Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this article in this morning's IBD and thought it might be of interest to the community.

The prediction that "It's likely in the civilian market that we'll see good, reliable, use-limiting technology in many new firearms" doesn't exactly warm my heart but perhaps I'm in the minority.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Gun Control Advocates Have Ammunition ? 'Smart Gun' Technology - Investors.com
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

·
Registered
111 Posts
"Smart guns," which can be fired only by an authorized person and can be rendered unworkable at all in certain locations.......
So what if BG's get their hands on some kind of device that can make the gun "unworkable"?
Oh, and how is the device powered up? What happens when the battery dies?

It's a great concept for someone who isn't pro or anti-gun.
For people like minded with me, this is a load of BS.
For the anti-gunners, it still isn't enough.

Looks like we might have to resort to building our own guns in the future.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In short Yes. Colt has had Smartgun prototypes since the 90's and fully admits the technology is limited and fallable. The unit's I have saw incorporate a form of IR bracelet or wearable device that is worn by the officer or person holding the pistol. The bracelet emitts an IR frequency that when behind the gun sends an active signal to an electric motor usually in the grip deactivating a blocking device permitting the firearm to fire. When the IR bracelet is in front of the gun the IR signal is omitted preventing the firearm from firing. Too many parts to fail,(what if gun gets wet or bracelet). Also the IR signal can be blocked or defeated by a phone, garage door opener, TV remote, or anything that emitts an IR signal. I watched a program on this specifically and Colt admitted even today, In order to make it reliable the electronics must be smaller and more reliable. It's in line with cost effective biometric safes. In order to meet a price point, the electronics have to be made cheaper thus rendering them less reliable. The cost efficient biometric safes have been proven to work effectively a mere 60% of the time. Alot of the HOME safes that incorporate biometric scanning also have a dial tumbler mechanical locking device along side the electronic one so in the event the electronic pad malfunctions, The dial deactivates the electronic one and you can still get in your safe. Just my .02. Here is a link to another type of smart gun technology.

TriggerSmart Childproof RFID Smart Gun - YouTube

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I don't think you would have to be particularly smart to remove the "smart" features therefor making it a pretty dumb idea!

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
It would probably just give you an unreliable gun that would cost you more. It did look cool in Skyfall.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Just as soon as all military and law enforcement firearms are so equipped, I *might* consider such a "feature"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wonderful idea. So I walk into a building that disables my smart gun. Bad guy walks in with an old school gun without smart tech and proceeds to kill everybody in the place, myself included since I am prevented from defending myself. Now my widow and kids get rich suing everybody since they took away my right to self defense.
/sarcasm off

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I don't even trust electronic safes let alone electronically locked guns.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This sounds like something straight out of Metal Gear Solid 4. Biometric and ID tagged guns that allow only 1 person to use a given weapon which can be made inoperable from a remote location. SERIOUSLY?! It's straight out of a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FePHnxmupCw

At about the 3 minute mark. It's rather funny to think this is might where we are going.

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
No way no how! I would go to great lengths to avoid such technology.

I'm not smart so believe that I can get through the rest of my life without "smart" guns. Dumb guns for me.

Reactions: blake716

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
No way no how! I would go to great lengths to avoid such technology.

I'm not smart so believe that I can get through the rest of my life without "smart" guns. Dumb guns for me.
That's me. I don't need a gun I have to get my granddaughter to show me how to use.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
If a smart gun is as reliable as a smart phone, we're in a world of trouble!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Is a smart gun a Dumb Idea?? Yep.

·
Registered
45,373 Posts
I can't get the register at the checkout to scan a can of beans properly. You think I'm going to trust some electronic gizmo to reliably lock/unlock my gun? I'll be a cat herder riding a flying pig before that happens.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts