Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone, I don't know which Gun to get next. I've got all of the .40 and .45 cal glocks (including the new G30S). I'm open to suggestions because I don't know much about the other calibers. This is not for CCW, just for fun at the range or something. My 1st thought is to get a Glock 19, 9mm. After thinking about it for a while though, I also wish I could find a cool and reliable polymer framed .22lr or .22 magnum semi-auto.....any suggestions there? It must be polymer framed because my hands always sweat real bad....I don't like rusting things up.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you're looking for a gun that is just "for fun at the range", I'd suggest getting a .22lr. Everyone needs one of those. Hopefully ammo will be more available for it soon.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Ruger makes nice .22's. I've had my eye on their SR22 which feels great in my hand. There's also their LCR22 and 22wmr.

You won't go wrong with the Glock 19. Excellent excellent gun. It's the high water mark for 9mm striker fired pistols IMO.

I don't have a .22lr pistol yet. I may be in the market for one soon too.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
For .22 Magnum, Kel-Tec makes a full-size polymer auto that holds 30 rounds, I think called a PMR-30. Never fired one, but I like the idea.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have a Walter P22 and I sold it because it just didn't function properly...mags falling out, FTF, FTE.

Reactions: Hopyard

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Ditto-- still have it. Its fun at the range but ...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For .22 Magnum, Kel-Tec makes a full-size polymer auto that holds 30 rounds, I think called a PMR-30. Never fired one, but I like the idea.
Very interesting.....:

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Laser guns

The PMR-30 is a light weight, full size pistol chambered for the flat-shooting .22Magnum cartridge (.22WMR). The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. It uses a double stack magazine of a new design that holds 30 rounds and fits completely in the grip of the pistol. The trigger is a crisp single action with an over-travel stop. The manual safety is a thumb activated ambidextrous safety lever (up for SAFE, down for FIRE). The slide locks back after the last shot and a manual slide lock lever is also provided. The light, crisp trigger pull and fiber optic sights make the PMR-30 ideal for target shooting and hunting small game.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I'd recommend an S&W M&P 22, Ruger SR22 or Ruger 22/45

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just got a Ruger 22/45 Lite and it is really nice.. going to add a Burris fastfire II red dot..

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Very interesting.....:

View attachment 73595

The PMR-30 is a light weight, full size pistol chambered for the flat-shooting .22Magnum cartridge (.22WMR). The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. It uses a double stack magazine of a new design that holds 30 rounds and fits completely in the grip of the pistol. The trigger is a crisp single action with an over-travel stop. The manual safety is a thumb activated ambidextrous safety lever (up for SAFE, down for FIRE). The slide locks back after the last shot and a manual slide lock lever is also provided. The light, crisp trigger pull and fiber optic sights make the PMR-30 ideal for target shooting and hunting small game.
Good luck finding one, you'll pay a high price and it will still be a shoddily made Kel Tec.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ruger makes nice .22's. I've had my eye on their SR22 which feels great in my hand.
The Ruger SR22 is cool too:

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Packed with versatile features, the SR22® is lightweight (just 17.5 ounces) and perfect for just about anything - plinking, target shooting and even small game hunting. It is easy to field strip, fun to shoot, and will run reliably with a wide variety of ammunition (not just high-velocity ammunition).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that you guys have shown me the .22 polymer options, it's looking like the Ruger SR22 is my best option. The others are good, but PMR-30 is way too expensive and M&P22 looks too big for me....it looks like a full size Sig.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
fpr 22 lr, i would look for a ruger MK3 22/45. It is polymer framed, has the grip angle and contols of a 1911, and deadly accurate. It comes in two flavors, the 22/45, and the 22/45 RP. the standard model is all polymer. The RP is all polymer as well but comes with Rosewood removable grip panels allowing you to put any 1911 made grips on it as well. I had the RP model with slimline G10 grips. I used for hunting, plinking and competition and it kicked serious butt. Also, if you like to play, the MK3 series pistols are the most customizable 22 pistol their is. Mine had a host of modifications, including a 3lb target trigger with adjustable pull and overtravel, a reddot scope, extended mag realease, LCI removal kit, mag safety removal kit for clean mag drops, a compensator ( non threaded barrel, found one the mounts to the front sight screw holes, worked amazingly well :), fully adjustable sights, and a slingshot kit that makes disassembly a breeze ( ruger mk series pistols a notorious PIA to disassemble/reassemble, but its a quirky charm lol). In over 10,000 rnds, the only issues I had were the occasional squib loads found in bulk 22 lr ammo, thats it. the only downside is I had to have kydex holster made to accomodate all the goodies, as market holsters only fit stock guns with no accessories.

If you are looking for cheap but awesome, I started shooting competition with a beretta Neos. less than $300 bucks new, ulta accurate, dissembly take about a minute and never had a problem other than squib loads, but they kind of look like a space ray pistol. also, the neos has a kit that turns it into a 22 rifle as well... kind of nifty IMO.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I had a chance to buy a PMR30 about a month ago and passed (it was at roughly MSRP at a LGS, guy who ordered it flaked while I was there)...it is a cool concept but, like others have said, is it still a Kel Tec. It actually has been for sale for close to 3 years, but very few are out there since the initial run had massive problems with keyholing (when a round isn't stabilized and tumbles instead of spins, accuracy goes out the window), they recalled all them and production stopped for a time. Even today the new production models are very spotty on QC and known to be very picky on ammo. As with many Kel Tec products, it is an innovative idea that the company has been totally unable to make commercially viable, much like the KSG.

Some (myself included) have thought of the PMR as a 'poor man's FiveseveN', that really isn't true. The .22WMR is nowhere close to the 5.7x28mm round in performance. Also, the .22WMR is not cheap like .22lr, it is about the same cost as most center fire pistol rounds. Last time I saw it in a store it was $18 for 50rd.

The SR22 is really nice and affordably priced. An SR22 with a threaded barrel (factory) is definitely on my list, you an get them in most sporting good stores for under $400.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well everyone, I don't know which Gun to get next. I've got all of the .40 and .45 cal glocks (including the new G30S). I'm open to suggestions because I don't know much about the other calibers. This is not for CCW, just for fun at the range or something. My 1st thought is to get a Glock 19, 9mm. After thinking about it for a while though, I also wish I could find a cool and reliable polymer framed .22lr or .22 magnum semi-auto.....any suggestions there? It must be polymer framed because my hands always sweat real bad....I don't like rusting things up.
Try the .22WMR. I absolutely love that round. It's got enough punch to cut through soft body armor, and it's tiny. Another really fun gun to shoot that you can pick up cheap, is a Tokarev TT33 chambered in the standard 7.62x25mm It's super high velocity, and a real blast to shoot. I've rarely met a person who didn't really enjoy that gun, and the ammo can be bought as old Soviet Bloc surplus stuff for real cheap too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'd have to agree with those who have suggested the Ruger SR22. I purchased one to get range time without having to fire more expensive calibers. The SR22 fires "regular" .22LR flawlessly. I have 1,000+ rounds through mine without a single cycle, misfire, squib, or stovepipe. I've also shot it side by side with the Walther .22 and the Sig Mosquito .22, both of which experienced cycling issues with regular .22. Polymer body, fairly inexpensive compared to others, very comfortable and accurate. I simply couldn't recommend it more.

Added thought: I only wish it was striker fire and not hammer fire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts