Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an H&R 929 Sidekick revolver whose serial number starts with AD, which I believe puts it around 1967. I read that in 1974, H&R switched to a transfer bar design to reduce likelihood of accidental discharge when dropped.

Should be concerned about the risk of accidental discharge if I carry this concealed? My guess is that I will use it with a pocket holster.

I am aware that 22LR does not inspire confidence in its stopping power, but this is the only small handgun I have. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
37,962 Posts
Short story--yes, be concerned. I had the later version with the transfer bar. I wish they still made them, nice gun.

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you are here.

You may want to await a true H&R expert to reply to your post. I'm somewhat familiar with the H&R revolvers but don't own any. I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that it wouldn't be advisable to carry any pre-transfer-bar H&R rim fire with a round under the hammer. The purpose of the added transfer bar in 1974 was to reduce the chance of a discharge if the revolver was dropped and took a blow directly on the hammer.

A cousin has a similar H&R .22 model revolver and we used to shoot it quite a bit when we were teenagers. This would have been prior to 1974. I wouldn't want to rely on the ignition system on that particular revolver to protect me in the event of a blow to the hammer. Of course when we were young we never thought of such things and the gun was usually carried fully loaded on fishing excursions and camping trips.

I have a soft spot for the old H&R .22s. A lot of fun was had with that snub revolver and I'd like to get one just for casual plinking fun.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you do decide to carry it. Carry with the firing pin on an empty chamber. Myself, I would keep it for shooting at the range and not use it as a carry gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts