Defensive Carry banner

Is Ohio anti-gun?

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  sojourner 
#1 ·
I currently live in GA and as I have stated before, I travel to OH a good bit to visit the outlaws. I am currently waiting to get my FLA non-resident permit. To kill the time I have been looking over OH's gun laws and they are a crock! I know that you guys scored a victory with getting the CCL law passed but #$%*. First of all how in the heck are you suppposed to carry in plain sight in a car? I have read the law and it is vague. It almost sounds like I should put my piece on lanyard around my neck like some WWI officer. I hear SOME of the troopers are anti-CCW. Are they going to prey on me since I am from out of state? Second, do state laws trump the local ordinances of Cleveland, Cincinnatti, and bunch of other smaller towns? I really can't afford to mess this up because my employer runs background checks on me every five years and they would fire me for a gun violation.
Maybe I am just parnoid. Please don't flame me....but this is frustrating.:confused:

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Hooligan said:
Sorry about Ohio's dumb laws. Try living here.

My wife and I are planning to move up there in about three years. She needs to be closer to her family then I do mine. A Georgia Peach in the Buckeye state, now that should be interesting!

Discussion starter · #11 · (Edited)
Invisible Swordsman said:
Even though our CCW law has a lot of problems, Ohio gun laws are generally not very restrictive.

Pros:
--No firearms owner ID card system for purchases
--No waiting periods
--No gun registration at the state level (some cities do require it)
--No limit on number purchased (such as 1 gun a month, etc.)
--Unloaded firearms may be transported in motor vehicles without any requirement that you be en route to or from a range or other sporting actvity
--No "assault weapon" ban at state level, some cities do
--Full auto weapons can be owned if federal requirements are met
--No ammo restrictions, such as the NJ ban on hollow points
--Shall issue CCW

Cons:
--No state premption over local ordinances, except for the CCW law
--there is a magazine capacity limit, but it's 30 rounds (except for .22s), so it's not a horrible limit
--The flaws and restrictions in the CCW law, especially the car carry plain sight nonsense.

The biggest problems with the CCW law are the car carry issue and the lengthy list of prohibited locations. The restricted locations seem very similar to what a lot of the other states have, but the car thing is definitely unique.

We're definitely a lot better off here than states like Illinois, Masachusetts, New Jersey, California and Maryland.

Mark
Yeah, but in some towns and locations esp. Cleveland my ownership of a MAK-90 and AR-15 make me a criminal. Heck my Glock 21 with a 13 rounder makes me a criminal in some places. It's not your fault, but I take offense to that.
In a town like Cleveland where hundreds of police officers have been laid off (or so I have been told) who is going to protect me besides myself?

Discussion starter · #15 ·
SammyIamToday said:
I'm sorry about that. :duh: Might want to try going south of the Ohio river. Our gun laws are better and it's a close drive if her family is in southern Ohio.

They live about 35 miles south of Cleveland so KY is out of the question. You know, one of the best feelings I get is when I am heading south on I-75 and I see the water tower in Florence, Ky that says FLORENCE YA'LL. It makes me feel like I am home again.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
"As anti-gun as Illinois? Give me a break. We have our faults but we're getting better."

Ok, I'll give you that one for sure. You aren't is bad as MASS., CAL, or ILL.

"The state troopers will give you a problem before any local cops will. They are the ones that petitioned for the 'poison pill' - the plain sight law. However, to date, everyone I know who has been pulled over (state police or local) have had good experiences"

Well these are the ones that I have the most chance of encountering on my joyful jaunts up I-71. A Georgia resident with a non-resident FLA permit. I hope they are well versed on the reciprocity laws because my two year old, my wife, and me would not appreciate having a .40 Glock stuck to my head because of some over zealous trooper. Also, if I am by-passing CINN and COL am I still within city limits? If so isn't my carry in the glove box now illegal. I'm not trying to be a pain in the wazzu, but I really don't want to be the one fighting the TEST cases in court. Not that I don't want to fight for FREEDOM, I just don't have the deep pockets or a very understanding employer.

"Really, the ONLY safe way to vehicle carry is in a locked glove box. The locked case may look like a good alternative - but guess what - it has to be in 'plain sight' too."

Doesn't offer quick access but it'll do for now. I guess that I can reholster the weapon in the car and carry into the Stop and Robs?

Guys I have just edited this for the fourth time and I can't get my quotes to break up the way that I want them. Forgive me for the rookie mistakes.:image035:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.