Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically in FL. The law is pretty clear that carrying or possessing gun on campus is a big no-no. However, if I am dropping off my child at the school's parking lot (in this particular case, the parking lot is outside of fenced area, but clearly belongs to school) -- is it still the same?

Seems pretty silly to have to leave the gun at home whenever I need to drive the kid to school on my way to work ... but that's what I have been doing for now.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Not it Texas it isn't. Just inside the buildings.

·
Registered
189 Posts
In Nevada anywhere on school property is prohibited so when I drop my son off I never leave the street or at most the sidewalk if I have to get out of the car. I can see him go in the gate from the street so I'm good.

Don't some states have 'buffer zones' or something like that? 1,000 feet or whatever. Something to keep in mind as well.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
It appears FL does not allow you on school property even to drop off/pick up children. Looks like your only option would be drop them at the sidewalk in front of the school and watch them enter from there.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Specifically in FL. The law is pretty clear that carrying or possessing gun on campus is a big no-no. However, if I am dropping off my child at the school's parking lot (in this particular case, the parking lot is outside of fenced area, but clearly belongs to school) -- is it still the same?

Seems pretty silly to have to leave the gun at home whenever I need to drive the kid to school on my way to work ... but that's what I have been doing for now.
aag,

Ignore the non-FL answers. They are wrong.

IF you have your CWFL, you may drop off or pick up your child at school, while armed, even if on school property, provided you do not get out of the car. If you do, you will be in violation of the law.

Get Florida Firearms Law, by Jon Gutmacher, and digest it. It will answer a ton of questions about FL law.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
aag,

IF you have your CWFL, you may drop off or pick up your child at school, while armed, even if on school property, provided you do not get out of the car. If you do, you will be in violation of the law.

Get Florida Firearms Law, by Jon Gutmacher, and digest it. It will answer a ton of questions about FL law.
You beat me to it Micheal...
This is correct...
If you are armed and do not leave your vehicle, you are good to go, but do not stop and go into the building, leaving a weapon in the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In my state it is legal as long as it remains in the car and not brandished

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
aag,

Same rule in Ohio.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
aag,

Yep, same deal in Virginia. Carry permit,stay in the car, drop off and pick up only.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Don't try this in North Carolina. Any firearm on ANY school property (public or private, K-12 or university) is a felony. (at least by any of us non-specially trained LEO types)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well you have to look at it this way. If it is concealed and in the car. You are not getting out of the car were is the problem. You shouldn't get made while you are in the car. If you do then you really need to think about how you are carry. If you are the worried about it make your child take the bus or don't bring it with you.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I believe this falls under the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. No weapon within 1000 feet of a school UNLESS the person has a CCW permit. Then the permitee may be on school property to drop off the child but may not exit the vehicle while armed.

I believe this supercedes any state law however IANAL

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
The drop off and pick up rule is the same in Ga as it is in FL.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts

You are fine to carry in the car while picking up or dropping off your children if you have a valid Florida CWFL.

Since you're in Florida, let me suggest that you obtain a copy of "Florida Firearms" by Jon Gutmacher ASAP. IMHO, anyone who owns a gun in Florida (and especially anyone who carries a gun) should have this book. Mr. Gutmacher is an avid shooter and lawyer who breaks down the Florida laws in plain English.

Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

You can buy it online, or get a copy at some of the local gun shops in the Orlando area.

Matt

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I believe this falls under the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. No weapon within 1000 feet of a school UNLESS the person has a CCW permit. Then the permitee may be on school property to drop off the child but may not exit the vehicle while armed.
Nope, Nope, Nope!

Many states - Connecticut being one of them - prohibit carrying on any part of any school property, no matter what kind of permit you have. That includes driveways, parking lots, sidewalks ... EVERY part of school property. There is no exception for staying inside a vehicle.

The only exception is for LEOs.

I believe this supercedes any state law however IANAL
Nope! Doesn't happen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In TN, as long as you are a HCP holder, and are a non-student adult, you may carry on school property (that applies to K-12 and Universities), but you must leave your firearm in your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts