Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I carry a Glock 26 so this hasn't been a concern. However, I really like my Ruger EC9s which does have a safety. I'd like to pocket carry it and I'd assume there's no safety concern if I leave the safety off since the pocket holster covers the trigger guard, but thought I'd ask here instead of my leg potentially getting an unwanted surprise.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
It's a striker-fired pistol, thus it requires force applied to the trigger in order to fire. Carried in a pocket holster that prevents trigger access, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it with the safety off.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
I say carry with the safety on, that way you know that you will click it off when you need to use it. It would really suck to inadvertently click it on, and your gun not work when you need it most.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I once owned a Lc9s. It had a safety. I kept the safety engaged because the trigger pull on the gun was lighter than any gun I had ever owned. I think it was a tad over 3 pounds. I was not adverse to safeties because my indoctrination to pistols was the M1911, which has multiple safeties. We had to have the thumb safety engaged when not in use. I used that gun in CQB, and the safety never presented a problem because constant practice made it second nature to release the safety on the draw.

Every pistol I have owned since then had a thumb safety except for my last two: a RM380 and a PPS M2. Trigger pull on both of those guns is heavier than on the Lc9s. I have no problem with the absence of a safety either gun. Even with the exceptionally long and trigger pull of the RM380 I always carry in a holster. The PPS M2 has a much lighter and shorter pull. My holsters for it provide good retention and trigger coverage. I have no concerns about the absence of a safety on either gun. All that SAI, if I were going the carry an Lc9s or Ec9s I would engage the safety even when holstered. There have been self inflicted accidental shootings while drawing pistols with heavier trigger pulls. Speed often results in errors. But while I would engage the safety I would also practice drawing and releasing the safety on the draw. There is no such thing as perfect but practice gets youvas close to perfect as you can get.

·
Premium Member
33,892 Posts
When I'm hand-on-gun with it as a floater in my coat or jacket pocket, the safety is on. When it goes back into the IWB holster, the safety gets snicked off. My pocket-carry holstered gun is never carried with the safety on, even is so equipped.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Pocket carry has a slightly different safety concern to consider, because not all pockets are created equal.

When drawing from some pockets it’s less smooth than others, with a chance of hanging up slightly. If something impedes the draw the reflex action is to push back in, reorient, and try to draw again. A manual safety can prevent an ND if the trigger gets caught while reorienting on a flubbed draw. Note that backstrap grip safeties don’t help here.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
I would go with consistency. If you normally carry all your other guns with safety on then carry the EC9s with safety on. If you normally carry all your other guns with safety off then carry the EC9s with safety off. Y'all don't want any confusion in your carry habits when you need the gun the most.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
The safety that matters is between one's ears - it should always be on. But yes, pocket carry is a bit different with respect to having a gun safety on. I would want one on.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
I pocket carry a Sig P938 in a kydex holster. As soon as I put my hand in the pocket, my thumb is on the safety and the safety goes off once the pistol clears my pocket. The only other pistol I have with a safety is a Colt Commander and the safety goes on before it is holstered.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
It's a striker-fired pistol, thus it requires force applied to the trigger in order to fire. Carried in a pocket holster that prevents trigger access, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it with the safety off.
OK, I am not saying that strikers cannot be carried safely. Clearly they can. But as someone who has worked in the safety field, especially with systems safety, the idea of a "safety trigger" is ludicrous. A safety on a gun is intended to keep the gun from going off when you don't want it to. The idea of a trigger is to make a gun go off when you do want it to. The idea of having both the safety and the actuator be essentially the same lever and deactivated and activated respectively by the same motion goes against the basic rules of system safety.

It would be like having only one pedal in a car that takes the engine out of idle and releases the brakes when you press it and returns the engine to idle and apples the brakes when you release it. I would not want to drive such a car and I would not agree with that being called a "safety pedal."

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,814 Posts
I carry a government model 1911 in condition one on my belt in a leather pancake style holster with the thumb safety on. I carry my Sig P938 in condition one in a leather pocket holster with the thumb safety on. My thumb automatically swipes the safety on the draw.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
OK, I am not saying that strikers cannot be carried safely. Clearly they can. But as someone who has worked in the safety field, especially with systems safety, the idea of a "safety trigger" is ludicrous. A safety on a gun is intended to keep the gun from going off when you don't want it to. The idea of a trigger is to make a gun go off when you do want it to. The idea of having both the safety and the actuator be essentially the same lever and deactivated and activated respectively by the same motion goes against the basic rules of system safety.

It would be like having only one pedal in a car that takes the engine out of idle and releases the brakes when you press it and returns the engine to idle and apples the brakes when you release it. I would not want to drive such a car and I would not agree with that being called a "safety pedal."
The only safety trigger is a heavy revolver type of trigger pull. The little tab on the trigger is a drop safety only and is not intended prevent something from accidentally depressing the trigger. It’s not equivalent to a thumb safety that disables the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,623 Posts
Didn't you read your Glock owner's manual where it says not to carry it with a loaded chamber?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts