural property of a relative today and the smith mod 60 is what I carried. I am sure many here would find it shocking but I actually open carried all day. Don't worry, I am no OC convert.. it was simply a remote location.
I do carry a 5 shot 38 special at times, but it is seldom my go to EDC these days. In fact, for rural carry I usually carry something heavier. Sometimes even going backwards to the 45 Colt Blackhawk, although the G17 fills that role most days. Rural areas usually mean help is further away and the possible threats much different than a suburban setting. I've encountered meth cooks, tweekers, dogs, coyote, various varmints (2 & 4 legged), and one black bear that thankfully decided I wasn't a threat to her cubs.
Checking on a rural property, especially if it is vacant, would prompt me to up my game rather than down size.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
There was a video on one of the forums I frequent, might even be this one.
Anyway, a car was driving through a group of "protesters". Someone smashed the drivers' window and was ,seemingly, trying to drag the driver out (car was still moving).
It appears the driver shoots the "assailant", who fall to the ground, crowd scatters, driver gets out (gun in hand) and runs off through the crowd.
Only one or two shots were fired, in a mob scene, an effective escape from the mob.
So 5 rounds were enough. That time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
Anyway, a car was driving through a group of "protesters". Someone smashed the drivers' window and was ,seemingly, trying to drag the driver out (car was still moving).
It appears the driver shoots the "assailant", who fall to the ground, crowd scatters, driver gets out (gun in hand) and runs off through the crowd.
Only one or two shots were fired, in a mob scene, an effective escape from the mob.

Perhaps those close to the shooter discerned the nature of his gun and screamed "Everybody run!!! He has a high capacity Glock!!!".

Reactions: patkelly4370

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
For most the 38 Special has served admirably for more than a century..
If one carries a 32 acp derringer but never has to use it in SD they may say it served admirably.

38 FMJ is not known for ASAP incapacitation potential, no reference just what I've read.
38 HP has not been around for a century, maybe .6 century, and from a snub may not expand.
.38 Special and .357 Magnum Self-Defense Ammo Ballistics Test - LuckyGunner.com Labs
2'' barrel - older design HP
Winchester 158 LSWCHP +P 18''/.36 - no expansion
Remington 158 LSWCHP +P 14''/.40 - a little expansion, whoopee
2'' barrel - new "modern" HP
Federal 130 micro HST 13''/.73
Remington 125 Golden Saber +P 13.9''/.62

The better "modern" 38 special loads perform well from a short barrel.
Still, a 5 shot snub has 1/3 the capacity of Glock 19 (actually less than 1/3 but thats accurate enough)
Glock 19 > 5 shot snub - regardless of location - for me.

Reactions: TSKnight

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

Look at the first post.

·
Registered
453 Posts
How quickly can you reload a revolver, and, especially, a J-frame (very small, with a non-full length ejector rod so getting a clean ejection is questionable), vs just dumping the empty revolver and pulling another one? And the volume of three reloads (in speed loaders and maybe even strips, is going to approach the volume of another J-frame.

Of course, I'd probably forgo the wheelie, and get a similar size auto, that can carry twice the ammo. But some people like their wheelies.

Really? Why is that? I carry 3 reloads with a revolver. If the revolver you are using hits hard enough, you will have plenty of time to reload, if you don't miss.

·
Registered
453 Posts
With two small revolvers vs one bigger gun, you can split the load. And if you're carry reloads, you're already using some of that volume/weight anyway.

Carrying 2 small revolvers sort of defeats the purpose of carrying a small revolver to begin with. If I am willing to carry 2 j-frame revolvers, I will just carry a bigger gun to begin with. If I am carrying a 5 shot revolver, you will find me carrying a speed loader in my front pocket. I wouldn't call anything about my revolver reload "speedy" but I can get it done fluidly while under pressure.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
How quickly can you reload a revolver, and, especially, a J-frame (very small, with a non-full length ejector rod so getting a clean ejection is questionable), vs just dumping the empty revolver and pulling another one? And the volume of three reloads (in speed loaders and maybe even strips, is going to approach the volume of another J-frame.

Of course, I'd probably forgo the wheelie, and get a similar size auto, that can carry twice the ammo. But some people like their wheelies.
About 2 seconds from shot to shot. I do not cc my J frame, it is a BUG/2nd gun. my 5 shot snubby is a 44 magnum.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Is 5 rounds enough?

If they're still coming for me/us after five rounds then I have some real work to do and some real pain to suffer.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts