Defensive Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an adult, with a FOID, who lives in IL (not Chicago). I am trying to find something on the internet (state police, ATF, & other websites) that say it is ok to gift a firearm within the family (to me), without having to use any kind of "transfer of ownership" or other government involved paperwork.

Is this legal? Can someone please point me to where it says this?

·
Registered
45,325 Posts
In IL? I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try the Illinois State Rifle Association. They may be able to answer your question.
Illinois State Rifle Association
Thank you much, but I was not able to find any related info on their website. I think I will try calling them next...

This should help. Waiting period still applies from what I gather and there is record keeping required for the seller.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/firearms052104.pdf
Thank you as well, but there is no seller. This Illinois State Police brochure doesn't say anything about when gifting.

And btw, I'm talking about used guns that I want to take from my (recently deceased) father and step-mother who is currently in possession of them. The two guns were not mentioned in his will, and my step mother does not want them...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's on the back of your FOID. It mentions transfers, not sales. If you have a valid FOID, you can get the guns and your step mother just has to keep a record of the transfer for 10 yrs. There are no transfer papers that have to be sent to anyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts