Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was brought up with the belief that dry firing was hard on the firing pin, is this true? Reading in a tactial handgunning book the other day, made reference to the fact that while training, one should dry fire 5 for everyone one live round fired.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe that depends on the handgun.

For example: The manual that comes with a Glock encourages you to dry fire it, while the Kel-Tec manual says not to dry fire a KT.

Check with your handgun's manual. :)

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Also if your gonna dry fire use snap caprs Gun techonlogy has come a long way in the past few years .

Even HK's have suffered broken firing pins from guys saying they dry fired a ton So use snap caps all should be good

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Wow, never realized so may problems with dry firing. I have done so moderately, but since I started training w/ airsoft not as much.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Sigs have had some broken firing pins from dry firing IIRC. But we're probably talking about huge reps.

I asked Gunsite about snap caps. They said they don't recommend them because there's just so much risk that sooner or later, a live round is going to get in the gun instead of a snap cap. Their position was no ammo or anything that looks like ammo for dry fire. The interesting thing is, their pro shop sells the metal case snap caps.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
They said they don't recommend them because there's just so much risk that sooner or later, a live round is going to get in the gun instead of a snap cap.
There could be some substance to that but in fact - if anyone dry firing treats that gun as loaded anyways and follows rule #2 - then even if there was a discharge of a live round, no one gets hurt.

In essence - dry fire requires all the safety rules - just because no bang every time, still need to be scupulous on safety.

I favor snap caps, the ones with spring loaded ''primer'' - I reckon anything that cushions FP blow has to be helpful. Was a time when dry fire of a rimfire was bad because of peening the breech face - in fact I still think that tho Ruger seemingly does not forbid dry fire IIRC on MkII type guns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Near forgot - welcome along Martin :smile:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Im pretty sure ruger says no on dry fire for a mark II that it can peeen the chamber i could be wrong memory is fuzzy must be drugs from having a tooth pulled

·
Registered
862 Posts
Older model rimfires shouldn't be dry-fired, cause the pin will dent the chamber. It is O.K. to do so with newer model rimfires.

Unless its my Glock, or 10/22. I dont dryfire any of my firearms without a snapcap. Not like replacing a pin is the end of the world. Its that I dont want the pin to break when I need the pin the most. I have a old Ruger "Standard" Model .22. I go as far as to count how many shots I use, to keep this beauty in shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts