Defensive Carry banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I also believe that the holster that I am using is defective and causing this wear, but would like to see what others may think.
What does the inside of your holster feel like? Is it smooth or is there something rough, perhaps a defect or a rough snag of something putting those scratches on your gun? What you are showing us isn't normal for a kydex holster. I doubt you are packing enough sand or grit around in the holster to do that.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Yes. Ok, so it’s not the screws attaching the belt clip. I was wrong.

Yes, Call Vedder Holsters and let them know.

Reactions: darthen109

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Inside of the holster feels smooth as near as I can tell. There's only two rough spots in the area where the front of the cylinder rests, but that doesn't explain the rest of the wear. I also ran my fingers over the screw holes to see if the screws are pertruding and they are not.

·
Super Moderator
19,306 Posts
Good grief, I just looked at my blued (well, black, actually) 9mm Range Officer used almost exclusively for club matches. In 5 years it's been drawn from and re-holstered into a kydex Blade-Tech holster close to 1000 times. The gun shows finish wear on the trigger guard and near the muzzle, but that's it and there are no scratches like you're showing. By all means, talk to your holster maker!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
In my opinion Kydex is tougher than leather on guns finish, it has to be kept clean, but expect wear on a carry gun.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Yes. Ok, so it’s not the screws attaching the belt clip. I was wrong.

Yes, Call Vedder Holsters and let them know.
Matt, is the masking on that frame normal for a J frame with kydex benders? Because that's not the lines on an airweight revolver. It's either masking by Vedder to fill in the gap under the cylinder (very possible), or the wrong mold gun (less likely but possible). Grabbing the wrong mold/shell is a great way to get hot spots. And it does not look like they molded the flutes so they may mask that entire area.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Matt, is the masking on that frame normal for a J frame with kydex benders? Because that's not the lines on an airweight revolver. It's either masking by Vedder to fill in the gap under the cylinder (very possible), or the wrong mold gun (less likely but possible). Grabbing the wrong mold/shell is a great way to get hot spots. And it does not look like they molded the flutes so they may mask that entire area.
I can’t see much detail, but you may be onto something.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In my opinion Kydex is tougher than leather on guns finish, it has to be kept clean, but expect wear on a carry gun.
Actually leather is more apt to hold debris that causes wear than kydex. Kydex is smooth and can be easily wiped clean of any debris. Leather will hold debris.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts