Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been ogling the Glock 43 and wondering if single stack vs. double stack really matters much for IWB. So I ordered a kydex IWB holster from US Grunt Gear to see how that flies. It's pretty minimalistic which is what I generally prefer (although I've never had kydex before).
I do like the dimensions, too, of the Glock 23/19/32 so there's that too.
Thanks for any input, in general, for single vs. double stack for IWB (worn at 4 o'clock, in this case, with a cant).

·
Registered
257 Posts
I carry a single stack (1911 and Kahr K40) simply because it fits my hand better and I'm more accurate with it compared with double stack. I don't feel "undergunned" since I realize that an encounter is typically won or lost in the first few rounds.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
That size of slim sub compacts are definitely easier to carry and conceal. I have 7 rounds of .40, plus 7 in the reload. That load has a pretty sound track record in self defense.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Two thoughts. The more proficient you are with the gun you carry, the less capacity matters. Also, single or double stack for IWB somewhat depends on your build. The "better" shape you are in, the more likely you can carry double stack IWB successfully.

You asked for input. That's mine.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I carried my 9mm Shield this evening and I've been carrying the Shield with the 8 round mags with mag sleeves so I can get a full purchase on it, so the grip length is very similar to the P320 Compact. The biggest difference is width and weight from that to my P320. But it is definitely noticeable.

I'm glad I have both to use and I sure wouldn't part with either one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I carry full-sized so of course I'm going to be biased.

Personally, it seems to me that single stack pistols are created simply for comfort. Single stacks are only marginally easier to conceal, when in reality, grip length is the biggest factor. Considering that there are plenty of comfortable holsters out there I don't see the benefit of a little comfort when you lose capacity as well as handling due to the less ergonomic design of single stack grips (unless you do have much smaller hands).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly, even a 5 shot revolver is good for most folks that live in relatively safe areas. So yes, a single stack should be fine. Just remember to carry a spare mag.

The only reason to carry a double stack would be if you're a cop on duty or if you live or go through relatively dangerous areas. Or if you're marked for a hit by a gang or are somehow targeted.

Most other civilians in peacetime conditions in peaceful areas do fine with a j frame or .380 pocket gun.

It's all a matter of picking the right tool for the right job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
It depends. What is the likelihood in your area of having multiple threats to address? At 3 rounds per bad guy the typical single stack gets shots at 2 bad guys then requires a reload.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I prefer a single stack even in full sized guns. I have thick meaty palms and short fat fingers. Most double stacks are not comfortable in my hands. I end up repositioning it in my hands every couple of shots. I have carried 1911's and other single stacks but my favorite was a Tok-Egypt in 9mm. It was made for the Egyptian police. It was very thin! Its what I shot best.
We all have our reasons for what we carry. DR

PS I also live in CA with a mag restriction of 10 rounds, so double stack doesn't add anything but width. DR

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Single stack for light shorts /no belt , minimal clothing. Otherwise a compact or full size double stack is my preferred choice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It depends. What is the likelihood in your area of having multiple threats to address? At 3 rounds per bad guy the typical single stack gets shots at 2 bad guys then requires a reload.
A lot of criminals like to get hyped up on drugs before trying to steal from or hurt someone. People on drugs can absorb ammunition, doesn't matter if it is 9mm or 45. or 35.7 Mag. Also, some get their hands on kevlar and other protective gear. More chances you have to hit the head or disable limbs, the better.

I don't carry over 30 rounds of ammo to play "punisher" on an entire gang. Its to handle one or several threats who might absorb dozens of rounds each.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
IWB is about both weight and thickness for me. I can carry a double stack just as easily IWB as a singe slack...just depends on the outfit. In the winter I can wear jeans more easily and thus it's a bit more comfortable (due to the heat) to use a dedicated gun belt and carry a heavier gun. In the summer I am wearing lightweight fast drying shorts, and use a light nylon web belt, so a single stack 9mm or 380 is what I carry because of both the thickness and weight.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am a consistent poor shot with the single stack 9mm. I carry a Glock 26 with a Nelson Stealth holster at 8:00 (LH) the majority of the time. If I need deeper concealment I reach for my Sig P238 on the ankle.
I am pretty accurate with both of these guns. Being a Glock guy I tried the G43, and four or five other single stack 9's we rented at the range. Had to go down to a single action 380 to be confident with my shooting.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I carried a 6 shot Smith 686 for 20 years, I consider a 7-8 shot semi auto to be a bonus. If I were a soldier in a combat zone.. I would prefer as much ammo as I could carry but as a joe citizen going to the store, I am not really inclined to believe that a sustained gunfight is a realistic concern of mine. If 2 or 3 shots cannot get me out of life threatening peril, I had better start running in the other direction. I consider caliber to be more important than round count.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only reason to carry a double stack would be if you're a cop on duty or if you live or go through relatively dangerous areas. Or if you're marked for a hit by a gang or are somehow targeted.
I don't agree with this and it's a little melodramatic. There are other reasons to carry a double stack. For instance, a first time owner/carrier who can't afford multiple weapons and wants something that will serve for a home defense and carry gun. Or someone who has large hands that can't comfortably hold a single stack.

OP: There are many reasons to choose single or double stack over the other. Comfort in the hand and in the holster, budget, purpose/needs, multiple user considerations, and shootability. It will boil down to what you need and want.

Having said that, I carry a Walther PPQ M2 in 9mm that also serves as a home defense weapon. I use a StealthGear Onyx, an IWB hybrid holster, at the 4:30-ish position. It's very comfortable for me and after a slight alteration to my wardrobe, I don't print unless bent completely over.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't agree with this and it's a little melodramatic. There are other reasons to carry a double stack. For instance, a first time owner/carrier who can't afford multiple weapons and wants something that will serve for a home defense and carry gun. Or someone who has large hands that can't comfortably hold a single stack.

OP: There are many reasons to choose single or double stack over the other. Comfort in the hand and in the holster, budget, purpose/needs, multiple user considerations, and shootability. It will boil down to what you need and want.
Valid points and I don't disagree. If the person is a one gun guy or gal, of course a double stack will do.

After quite a few years of carrying, it's become a chore to carry large guns. And I've done that. A lot. Now it's either my LCP or 9mm Shield. Mostly my LCP because it's designed to be carried and carried often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I carry a Glock G17 gen 4 (AIWB) I am not ready for an SS9 yet !

·
Registered
9 Posts
I carry full-sized so of course I'm going to be biased.

Personally, it seems to me that single stack pistols are created simply for comfort. Single stacks are only marginally easier to conceal, when in reality, grip length is the biggest factor. Considering that there are plenty of comfortable holsters out there I don't see the benefit of a little comfort when you lose capacity as well as handling due to the less ergonomic design of single stack grips (unless you do have much smaller hands).
Wow that's news to me! I must have missed the memo.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I don't think it matters if your 1 gun is a double duty gun.. If you need a smaller "slimmer" gun for ccw then you don't buy a larger gun simply because its going to sit in the nightstand when you get home. Size and weight do not matter at home, I agree but that is not a reason to carry a gun you cant conceal well or one that you don't want to carry all day. A slim gun can fit in the night stand just fine but a large gun that doesn't conceal well is defeating the whole purpose of ccw. These things are not a contest.. some people make it sound like guys with nice cars who argue about who's is faster. Double duty or not, I am going to carry what I consider conducive to comfort and concealment.. if its a 7 shot semi auto.. then that's what it is. I find myself talking up for the single stack and that is not even what I carry. LOL

1 - 20 of 184 Posts