Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Well i only hav 2 both the same model colt anacondas 44 mag's with 6 inch barrels with mag-na-port.

Do i think it makes a big difference? No not even with 300 grainers they feel the same and muzzle flip is about the same.. make soem more noise thats for sure..

Now on a Rifle i can tell ya theres a big difference..

Im Sure the muzzlebrake Another beast all together really helps on say the 460 XVR Smith or on the 500Smith .. ill let ya know ..

Might even work on my 454 pretty well but havent had any work done to it

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
For a CCW gun, I would worry about muzzle flash in low light. Some comps or porting works better than others. I don't know what is best or better, cause I don't use em.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Actually for CCW i would worry about setting yourself on fire or other wounds from the pressure if you had to fire close to your body

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Bud White said:
Actually for CCW i would worry about setting yourself on fire or other wounds from the pressure if you had to fire close to your body

That would be bad too.LOL.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just a little curious. I was looking at the XD40 and saw the ported version, realised that I didn't know anything about ported handguns and figured I ought to ask the guys here. Wasn't sure if it was like a muzzle brake or not. No thoughts of carrying one. Just trying to soak up the knowledge.

Catching oneself on fire might be counter productive to the task at hand. :biggrin: :eek:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Kurt - I think the ''fire hazard'' is minor LOL - but certainly flash is and can be well magnified.

I have an SRH in .454 and after seeing another guy's same MagaPorted, wondered if I should do it. Well - $300 is not gonna happen!! It ''may'' reduce flip a bit but hey - I love cannons anyways!

On snubs I think it is almost a joke - mainly cos of flash and those suckers rise anyways. That said - I know folks who had it done and like it - no disrespect to them but it ain't for me :smile:

Anything IMO that reduces night vision is undesirable for me - and porting will probably do that.

Certainly tho as mentioned by Bud - a good brake on a rifle can be great - different story that is. I have a comp on my Raging Bull in .454 - not sure it does much but, that gives me an excuse to (again!) post a pic of my Bull in full fury - note not only the gas jets from comp' but also the cylinder gap gas escaping!!!

I don't think porting does too much on real short barrels - JMHO!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decided to edit that pic and add some descriptive text.

`

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I knew my Fav pic would turn up again ahh can never see that one enough.. My little avatar is my shooting my mag-na-ported 44 not as cool of a pic though

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got the ported XD-40 and the recoil to me isn't an issue. I'm not really sure how much it helps but to me I think it would be along the lines of negligable. The main reason I got the ported version was for for the coolness factor and it does leave a cool V shaped flame coming out when you shoot. The only real problem is if you stand next to it while shooting (say in the next port at a range) you get blasted by unburnt propellant and the wave of air pressure. In all honesty though I'm very happy with my ported XD.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Just remembered - one of our top shooters at the IDPA club, has a Glock - 17 IIRC with porting.

Never seen it at night but wow - can he shoot fast with that sucker, and accurate too. That is one case where it seems control is well improved.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Mag Na Port

I did have a S&W J~Frame BodyGuard done with Mag~Na~Port. They did a beautiful job & a NICE action tune job & beautiful silvery soft satin chrome. The revolver looked fantastic.
It absolutely added some visual "Cool Factor" with those two perfect Trapezoidal Slots EDMed into the end of that mellow chrome snubby barrel.
I originally bought that BodyGuard for my wife & I thought it would be a useful addition.
I paid too much attention to the gun writers back then.
When I shot it with HOT HOT ammo I could feel the recoil being very slightly "less sharp" would be the best way to describe it.
In my opinion the pros of having it done would not counteract the potential cons.
I'm not recoil sensitive at all & my wife carried it with such Low pitiful mild .38 Loads that it would not have made any difference in felt recoil to her.
I would say spend the Mag~Na~Port dollars on some nice, beautiful custom grips for your handgun. Just my opinion.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Though I have never owned a ported gun, I have shot several. I find the venting gases present a real problem for CCW and personal defense.
Firing one in close proximity to your body can be painful, destructive to your clothing and potentially dangerous. Try holding a sheet of notebook paper over the vents when firing. You'll find a quick method to creating confetti.
I agree with the above about flash at night. wouldn't be a 'cool' thing then, would it?
I don't want that on my defensive weapon.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The only advantage I've found to porting on pistols is keeping the accumulated recoil down as you fire extremely quickly. It's offset by the noise, blast, and gas, and IME you can learn to control the bucking monster as you tap off 15 in 3 or so seconds without the porting. ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have no experience with porting. However, I do see burning clothes and flesh in my future if I shoot from the 2 position with a ported pistol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good info. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 3" 1911 and was just about to send the barrel/slide to Mag-na-port. Not so sure I'm gonna do that now. I guess I'll just live with the muzzle jump. Sure makes double taps tough tho.
buzzg

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I had a snubby Taurus 617 (.357 magnum) with the ported barrel. Great gun. Muzzle and porting blast in low light was a non-issue - there wasn't anything blindingly spectacular, no matter what I shot out of it. The porting did help with muzzle jump - I found the snubby much more comfortable to shoot with the porting.

Downside is crud flying out the porting and into your eye when shooting from retention... or across your body shooting at your carjacker. :dead:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I've had ported shottys and rifles, just never got into the pistol end. I would agree that in really rapid fire (like the almost full-auto rates you can get with a Glock, once you learn the minimum trigger re-set), it could be a serious show-stopper on the receiving end. The warnings about "crud-blow" are valid too. The nice thing about autos, and the Magnaport system in particular, is that if you don't want to carry ported, or "sometimes yes, sometimes no", you can drop in a non-ported barrel. I buy into weapon "systems" (multiple mags, parts, duplicates of the same gun, compatible rounds, holsters, etc..), and if you think along those lines, there's no reason not to buy ported, up front, if you like the idea- pick up another barrel later. :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts