Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons. "

I don't fully understand if this is a direct yes or no, as I'm assuming a baton is considered a club.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
"It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons. "

I don't fully understand if this is a direct yes or no, as I'm assuming a baton is considered a club.
Firstly, I am not a lawyer but yes, I believe it could be considered a club but it really doesn't matter as it would also fall under the category of "any other weapon". Note that this is really about the manner of carry, exhibition, or display which could indicate intimidation. Note too that open carry of firearms is legal In WA but they are still listed in this code section as to the manner of carry or display. One other thing, WA has firearm preemption, meaning the gun laws are uniform statewide and are controlled exclusivly by the State. This is true only for firearms and doesn't apply to knives or any other weapon. That means counties and cities may have their own laws affecting the legality of possession and carry of those items, concealed or otherwise.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly, I am not a lawyer but yes, I believe it could be considered a club but it really doesn't matter as it would also fall under the category of "any other weapon". Note that this is really about the manner of carry, exhibition, or display which could indicate intimidation. Note too that open carry of firearms is legal In WA but they are still listed in this code section as to the manner of carry or display.
I hope this helps.
It does help, yeah, correct me if I misunderstood but its essentially okay as long as it isn't carried in an intimidating way?

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
You need to speak with a criminal lawyer licensed to practice law in WA state.

You are on a gun forum seeking advice on criminal law. The violation of a criminal statute could have life long consequences.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Get a cane and familiarize yourself with the ADA guidelines! Canes are pretty much legal anywhere including airports, courthouses, and liberal nanny states. Learn some basic stick fighting techniques! Good luck!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Firstly, I am not a lawyer but yes, I believe it could be considered a club but it really doesn't matter as it would also fall under the category of "any other weapon". Note that this is really about the manner of carry, exhibition, or display which could indicate intimidation. Note too that open carry of firearms is legal In WA but they are still listed in this code section as to the manner of carry or display. One other thing, WA has firearm preemption, meaning the gun laws are uniform statewide and are controlled exclusivly by the State. This is true only for firearms and doesn't apply to knives or any other weapon. That means counties and cities may have their own laws affecting the legality of possession and carry of those items, concealed or otherwise.
I hope this helps.
What is a "Baton" primarily used for????? THAT in itself should answer the question.... I'm not a Lawyer, but I sure as heck wouldn't wanna be a Test Subject for any Case.
BTW..Welcome to the Forum.....

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
It does help, yeah, correct me if I misunderstood but its essentially okay as long as it isn't carried in an intimidating way?
You need to realize that in today's "culture" anything that can be perceived as a weapon in any way IS INTIMIDATING to any snowflake who sees it or sees an outline of it and reports you. Washington state being as blue, far left, as it is, you need to keep that in the front of your mind before you decide to carry anything in any manner.

It almost sounds like you want to nitpick the law. Also keep in mind that the local jurisdiction that comes to arrest you may read and understand it very differently from the way you do. I imagine that is why you came here to ask, but as others have said (and more will say), this is an internet forum where people can post their opinions. Nothing - repeat: NOTHING - written here can or should be interpreted as fact or as law.

And that is my opinion.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
You need to realize that in today's "culture" anything that can be perceived as a weapon in any way IS INTIMIDATING to any snowflake who sees it or sees an outline of it and reports you. Washington state being as blue, far left, as it is, you need to keep that in the front of your mind before you decide to carry anything in any manner.

It almost sounds like you want to nitpick the law. Also keep in mind that the local jurisdiction that comes to arrest you may read and understand it very differently from the way you do. I imagine that is why you came here to ask, but as others have said (and more will say), this is an internet forum where people can post their opinions. Nothing - repeat: NOTHING - written here can or should be interpreted as fact or as law.

And that is my opinion.
^^^^^^^^^^ I second that!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts

I'd say THIS is the Information you may be looking for.....
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that the Agency that MIGHT arrest you will be looking this info up too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts