Defensive Carry banner

Is Ohio anti-gun?

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  sojourner 
Doc Holliday said:
I currently live in GA and as I have stated before, I travel to OH a good bit to visit the outlaws. I am currently waiting to get my FLA non-resident permit. To kill the time I have been looking over OH's gun laws and they are a crock! I know that you guys scored a victory with getting the CCL law passed but #$%*.
Yeah. Somehow we managed to get an anti-gun republican governor (with a 6.5% approval rating--Yes, that decimal is in the right place), meaning that the CCW law had to take his veto into account.

First of all how in the heck are you suppposed to carry in plain sight in a car?
My understanding of the law (IANAL) is that it needs to be holstered on your person in plain sight when the officer comes to the door, not plain sight to people driving by--Thigh holster or such is OK. I've seen references to clipping a holster to the seatbelt, also seen where that may not be considered "on your person" as the law requires. I'm finishing up CCW training Saturday--Plan to carry IWB most of the time, but keep a cheap clip on or velcro holster for car carry.

We're working on it--A bill to fix that and other things passed in the house 76-18. Taft will veto it when it passes the senate. There may be enough votes to override, but worst case is that we wait for the next gubernatorial election--Both leading candidates are pro-gun.

I have read the law and it is vague. It almost sounds like I should put my piece on lanyard around my neck like some WWI officer. I hear SOME of the troopers are anti-CCW. Are they going to prey on me since I am from out of state? Second, do state laws trump the local ordinances of Cleveland, Cincinnatti, and bunch of other smaller towns? I really can't afford to mess this up because my employer runs background checks on me every five years and they would fire me for a gun violation.
Maybe I am just parnoid. Please don't flame me....but this is frustrating.:confused:
Try living here...Preemption is part of the fixit bill in progress now. Check packing.org for details and local ordinances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.