Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20200420_105637.jpg 20200513_164838.jpg 20200513_164848.jpg

I'm a relatively new handgun owner and purchased this kydex holster from Vedder for my Smith & Wesson 638 approximately one month ago to begin preparation and training for concealed carry. I'd like to believe that I did enough to educate myself on kydex holsters and how they relate to the firearm being holstered in them before I decided to purchase one. From what I understand so far, I realize that wear to the finish of a firearm is normal for any firearm that you choose to carry on your person in a holster. However, I believe that the wear that's been appearing on my firearm's cylinder from just one month of use is abnormal. I also believe that the holster that I am using is defective and causing this wear, but would like to see what others may think.

I'd really appreciate any feedback. Photos are included in the post.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit surprised by the wear on the cylinder, although, regardless of the holster, you should expect wear on the gun if you EDC. I wonder if you have too much "retention tension" that could be causing the wear(???). I've always been happy with Vedder products and never had a reason to deal with their CS, but you might email the pix to them and see what they say.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
How often is that J frame going into and out of that holster?

Much of the wear from Kydex isn’t from the polymer on gun contact, it is from debris/particulate grinding on the finish.
Your picture shows a clean holster, is that what it looked like pre-picture or did you clean it up first?

Kydex holsters can be poorly formed and cause hot spots. There are also different grades of Kydex as well, very low, inexpensive Kydex sheets are made from scrap and are more abrasive than higher grades.

I’ve wondered if many of the lower priced holsters on the market are made from cheaper Kydex.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Another famous maker uses a softer plastic that can imbed sand and grit. That grit works like sandpaper. Real Kydex should not embed or hold grit and sand, But may have a static charge that holds grit. If you notice grit stuck to your holster wipe it down with a dryer sheet to take away the static cling. The pattern of your wear suggests that it is sand or grit. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Leave it home in the vault. Take it out only when anyone that will touch it is wearing white cotton gloves. Set it down only on a soft pillow. it a Gun. if you are going to carry it expect some wear. If you use it expect a bit more wear. I know I am being a bit of an ass but it is a gun. Not an investment that will be flip in 20 years for more than you paid for it.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I think that's excessive wear. None of my kydex holsters do that to their firearms and they're not stainless either.
Looking again, those marks on the cylinder are deep. I have a feeling that gun gets carried a lot doing something dirty and the holster was cleaned before the picture was taken.

Since we don’t have a response from the OP for clarification, we may never know.

Kydex isn’t going to do that, even poorly fitting, but a holster full of sand will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking again, those marks on the cylinder are deep. I have a feeling that gun gets carried a lot doing something dirty and the holster was cleaned before the picture was taken.

Since we don’t have a response from the OP for clarification, we may never know.

Kydex isn’t going to do that, even poorly fitting, but a holster full of sand will.
I've carried the gun in the holster for a little over a month now and have cleaned the holster twice during that time span. I work in a retail environment and wear the holster under a tucked shirt. I feel like I should clarify that I expect wear to be presented on the gun and know that holsters will wear the finish. I don't really have an issue with that. I'm just concerned that this apparently excessive wear could cause the functionality of the firearm to deteriorate due to the deep scratching it's already getting in a short time span.

I don't know if the pictures show it, but I did find two rough spots inside the holster near where the front of the cylinder makes contact. I'm pretty sure it's a manufacturer defect. I thoroughly cleaned the holster and it's still adding additional wear to my firearm.

Thank you everyone for your input. I apologize for the late response and hope the new information helps!

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
The folks at Vedder are good, honest people. I agree that you should send them pictures, perhaps more specifically detailed than what you posted here. If somehow a defective holster got sent out I'm sure they will make it right for you.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
Those appear to be fairly uniform scratches, not wear from the kydex itself.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit surprised by the wear on the cylinder, although, regardless of the holster, you should expect wear on the gun if you EDC. I wonder if you have too much "retention tension" that could be causing the wear(???). I've always been happy with Vedder products and never had a reason to deal with their CS, but you might email the pix to them and see what they say.
Thanks! I have the retention adjusted to where I can hold the firearm upside down without it falling out. I can still drop the firearm out of the holster if I give it 2-3 moderate shakes. And I agree with vedder being a good company. They came highly recommended by a friend of mine and seem to be good people from what I've learned about them. I've already sent them a detailed email with photos included, but just wanted to see what more experienced owners thought about this situation.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I’ve got wear on both my 1911’s and Glocks, from a lot of presentations and reholstering, but nothin’ like that.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
Thanks! I have the retention adjusted to where I can hold the firearm upside down without it falling out. I can still drop the firearm out of the holster if I give it 2-3 moderate shakes. And I agree with vedder being a good company. They came highly recommended by a friend of mine and seem to be good people from what I've learned about them. I've already sent them a detailed email with photos included, but just wanted to see what more experienced owners thought about this situation.
Personally, I've always judged retention by how it comes out of the holster when I pull it rather than the upside down and shake test.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I’ve got wear on both my 1911’s and Glocks, from a lot of presentations and reholstering, but nothin’ like that.
Agree, you know how hard I run mine, they get racked off of bumpers and jammed into A/C vents and don’t have marks like that.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I've carried the gun in the holster for a little over a month now and have cleaned the holster twice during that time span. I work in a retail environment and wear the holster under a tucked shirt. I feel like I should clarify that I expect wear to be presented on the gun and know that holsters will wear the finish. I don't really have an issue with that. I'm just concerned that this apparently excessive wear could cause the functionality of the firearm to deteriorate due to the deep scratching it's already getting in a short time span.

I don't know if the pictures show it, but I did find two rough spots inside the holster near where the front of the cylinder makes contact. I'm pretty sure it's a manufacturer defect. I thoroughly cleaned the holster and it's still adding additional wear to my firearm.

Thank you everyone for your input. I apologize for the late response and hope the new information helps!
The wear on the ends of the cylinder won’t cause function issues, but from what you have informed us, the wear is excessive.

If you run your fingernail over the marks on the cylinder, does it catch? They look fairly deep for just an abrasion mark from a holster.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Please take a picture of the face of the holster, with gun inserted.

I think I’ve figured it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wear on the ends of the cylinder won’t cause function issues, but from what you have informed us, the wear is excessive.

If you run your fingernail over the marks on the cylinder, does it catch? They look fairly deep for just an abrasion mark from a holster.
Yes, it does catch.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
Please take a picture of the face of the holster, with gun inserted.

I think I’ve figured it out.
Without seeing the holster, I would guess whatever secures the belt attachment is gouging the cylinder.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
J Frames are one of your specialties. Didn’t Smith coat the Stainless guns in something that flakes off?

I feel like there was an issue at some point with the lightweight J’s.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Without seeing the holster, I would guess whatever secures the belt attachment is gouging the cylinder.
Bingo. That’s what it looks like from the internal view.

But then look at the entire length of the cylinder, there is deep drag marks. So it’s still something else, in addition.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts