Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some GOP politicians are raising the alarm over this rule they are trying to sneak in.
Having to do with the forms FFL's have to preserve, how long and what gets turned into the feds when they go out of business.

·
Registered
46,196 Posts
Now they are concerned . . . with a longtime known backdoor firearm registration. I . . . am . . . impressed. Thanks for being right on top of this registration thing.

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
One would have to be living in LaLa Land at this point to think that the gubm't didn't already have files on gun owners.

·
Super Moderator
18,256 Posts
I've been saying for years that filling out a 4473 is de facto registration. They may not know exactly what gun you have but when you call it in, it's all recorded.

The brain-dead gun guys that constantly argue that it is not, haven't figured out that it's not the gun they are registering, it's YOU as a gun owner.

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
I am sure they are doing all the closet registration they can and that is probably a lot. One small saving grace is that by law, they can't put that info in a searchable database. Yes, they are probably doing it anyway. ATF got caught doing it by a GAO audit and they got their wrists slapped. But given that it is illegal, they can't admit they have it, which means they can't use it in court. The second small saving grace is something like 200 million gun owners and 320 million guns (or whatever numbers you subscribe to). That is a lot of data, with no way to keep it up to date. Guns are sold and traded by individuals, people die and guns get inherited, some guns are pre-1968, etc. Their problem is too much data and no easy way to maintain it or search it.

I have consulted with many big organizations who have the same situation with their inventory and the solutions are difficult. I am not denying what they are doing is very bad and illegal and this has been going on for a while and will continue to. I am just saying from a pure data management standpoint, it is no slam-dunk for them.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Of course they are!

Way back in the 1990s during the Clinton administration, when the Brady Bunch bill mandated the National Instant Check System (NICS) on all retail firearms transactions, they were caught keeping all the data despite requirements in the law requiring the results to be destroyed within 30 days. The excuse then was that they were just maintaining data in order to audit the system, even after it was disclosed that they had built a whole new facility in which to collect and collate all the data into a searchable database.

Hillary herself commented on her frustrations with a law that prevented the government from performing such a simple and common sense function for public safety.

About the same time old Bill, the Prevaricator in Chief, ordered the Veterans Administration to include the identities of all veterans who had been diagnosed or evaluated for PTSD into the NICS, effectively denying 2nd Amendment rights to honorably discharged veterans by the hundreds of thousands (or millions?).

·
Super Moderator
18,256 Posts
ATF keeping data? Of course, they are.

I got a request from the ATF a few months ago for some info on a gun that I had a few years ago. Apparently, that gun had been used in a crime.

It came back to me as the original seller.

You're kidding yourself if you think that they don't have all the data they need to round you up when that day comes.

·
Premium Member
6,867 Posts
States do it too. Quite certain VSP has a file on me due to the number of purchases made this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts