Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for my first carry gun, so I went to a LGS and handled the following:

Glock 26 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
S&W Shield .40
SIG 1911 3" Barrel .45
Springfield XDS .45
Ruger LCP
Ruger LC380

Out of all of these guns... the Sig 1911 felt the best ergonomically, and had really decent sights on it. When I held it in my hands in a shooting grip, the whole gun just felt "right".

Is it bad that I want a 1911 for my first carry gun? I've only ever shot full size 1911's so I'm not sure how the compacts shoot.

The LCP didn't seem too bad. Seemed like it would be a good summer shorts carry gun for me...

The XDS and Shield both felt, well, plastic-y.... The Shield felt best after the 1911 and LCP... The Glocks felt awful... brick in the hand. Same with the double stack XD's... I don't have the largest hands so a single stack is probably the way to go. I wish they would have had a Kahr 9mm in stock I would have loved to handle one.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm searching for my first carry gun, so I went to a LGS and handled the following:

Glock 26 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
S&W Shield .40
SIG 1911 3" Barrel .45
Springfield XDS .45
Ruger LCP
Ruger LC380

Out of all of these guns... the Sig 1911 felt the best ergonomically, and had really decent sights on it. When I held it in my hands in a shooting grip, the whole gun just felt "right".

Is it bad that I want a 1911 for my first carry gun? I've only ever shot full size 1911's so I'm not sure how the compacts shoot.

The LCP didn't seem too bad. Seemed like it would be a good summer shorts carry gun for me...

The XDS and Shield both felt, well, plastic-y.... The Shield felt best after the 1911 and LCP... The Glocks felt awful... brick in the hand. Same with the double stack XD's... I don't have the largest hands so a single stack is probably the way to go. I wish they would have had a Kahr 9mm in stock I would have loved to handle one.
In my opinion, the most important thing is to get a carry gun that you like, that fits your hand well, and that you have confidnece in. If the 1911 fits the bill for you, then by all means, get it and carry it!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
You might want to read this. Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

Boiled down.

1) Why am I carrying?
2) Am I prepared & trained to use it?
3) Is it comfortable all day?
4) Is it effective & am I accurate with it?

That's about it.

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
Folks have successfully started out with full-sized 1911s for years. Prior to 1950 the 1911 only came one way. There's no good reason why you can't do so as well.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Folks have successfully started out with full-sized 1911s for years. Prior to 1950 the 1911 only came one way. There's no good reason why you can't do so as well.
I started with a few plastic fantastics and then the love affair with 1911's began. Friggin expensive, but rewarding. Best thing I can tell you is buy a quality 1911 like a Sig. The WORST thing you can do is buy a cheap 1911 (I speak from painful, expensive experience). Sure, you may save $300 up front, but you will end up spending more on the cheap gun to make it run right in the long run, especially when talking 3" guns. Sig, Colt, Kimber, Springfield, or the customs (Wilson, Les Baer, etc) is the way to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kahr CW9 is junk. Glock is for man hands. Go rent some and try them out.
Ah yes, fan boys!

Thanks for the advice guys! What do you recommend for an IWB summer rig with cargo shorts? Something like a kydex/leather hybrid?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Ah yes, fan boys!

Thanks for the advice guys! What do you recommend for an IWB summer rig with cargo shorts? Something like a kydex/leather hybrid?
I don't think you should be called a "fan boy" to call a Kahr junk. I had one, a CM9 and hated it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I am currently wearing a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro on my side with my 3" Kimber 1911 in it. I like it, but it hasn't displaced my leather/kydex hybrid as my most comfy holster. It might, I just got 2 hours ago. We shall see. Point being, the Pure Kustom is $185, my Kydex hybrid cost me $50.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Ah yes, fan boys!

Shoot, that'll be harder to figure out than the gun... be prepared to have a drawer full of holsters. I like the hybrids (CrossBreed and Old Faithful, especially), but it'll be trial and error for you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
1911 has been around for over 100 years you cant mess with perfection, also easily concealed since its so thin compared to most of the polymer guns. There are a few manufacturers (para ordinance comes to mind) that make double stack 1911's so you can have more rounds. But the weight of the weapon may not be the best for concealed, but each person is unique and you may not mind, you could also go with a commander size it has a shorter barrel so may not be too bad in the weight department. But as said you want something you know you will be proficient with, and that you like.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think you should be called a "fan boy" to call a Kahr junk. I had one, a CM9 and hated it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I am currently wearing a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro on my side with my 3" Kimber 1911 in it. I like it, but it hasn't displaced my leather/kydex hybrid as my most comfy holster. It might, I just got 2 hours ago. We shall see. Point being, the Pure Kustom is $185, my Kydex hybrid cost me $50.
I was referring to his Glock comment. I tried to like them, I really did...

I'm fully prepared to purchase numerous holsters, just trying to get a general direction!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I myself prefer hybrid holsters. I was carrying my sccy cpx-1 in a hybrid today with cargo shorts. Down here in florida its mostly cargo shorts for me about 10 months out of the year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I myself prefer hybrid holsters. I was carrying my sccy cpx-1 in a hybrid today with cargo shorts. Down here in florida its mostly cargo shorts for me about 10 months out of the year.
With a good gun belt, should I have to worry that my cargo shorts are somewhat, well, thin? They're borderline dress/cargo shorts...

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
With a good gun belt, should I have to worry that my cargo shorts are somewhat, well, thin? They're borderline dress/cargo shorts...
Nah, your shirt will hang down and cover it, so the thickness of the shorts won't matter as much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unfortunately, the right gun, is the right gun for you and only you will know. Renting is a good idea, but that only covers the shooting part of it.

Carrying feels different with different gun and holster combinations. Some here love (and swear by) a 1911 and will wear full size everywhere. Some prefer pocket guns, and others something in between.

IWB, OWB, etc... is again a personal preference and dependent on different holster and gun combinations. Again, we all have holsters sitting in drawers that tried, some very expensive ones too. Most of us have "safe queens" as well.

One thing that is true across the board. Carrying is a change in your lifestyle... it will, to some extent, dictate the clothes you wear, the places you'll go.

Enjoy the ride and try not to go broke in the mean time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Since you recognized that the 1911 felt the best in your hand that is what I would recommend. As for holsters start with a Remora which is a great and inexpensive way to experiment with position and cant. Then once you know where it feels best then look at other options. Remora was my third holster two years later I still use it most of the time. I did buy a Galco for OWB which is good when I have a jacket to help conceal but I have to go IWB when only wearing a t shirt.

·
Super Moderator
23,746 Posts
And..........invest in a quality gun belt to go with your gun and your holster. A quality gun belt makes all of the difference in the world in comfort, support, safety, looks and peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts