Defensive Carry banner

Is Ohio anti-gun?

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  sojourner 
#1 ·
I currently live in GA and as I have stated before, I travel to OH a good bit to visit the outlaws. I am currently waiting to get my FLA non-resident permit. To kill the time I have been looking over OH's gun laws and they are a crock! I know that you guys scored a victory with getting the CCL law passed but #$%*. First of all how in the heck are you suppposed to carry in plain sight in a car? I have read the law and it is vague. It almost sounds like I should put my piece on lanyard around my neck like some WWI officer. I hear SOME of the troopers are anti-CCW. Are they going to prey on me since I am from out of state? Second, do state laws trump the local ordinances of Cleveland, Cincinnatti, and bunch of other smaller towns? I really can't afford to mess this up because my employer runs background checks on me every five years and they would fire me for a gun violation.
Maybe I am just parnoid. Please don't flame me....but this is frustrating.:confused:

#3 ·
by most accounts, Ohio is considered to be pretty ant-gun right up there with Illinois and the anti gun Yankee states.

Second, do state laws trump the local ordinances of Cleveland, Cincinnatti, and bunch of other smaller towns?
Only if the state has a preemption law that basically means that a city cannot enact a law that is stricter than that of the state.

Unfortunaltey, I dont think that Ohio has that law, so the answer would be YES, a city or town or even a homeowners guild could enact a law that is more restricitive than what a state allows.

If you are out of state you will be looked at harder than a resident if tyou are traveling through...sad, but its just a fact of life. If a trooper does happen to be anti-gun, youd better believe that he will enforce any law, no matter how vague or silly it may be to his advantage.

#4 ·
I haven't yet made a trip to OH - but what worries me is the apparent greyness. All depending perhaps on the cop's attitude to carry if stopped.

I would play very safe, drive carefully and make sure to follow the assinine '' in plain sight'' crock!

#6 ·
Well having been pulled over on a fishing trip by a State Trooper I can tell you it can be done.
There are 3 ways.
First, keep it in your locked glove box, not console but "GLOVE BOX".
Second, go to http://homebasedgroup.com/holsters/ and order the thigh holster. That places you piston clearly visible from anybody.
Third, use a IWB/OWB and make sure that that pistol is visible without breaking the plane of the window. (this is how I was carying when stopped. The trooper didn't have a problem).

#7 ·
As an Ohio resident, allow me to shed some light on this crappy situation:

Ohio isn't necessarily anti-gun, but you wouldn't know that by the laws. We have some powerful lib-tard special interest groups that unfortunately had some sway in the CCW bill. I'll try to answer your questions in the order they were asked.

1- plain sight in a vehicle. The law states you need to carry in plain sight, in a holster, on your person. What a drag, yeah I know. I carry in a CTAC IWB normally, so I've purchased a cheap Uncle Mike's to clip onto my belt near the buckle when I'm in the car. Either plain sight, or LOCKED in the glove box, not just in the glove box. Or in a locked case, but the case has to be in plain sight.

2- Troopers preying on you. I don't know if they will prey on you or not, I'm not from out of state. But then again, I don't have a problem in other states. Just follow the speed limit and don't give them a reason to pull you over. Works for me.

3- preemption. State laws do NOT trump local laws. Different cities can pass all kinds of stupid rules that you should follow. Example - In Toledo you can only have 10 rounds in a mag, even if its a hi-cap mag. I carry an XD with 15 in the mag. Do I care? Not really. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Same as number 2 - just don't get caught.

Sorry about Ohio's dumb laws. Try living here. We have a bill in the Senate right now that is going to fix ALL of those points. It already passed the house overwhelmingly. Let me know if there's more I can clarify. Also check out www.packing.org and www.ohioccw.org.

#8 ·
Even though our CCW law has a lot of problems, Ohio gun laws are generally not very restrictive.

Pros:
--No firearms owner ID card system for purchases
--No waiting periods
--No gun registration at the state level (some cities do require it)
--No limit on number purchased (such as 1 gun a month, etc.)
--Unloaded firearms may be transported in motor vehicles without any requirement that you be en route to or from a range or other sporting actvity
--No "assault weapon" ban at state level, some cities do
--Full auto weapons can be owned if federal requirements are met
--No ammo restrictions, such as the NJ ban on hollow points
--Shall issue CCW

Cons:
--No state premption over local ordinances, except for the CCW law
--there is a magazine capacity limit, but it's 30 rounds (except for .22s), so it's not a horrible limit
--The flaws and restrictions in the CCW law, especially the car carry plain sight nonsense.

The biggest problems with the CCW law are the car carry issue and the lengthy list of prohibited locations. The restricted locations seem very similar to what a lot of the other states have, but the car thing is definitely unique.

We're definitely a lot better off here than states like Illinois, Masachusetts, New Jersey, California and Maryland.

Mark

#9 ·
Hooligan and Invisible Swordsman pretty well summed it up, so I'm not gonna echo what they summed up so succinctly. I've had my OH CCW for only 2 months but hesitate to carry in vehicle, but I DO use the holster clipped low on the seat belt as was suggested by my CCW instructor (and Hooligan).

Hopefully this legislation will pass making it easier to vehicle carry and overturn local carry codes. Although the gov has said that he'll veto it, hopefully we have enough to override the veto. At worst, he's out in Sept.

I'm hanging loose on this and hope that our OH burrocrats will eventually straighten this mess out.

#10 ·
Hooligan said:
Sorry about Ohio's dumb laws. Try living here.

My wife and I are planning to move up there in about three years. She needs to be closer to her family then I do mine. A Georgia Peach in the Buckeye state, now that should be interesting!

#11 · (Edited)
Invisible Swordsman said:
Even though our CCW law has a lot of problems, Ohio gun laws are generally not very restrictive.

Pros:
--No firearms owner ID card system for purchases
--No waiting periods
--No gun registration at the state level (some cities do require it)
--No limit on number purchased (such as 1 gun a month, etc.)
--Unloaded firearms may be transported in motor vehicles without any requirement that you be en route to or from a range or other sporting actvity
--No "assault weapon" ban at state level, some cities do
--Full auto weapons can be owned if federal requirements are met
--No ammo restrictions, such as the NJ ban on hollow points
--Shall issue CCW

Cons:
--No state premption over local ordinances, except for the CCW law
--there is a magazine capacity limit, but it's 30 rounds (except for .22s), so it's not a horrible limit
--The flaws and restrictions in the CCW law, especially the car carry plain sight nonsense.

The biggest problems with the CCW law are the car carry issue and the lengthy list of prohibited locations. The restricted locations seem very similar to what a lot of the other states have, but the car thing is definitely unique.

We're definitely a lot better off here than states like Illinois, Masachusetts, New Jersey, California and Maryland.

Mark
Yeah, but in some towns and locations esp. Cleveland my ownership of a MAK-90 and AR-15 make me a criminal. Heck my Glock 21 with a 13 rounder makes me a criminal in some places. It's not your fault, but I take offense to that.
In a town like Cleveland where hundreds of police officers have been laid off (or so I have been told) who is going to protect me besides myself?

#12 ·
I can concure with what has been reported above and I am an Ohio Resident. I got my CHL in 2004 and carry daily.
I use a Lifejacket locking case to carry in the car. I have to admit being stopped 2 times (only ticketed 1 time) and both troopers and local police have been very professional. Once informed (with hands on the steering wheel) they seemed to be a little more relaxed knowing I'm a law abiding citizen looking to protect myself.

I will tell you just be smart, use common sense and inform the officer.
Everyone wants to be safe so follow the rules, no matter how goofy they are, it is what we have to work with so follow them.
Alot of folks are working hard to change the laws in Ohio but only time will tell.

#13 ·
Doc Holliday said:
I currently live in GA and as I have stated before, I travel to OH a good bit to visit the outlaws. I am currently waiting to get my FLA non-resident permit. To kill the time I have been looking over OH's gun laws and they are a crock! I know that you guys scored a victory with getting the CCL law passed but #$%*.
Yeah. Somehow we managed to get an anti-gun republican governor (with a 6.5% approval rating--Yes, that decimal is in the right place), meaning that the CCW law had to take his veto into account.

First of all how in the heck are you suppposed to carry in plain sight in a car?
My understanding of the law (IANAL) is that it needs to be holstered on your person in plain sight when the officer comes to the door, not plain sight to people driving by--Thigh holster or such is OK. I've seen references to clipping a holster to the seatbelt, also seen where that may not be considered "on your person" as the law requires. I'm finishing up CCW training Saturday--Plan to carry IWB most of the time, but keep a cheap clip on or velcro holster for car carry.

We're working on it--A bill to fix that and other things passed in the house 76-18. Taft will veto it when it passes the senate. There may be enough votes to override, but worst case is that we wait for the next gubernatorial election--Both leading candidates are pro-gun.

I have read the law and it is vague. It almost sounds like I should put my piece on lanyard around my neck like some WWI officer. I hear SOME of the troopers are anti-CCW. Are they going to prey on me since I am from out of state? Second, do state laws trump the local ordinances of Cleveland, Cincinnatti, and bunch of other smaller towns? I really can't afford to mess this up because my employer runs background checks on me every five years and they would fire me for a gun violation.
Maybe I am just parnoid. Please don't flame me....but this is frustrating.:confused:
Try living here...Preemption is part of the fixit bill in progress now. Check packing.org for details and local ordinances.

#14 ·
Doc Holliday said:
Hooligan said:
Sorry about Ohio's dumb laws. Try living here.

My wife and I are planning to move up there in about three years. She needs to be closer to her family then I do mine. A Georgia Peach in the Buckeye state, now that should be interesting!

I'm sorry about that. :duh: Might want to try going south of the Ohio river. Our gun laws are better and it's a close drive if her family is in southern Ohio.

#15 ·
SammyIamToday said:
I'm sorry about that. :duh: Might want to try going south of the Ohio river. Our gun laws are better and it's a close drive if her family is in southern Ohio.

They live about 35 miles south of Cleveland so KY is out of the question. You know, one of the best feelings I get is when I am heading south on I-75 and I see the water tower in Florence, Ky that says FLORENCE YA'LL. It makes me feel like I am home again.

#16 ·
Doc Holliday said:
They live about 35 miles south of Cleveland so KY is out of the question. You know, one of the best feelings I get is when I am heading south on I-75 and I see the water tower in Florence, Ky that says FLORENCE YA'LL. It makes me feel like I am home again.
Haha, it was originally going to say Florence Mall, but there's a state law that won't let you advertise on government buildings or whatever. So they changed it to ya'll. Good decision I think. :)

#19 ·
GoodSamaritan said:
LOL! I drive by that water tower almost weekly.

IIRC it did say Mall for a while, maybe 15 years ago.
I was driving back from Lexington just this afternoon and laughed at that tower. :smile:

I don't think the people of Ohio are anti-gun as a whole. I'm sure there are some of the cities that are though - like Columbus and Toledo. And some of the CCW laws are just plain stupid but we are slowly working on fixing them. There is a bill now that would fix the plain sight (which is exceptionally vague and basically left up to whoever stops you to decide) and I think make the state law preempt city laws. Taft has threatened to veto this bill because the Ohio State Highway Patrol is against it. In my opinion it is the politician leaders of the HP and not the majority of the troopers - just my opinion.

#20 · (Edited)
For all you other Ohioans, the bill which we are talking about is House Bill 347 (HB347). It passed overwhelmingly in the house, but we need to get it through Senate. Please contact your senators and let them know how you feel. Stand up for our state and let your politicians know we are NOT anti-gun. Also, contact Bob Taft and remind him who he works for. One of the many ways to get your politicians' contact info is through Ohioans for Concealed Carry (www.ohioccw.org), but if you don't want to go that route, its really only a Google seach away.

#22 ·
Something else to be aware of in Ohio - you must be carrying the gun in a holster, in plain sight, and on your person while in a vehicle. That means no seat belt clips (not on your person) or in your (unlocked) console. And you can't forget the holster part.

As anti-gun as Illinois? Give me a break. We have our faults but we're getting better.

The state troopers will give you a problem before any local cops will. They are the ones that petitioned for the 'poison pill' - the plain sight law. However, to date, everyone I know who has been pulled over (state police or local) have had good experiences.

Myself - I carry IWB in the car and just pull my shirt over the butt of the gun. A lot of folks are weary of this since it may not qualify as 'plain sight'. My take on it is - 'plain sight' has NEVER been defined in regards to CCW - so if the cop wants to bust you for a plain sight violation, and you don't have the gun duct taped to your forehead, then he's going to bust you.

Really, the ONLY safe way to vehicle carry is in a locked glove box. The locked case may look like a good alternative - but guess what - it has to be in 'plain sight' too.

#23 ·
Hooligan said:
For all you other Ohioans, the bill which we are talking about is House Bill 541 (HB541). It passed overwhelmingly in the house, but we need to get it through Senate. Please contact your senators and let them know how you feel. Stand up for our state and let your politicians know we are NOT anti-gun. Also, contact Bob Taft and remind him who he works for. One of the many ways to get your politicians' contact info is through Ohioans for Concealed Carry (www.ohioccw.org), but if you don't want to go that route, its really only a Google seach away.
I believe that the name and website of the organization changed to Buckeye Firearms Association at http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/index.php

#24 ·
"As anti-gun as Illinois? Give me a break. We have our faults but we're getting better."

Ok, I'll give you that one for sure. You aren't is bad as MASS., CAL, or ILL.

"The state troopers will give you a problem before any local cops will. They are the ones that petitioned for the 'poison pill' - the plain sight law. However, to date, everyone I know who has been pulled over (state police or local) have had good experiences"

Well these are the ones that I have the most chance of encountering on my joyful jaunts up I-71. A Georgia resident with a non-resident FLA permit. I hope they are well versed on the reciprocity laws because my two year old, my wife, and me would not appreciate having a .40 Glock stuck to my head because of some over zealous trooper. Also, if I am by-passing CINN and COL am I still within city limits? If so isn't my carry in the glove box now illegal. I'm not trying to be a pain in the wazzu, but I really don't want to be the one fighting the TEST cases in court. Not that I don't want to fight for FREEDOM, I just don't have the deep pockets or a very understanding employer.

"Really, the ONLY safe way to vehicle carry is in a locked glove box. The locked case may look like a good alternative - but guess what - it has to be in 'plain sight' too."

Doesn't offer quick access but it'll do for now. I guess that I can reholster the weapon in the car and carry into the Stop and Robs?

Guys I have just edited this for the fourth time and I can't get my quotes to break up the way that I want them. Forgive me for the rookie mistakes.:image035:

#25 ·
Doc Holliday said:
Doesn't offer quick access but it'll do for now. I guess that I can reholster the weapon in the car and carry into the Stop and Robs?
Doc,

You could do that. But like I said - I just carry my weapon in an IWB and don't worry about it. It's up to you - but in my experience the police - even the troopers - don't give us CCW'ers many problems here in Ohio. Of course - you could always get that one anti-gun trooper...

In the more 'anti-gun' areas of Ohio (Columbus, Toledo, and Cleveland) you'll see a plethora of no gun signs hanging about. There is no pre-emption law (yet) so city-wide bans of high-cap magazines still apply.

Rest stops are also no-carry zones - so make sure everyone uses the bathroom before you cross the border. :)

I hope your trip goes well.

Joe

#26 ·
TonyW said:
I believe that the name and website of the organization changed to Buckeye Firearms Association at http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/index.php
Tony:

Very long story, but both OFCC (ohioccw.org) and Buckeye Firearms are active in the protection of our RKBA.

The Buckeye group split off from OFCC a little while back.

There's a bunch of activity in the legislature to get rid of the "plain sight" issue and other problems in OH's CHL law, but the odds are that nothing really will happen until the next Governor is sworn in and is willing to sign something. I don't have a lot of faith, but I've been wrong before. There was that day in 1967..... :)

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.