Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before anyone says its shot placement or whatever Ive already given that some thought. I guess what my question is is if you work at a job where its not a real big deal if I print would you be looking for something bigger mostly for work or would you just stay with the edc p3at in pocket holster. Thinking about the Kimber tactical pro but still have not made up my mind. I had a glock 27 and didnt care for the carry of it (love Glocks thou) would the kimber carry better because it is thinner. Also our prime objective is to stop the threat which does not necesarilly mean the biggest hole we can. Ive got a hard time believing the .380 would not do that. Anyway just looking for input

·
Registered
963 Posts
Not much for stoping power, but a .380 will make a BG stop what he is trying to do to you, if he's a big dude, on drugs, multiple BG's or just determined to hurt you then I wold not use it. Think of it this way, what calaber hand gun is worth your, wife and/or kis life, answer and find the gun that best fits your needs.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
do a search. you will see this has been around the block many times here. on the week ends i carry a 380 kel tec in my back pocket as the "bug" to my duty "bug", which turns into primary. i do not feel under gun with it. i know i will not be in a tv gun fight where i will need a "big" blaster and thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Are you sure you want to get this started?:boese51: I personally want nothing smaller on me than a 9mm. That said Im looking for a Ruger LCP as a backup and summer time shorts pistola.:comeandgetsome:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I just got a LCP and am using it as a primary right now. I just had back surgery 12/22 and can't carry anything heavier. Once I'm healed and can carry my regular carry piece, the LCP will be regulated to BUG duty or a hot weather shorts, pocket carry gun...

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Is 380 enough? Probably. And if probably is good enough for you, a 380 is probably a good choice.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very wisely put sixto

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Somebody heat up the air popper please, I'm on a diet but I still want some...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm in a different situation from some posters, so if a .380 is all you can carry, go for it. Me, I'm not limited by how I have to dress, or by how big or small my edc needs to be, so I'd not carry one except as a BUG. I prefer compact size weapons as a minimum, and generally have always preferred full sized.

They're not for me, but they do serve their purpose.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
In a WW parking lot, with a thug who pulls a knife, the P-3AT is going to discourage a continued threat. So if that's all you can easily hide in a pocket, so be it...it beats not being armed.:22a:

I prefer having my Glock-36 tucked against my kidney, but I have at times, taken my P-3AT to the store and back.:yup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I like a full size handgun with 12 rounds of 40 or 16 rounds of 9mm.

380 is fine for a BUG but if you can conceal a full size gun why settle for less firepower.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Sometimes...

Is a .380 enough to defend yourself?

At Florida State University there is a criminologist named Gary Kleck who has done research on the question of defensive gun use by honest citizens. Here is a link to an interview in which he discusses his findings:

Kleck interview link

Kleck cites a lot of results, but one in particular interests me. He said that he estimates that in 86% of the cases the gun was not fired at the attacker. The threat of the gun, either verbal warning "I have a gun" showing the gun, or firing the gun for effect, was enough to repel the attack.

So I conclude that in 86% of the cases the caliber of the gun didn't matter. The important thing was just to have the gun and be able to convince the attacker that you did have it. In the 14% of cases where the defender fired the gun at the attacker, the attacker was only hit (wounded or killed) in 8% of the cases. So the defender missed in 6% of the cases, and that repelled the attack.

The bottom line for me is that your caliber choice will only be a factor in 8% of the cases where you fire the gun at the attacker and hit him. 92% of the time it won't matter which caliber you have, and a .380 should be just as good a deterrent as a .44 magnum.

So if all you can carry is a .380, it is a whole lot better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I prefer to have my 7 rounds of 45 or my 8 rounds of 9mm. But having said that on occasion I do carry my 6 rounds of 380, but its just on occasion.

·
Registered
522 Posts

do a search. you will see this has been around the block many times here. on the week ends i carry a 380 kel tec in my back pocket as the "bug" to my duty "bug", which turns into primary. i do not feel under gun with it. i know i will not be in a tv gun fight where i will need a "big" blaster and thousands of rounds.
That is also MY thought on the subject.
If you feel that the 380 is inferior after all is said, look at the pocket size 9s like the Kel-tec PF9 or the new taurus equivalent. Seems now days eveyone is making pocket size 380s and 9s.
However, before you decide, go to a gun shop whic has a range and "try before you buy". A 9 which weighs 15 oz has to have a kick to it. Law of physics.....

POGO: good post. Goes along with the quote above.
I have one addenda: "You have to convince the attacker that You have a gun, and that you will use it."

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I am going to shoot someone, I prefer not give much warning. I will wait until they brandish a weapon. At that point, draw and aim giving one verbal warning. If the warning is disregarded then shoot until the threat is neutralized.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I carry a .380 with Hornady CD ammo a lot. I do carry my 9mm some but most of the time, it's the .380 and I love it.

I asked a South Carolina SLED agent the same question above about a .380 before I bought mine and he told me that most all self defense confrontations take place within 3 yards and no more than 3 shots. He did not hesitate in recommending the .380 for self defense and even stated that his wife and son both carry one.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I will wait until they brandish a weapon. At that point, draw and aim giving one verbal warning. If the warning is disregarded then shoot until the threat is neutralized.
Seems to me if you're going to wait till the BG has the draw on you, you better be a "Billy the Kidd" with your draw.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I never leave the house with less than a .38 snub with +P's and 95% of the time have my H&K P7 with an extra mag on. If the .380 is what you are counting to take down someone down and stop them with, go for it. I personally would not rely my and my families lives on one.

JMO

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I wonder what all the research is from the contries that have LEO and military carry the 9X18, it is ballistically about the same as a 380.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I find it interesting that a lot of people say that the .380 isn't enough gun, yet everyone seems to own one :blink::gah::theyareontome:

·
Registered
42,957 Posts
All this talk on calibers gets a bit silly when you think about it.

1. Some people think a 120mm artillery round isn't big enough.
2. Some think anything over 9mm is too difficult to handle.
3. Why would you trust a .380 as a backup, but not as your EDC? If you're down to your BU, then BG must be right on your butt by then, and you need nothing less than the 120mm round. (See No. 1.)
4. Have your buddy shoot you with a .380 and then see if you want a second round. I doubt it, and I doubt most BGs would either.
5. Anything is better than nothing.
6. The object isn't to blow the BG into smithereens, but to stop the threat of harm--period. If a BB gun does that, it's big enough.

Carry whatever makes you comfortable and what you can handle reliably and accurately. 10 rounds of .380 whizzing past your ear is probably a lot more scary than one round of .45 super-duper, thermonuclear, ear-shattering BG Plasterer.

I had a .41 Magnum that I loved to shoot, and it was very accurate, but I'd hardly consider it as a useful carry gun. Now, a .45 auto suits me fine. I trust it. But if all I had was a .380, it would be my EDC.

Next subject--please.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts