Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a permit to carry is it legal to carry a gun that is not registered in your name? the real questions is can i carry a handgun that my dad bought for me when i was 18?

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
You will have to check your states laws. I'd recommend starting at Handgunlaw.us, and or contacting your state's Attorney General's office, or a lawyer who handles a lot of firearms stuff in you area.

I'd also review the ATF's standards for what a straw purchase is, as what you described above classifies as one.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
It will depend on your states laws. Most states do not require gun registration. Don't confuse the ATF form 4473 with state registration.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I would highly recommend that you search for and understand Minnesota gun law before you carry. (I am assuming your location tag is where you primarily carry) Knowing your state and local ordinances is the only way to stay out of trouble, and when it involves firearms there seems to be no way to get into "a little bit" of trouble!

·
Registered
315 Posts
With a permit to carry is it legal to carry a gun that is not registered in your name? the real questions is can i carry a handgun that my dad bought for me when i was 18?
I see you are in MN - there is no registration in MN, so the question does not apply, assuming you are asking about carrying in MN... So the answer to your 'real question' is an unequivocal YES.

I'm in one of the many 'burbs of the Twin Cities, if that helps give any credibility to my answer...

ETA: I'd look for and pick up a book titled, "Minnesota Permit to Carry a Firearm Fundamentals". It is an excellent and very easy to read reference for the laws regarding carry in MN. There are also two local (to the Twin Cities) 'carry' forums:

http://www.mnguntalk.com
http://www.carryforum.com/forum

I'm partial to the first one, but both are excellent resources for all things MN carry related - and for plenty of other things as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
In alot of states, You can own & carry one(WHILE HUNTING) or in veical-check your local laws I don't think you can CC till 21,again check laws. JMO

H/D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes if you are 21 or older and have your CCL. Your gun was a gift, it's yours. :hand10:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The gun is yours. It is in nobody's "name" A lot of people think there is a "master list" with every gun you own or have bought. If it is yours you can carry it.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I'd also review the ATF's standards for what a straw purchase is, as what you described above classifies as one.
INAL -- However, as I understand it, a gun bought as a gift to someone who can legally possess it is not the same as a proxy purchase under Federal or Virginia Law.

Here in Virginia, buying a gun with the express intention of giving it as a gift is is a common practice. OTOH, taking cash from someone so you can buy them a gun is a violation.

I seem to remember that gift giving was explained on the back of the 4493 form that you fill out when you buy from a licensed dealer -- something along the lines of it being a legitimate gift if you use your own money. Anyone have one handy? Is that still there?

I don't see where any other laws come into play, here in Virginia, as we have neither a State registration requirement, nor State licensees to "own/possess a gun" requirement, and our CHP is not limited to type or a particular handgun, and as private transfers between individuals are legal, here.

This issue has come up recently in another thread.

Any FFL or attorneys here who can weigh in on this question?

BTW -- I am talking intra-State not inter-State gifts, here.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Mississippi does not require registration. Nor does Mississippi have a means to register firearms.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow i feel ignorant. I also e-mailed my sheriffs office and they told me the same thing that minnesota does not register guns. I just turned 21 and do not have my permit to carry yet and am on day 12 of 30 waiting for my permit in the mail. thanks for all the good info peeps.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I agree with most of the posts. Check local laws, and possibly with an attorney familiar with gun rights.

Just for informational purposes for the group, it is illegal in New York State to carry someone else's firearm. Each NY State permit is in two parts. The first is the permit/license itself, and the second parts is all handguns licensed to that person.

Legally (in NY), your are not even allowed to shoot a firearm not regisitered on your permit. For example, if I were at the range, and wanted to try out someone else's gun, that's forbidden! Stupid law.

·
Registered
76 Posts
wow i feel ignorant. I also e-mailed my sheriffs office and they told me the same thing that minnesota does not register guns. I just turned 21 and do not have my permit to carry yet and am on day 12 of 30 waiting for my permit in the mail. thanks for all the good info peeps.
Don't feel Ignorant

You had a question and you asked the right people

Now you have an answer

Its much better than assuming something and not asking

The Saying is most often true

"there is no such thing as a stupid question"

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
..........I'd also review the ATF's standards for what a straw purchase is, as what you described above classifies as one.
Sorry, but wrong. From the ATF FAQ page:
(B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? [Back]

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]
Hoss

·
Registered
81 Posts
No registration needed here in Minnesota .With your permit your good to go!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used to work at a gun shop and sell these weapons. Its called a straw sale, purchasing a handgun for another to use. Its a fedaral crime. ATF forbids it. But any gun that has serial number or somthing that used to resemble can be traced, so I think you trust dad to not buy a gun w/a body on it, so no worries!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I used to work at a gun shop and sell these weapons. Its called a straw sale, purchasing a handgun for another to use. Its a fedaral crime. ATF forbids it. But any gun that has serial number or somthing that used to resemble can be traced, so I think you trust dad to not buy a gun w/a body on it, so no worries!
See post by cvhoss above.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Really with straw purchases, I think the issue is where the money for the gun came from, if it was a gift from the parent (the parent supplied the cash and gave the gun), it is different than if the child gives the parent money for the parent to willingly buy a firearm for someone under 21.

However, as a gift, it is ok.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts