Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see so many folks saying how their CC weapons don't show at all, and there is no imprint in clothing etc.. Fine, no problem with that at all.. However, I pocket carry an LCP with a small padded holster with a belt clip on the outside of the pocket.. Really its an IWB holster, but its so small and light it fits nicely in the pocket without getting the gun all turned around etc... If you look close and long enough, depending on pants, shirt, etc you might know I am carrying.
I thought about it and was thinking along these lines.. Is there any problem with actually showing "just enough" that the bad boys might think twice and seek a softer target.. You know, one that might just capitulate and do whatever the BG wants??.. Rather than a target that might bite back hard?
Do I want people to know I am carrying??.. Probably not MOST of the time.. However, is planting doubt in the mind of a potential predator really so bad?
Not advocating anything either way, just think this subject might make for a nice robust debate... bob

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just carry it and don't worry about it. In almost 40 years of CCW'ing I have never been asked if I was carrying a firearm, had a permit or was I a LEO.
I always attempted to hide it the best I could but I am sure there was some printing from time to time.
In todays environment, if there is a "bulge" on someones side, it could be a smartphone, a glasses case or some other device.
And STOP touching it even couple minutes! Just make believe it's not there and go about your business......
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Are "imprinting" and "printing" the...same thing? :blink:

If my concealed handgun is printing, IMHO, that means it's noticeably in view beneath my cover garment or concealment method.

If my concealed handgun is imprinting, it can only be imprinting upon...ME! And that sounds very, VERY uncomfortable. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
In my opinion a bulg here and there doesn't mean anything. People carry so much junk on their belts and under clothing that anything could be in there. As long as it doesn't blatantly print as a firearm.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Most people have their faces in their smartphones and wouldn't notice if you were OCing. Not something to be concerned about. Can't say if it would ever deter a bad guy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Do I want people to know I am carrying??.. Probably not MOST of the time.. However, is planting doubt in the mind of a potential predator really so bad?
If you are carrying in such a way that a BG can obviously tell you are armed, you're not concealed. A random bulge is meaningless, so for your theoretical question it seems like you're talking about showing a bit more. Regardless of legalities, etc. I'm going to say it's probably not a good idea and you're actually kind of trolling BG's. Instead of the BG seeing it and thinking, Dang I'm going to avoid that guy! What if the BG seeing it thinks, Dang, that guy thinks he's one bad mother trucker. I'm going to see how he feels when he's eating the curb.

Another way to look at it is from the viewpoint of an innocent bystander. Wow, that guy must've haphazardly shoved that pistol in his pocket, anyone can see he's armed. He just walked into that convenience store, I bet he's going to rob it! I'm calling the cops!!

Having a BG be intimidated by it as you suggest is also a possibility, just not the only one.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Last night I had a few friends over and as a little experiment, I put on a cheap shoulder holster with a gov't 1911 and an open button down shirt as a cover garment. I revealed it at the end of the night to determine if anyone had noticed and simply kept shut or if everyone was genuinely surprised. No one knew at all and I know I had a significant bulge under my arm.

As has already been said, only people who carry (be it a CCW permit holder or a cop) will actually look for it and even if they see a bulge, that doesn't necessarily mean they KNOW its a firearm. To be quite honest carrying that shoulder holster just made me look plumper and really didn't "print" in the sense that you could clearly see outlines of a firearm.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its funny.. 99%+ of my life I NEVER once thought about it.. However now that I carry everywhere, every day and night, I AM aware, and can spot others that carry, usually in gun shops, large outdoors stores etc.. . I agree with those that say, most people simply aren't aware, aren't looking,don't care at all what or if you are carrying.. They probably have enough on their collective plates as it is.. I guess thats a good thing...
btw, in my small town church of about 70-80 people there are always at least 4 or 5 carrying to sunday services,- men and women.. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition indeed. Sadly, the world has changed.. drastically.. bob

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Most people will speculate about the potential actions of violent predatory criminals while using what they themselves might be deterred by, as a template. These same people have likely never encountered a violent predatory personality in their lives and have no idea how unlike them they truly are. Common sense and carefully weighed considerations are not what crime and violence are about.. nearly everything about crime and unprovoked violence is unreasonable on its face. If risk vs consequence vs gain were part of the process, most crime would never occur. Most violent crime is driven by psychosis, addiction, a perceived dire need or a well formed evil contempt for others. Projecting that fact that you are armed may deter or it may allow the determined criminal to tailor his attack around your perceived defenses. I am not willing to bet that a violent criminal is going to be all that deterred by the potential for violence. I see my CC firearm as a tool that affords me options in very specific circumstance. I do not see it as a talisman.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
You could have an arrow on your shirt pointing to where your gun is and the people around you wouldn't take their eyes off their phone long enough to notice any printing that might occur.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I dunno, to me, concealed means "concealed". I take every reasonable precaution to not print or otherwise flash my gun, but I agree with others that most people out and about are very self absorbed and likely wouldn't notice anyway. As far as deliberately flashing, I suppose there could be a scenario where that might be an option but that could backfire too. I think presenting an alert, purposeful presence or situational awareness, 'condition yellow', goes a long way to jam a thug's radar, so to speak.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have rarely had anyone notice my single stack 9mm under my t-shirt. If they do and ask I just tell them its a "medical device" and most people leave it at that. If asked "What for?" i tell them its to reduce blood pressure. I've never had to explain that its not for reducing my blood pressure.

Reactions: muzzleblast

·
Registered
289 Posts
IMO... You CONCEAL carry so that you may have that element of surprise against a BG. If I print a little, it's by accident. Be it bending or something like that... I'd prefer not to be a target because a BG thinks I'm armed and tries to get the drop on me. I"m the one trying to get the drop on the BG, not the other way around.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just so everyone knows.. I am NOT advocating "showing off" your CC weapon to scare off bad guys. As a matter of fact, I just went from an M&P Shield to an LCPII to leave a much smaller "footprint" when out and about.. Simply stirring up some spirited debate! bob

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm not sure how much this matters, but I've worked with two FBI agents who both "concealed" their Glock 19s in OWB holsters under a long shirt.

Both printed far worse than any civilian I've ever seen. Their guns were concealed only in the sense that you couldn't see the actual metal/plastic of the gun.

I got it - they don't need to worry if people know they have a gun. But the CBP guys I've worked with both conceal their guns much more effectively. In fact, one of them was the guy who turned me onto AIWB.

Meanwhile, any bad guy who glanced at these FBI agents would know they were a threat instantly.

Personally, I have carried where anyone who was looking would have certainly seen some printing, but my worst printing is the gun butt creating a small bump. Often, I carry a smaller gun and the printing disappears completely.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I don't worry about it, because if anyone is paying attention to a bulge under my shirt, it's always where I carry my cell phone on my belt. It's never been on where my gun is. Call it the art of distraction.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Most people are so unobservant you could open carry in front of them and they wouldn't notice. While it once was true that a bulge on the belt probably meant a gun, now it can be a smart phone or a Leatherman. My phone is in a leather case, and the mag pouch too, worn on the opposite side to balance things out.

I've never been asked if I was carrying, even by people who know I make holsters. I don't know if it is because they don't notice or just don't say anything.

It could be the latter. I was camping this summer with some friends and went to Yellowstone with them on the third day. Since it is legal, I carried. One of my friends wanted to go inside the lodge. I knew it had a sign on the door so I declined. He kept asking questions about my reasons so finally I told him why. His surprise told me that he had no idea I was carrying, even though he knew I made holsters.

I consider myself a very observant person so I do have a humorous (to me) story about a CCer in a Subway restaurant a few years ago. He was in front of me getting a drink from the soda machine when I noticed two small black clips on a black belt. They had distinctive crosses on them. Looking more closely I could see the outline of his pistol under his shirt. As he passed by me, I whispered, "How do you like that Crossbreed Supertuck?" The look on his face was priceless. I expected a comment, but he made none and simply sat down to eat.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts