Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first posted this over on Colt Forum, figuring I'd get banned for heresy. Hasn't happened yet, but it's not a popular thread there for sure. Not so much from kinds of comments generated as from lack of comments. Gotta protect the aura so it would seem.

So we'll try it here.

Obviously the market feels the Python is everything it's cracked up to be.

I've been a somewhat skeptical Python owner since day one A decent used 1978 vintage 6-inch blued Python came to roost here in about 2006, before the time when used Python prices increased significantly. It's nice and it's amazingly accurate when I'm in a shooting humor. In a single side-by-side test one afternoon against the other Colt .357 Magnum model I have on hand, the Python shot the tightest group by a very small margin, with both revolvers using the same carefully prepared handload. Different handloads, especially tailored for each revolver and shot on different days might reflect opposite results.

The Python is not my favorite Colt revolver model by a long shot. To me it is somewhat over styled. I am not in favor of full lugs, caring neither for their looks nor their clumsy front heavy handling nature. The vent rib is wretched excess in my opinion. Only the very early Pythons have a truly inspiring polish job. The rest made in more recent times seem excessively polished to me. The factory stocks on the later Pythons are frequently pretty plain and their finish brittle and not too durable.

Python craftsmanship lore aside, special burnishing balls passed through bores and all of that, are the Pythons' actions truly more finely crafted than many of their stable mates which were built on the same frame size? I've handled, cycled, and shot a goodly number of Pythons over the years and this 1978 gun feels exactly the same as other Pythons in good condition.

But, there is the Colt 3 5 7 that also roosts in the safe here. It gives up nothing to the Python in action feel. It got whipped by a nose that day both were out for the test, but it's very accurate in its own right. Then there are the Officers Model Match revolvers. They have actions to die for, again not taking a back seat to the Python in this regard. They are more accurate than my Python has been with my best efforts. Their styling appeals to me more than the Python does.

A die hard traditional Smith & Wesson fan, I also enjoy owning the Colts. I use all of 'em too. None are safe queen grade. I'm going to experience them and not save them unused in the safe. I like owning and using the Python, but am not really feeling the special qualities attributed to it. Some of the other Colt models are just as nice and are currently more attainable for less cash outlay.

Has the Python reputation long been a source of a bit of sensationalized leg pulling? Is the Python craftsmanship truly unique? Maybe I'm missing out on something. Y'all can probably straighten me out here with a bit of education.

No need for labeling for it is what it is.

Colt Officers Model Match revolvers with the Colt 3 5 7, the Python's premium immediate predecessor seen at bottom. Supplanted within two years by the Python, the 3 5 7 was allowed to die on the vine after a small eight-year production run. 1953-1961 RIP.

Still think Smith & Wessons are best, the Model 27 being the finest .357 Magnum ever in my book with the Model 19 or its stainless steel counterpart the Model 66 being first rate in every way.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
People take swings at Glocks for one reason or another. I don't feel it is inappropriate to take a swing at the Python.

That particular gun is one I never had any inkling to own. Why? A very simple subjective reason. It didn't feel good in my hand. Is that a reason why everyone should reject it? Absolutely not. It is a design that has withstood the test of time, like the Glock, 1911, and many, many others.

At the time, I too owned and shot Smiths and just never saw the need to try and adjust my hand to make the Colt feel better. I can understand why people who own them cherish them. They are fine examples of the best revolver design and craftsmanship of the era. Be that as it may, I would take another Smith in a moment - as long as I don't have to pay for it.

I'm just happy that we have different guns, because that way anyone can find what works best for them.

Thought I would add this. My only full-size revolver of today was one I got for free. It may not be considered to be in the same class as the masterpieces of yesteryear, but it is an amazingly good copy of a Smith, shares almost all parts with a Smith, has a barrel lug - ala Python, a grip that feels more like the Python than the Smiths, and is made of stainless steel.

Rossi (pre Taurus) 851 38 Special +P
Good enough for me.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,842 Posts
I have Colt Anaconda, Cobra, Official Police, Python, Single Action Army, Trooper 3 5 7, and Trooper Mk III revolvers. I also have NAA, S&W, Ruger, and Uberti revolvers. They are all great guns to carry and shoot. My favorite concealed carry revolvers are a 4" Python .357 magnum or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44magnum.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I've got a 6" "Ultimate" Stainless from the 80s, that replaced an earlier 70's blued.

To me the biggest allure of the Python, especially the 6" barreled models, was the balance. It feels like it's got a built in gyroscope. It just feels right. I've shot mine so much that I had to send it back in to be re-timed.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Never owned one but my BIL had a nickeled one of about the same era as yours. I shot it many times and thought it was a superb revolver. Like you, I prefer Smiths. Even worse I prefer utility grade revolvers like the Model 10 ( yes I know it is not a .357 ) or the Model 13. I also like Glocks, Taurus 856 Snubbies and chubby women. Don't live fancy or high dollar but I am happy!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I’ve owned three from 1968, 1964 and 1982 approximately. They were in 4, 6, and 8 in barrels.

The blue is amazing to behold.

The triggers are spongy and stack in double action. Not knowing how long they’d last, given that they were discontinued I decided to let them all go.

I favor the S&W triggers more. Now I have S&W, Ruger, Taurus and Chiappa.

I don’t miss the Python. I strongly considered the 2020 but I opted for other revolvers, instead:

S&W 460 XVR 4”
S&W 629 Performance Center 2.6” 44 Magnum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
I first posted this over on Colt Forum, figuring I'd get banned for heresy. Hasn't happened yet, but it's not a popular thread there for sure. Not so much from kinds of comments generated as from lack of comments. Gotta protect the aura so it would seem.

So we'll try it here.
Obviously the market feels the Python is everything it's cracked up to be.
Bryan, to paraphrase Patrick Henry, "If this be heresy, make the most of it!"

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta wonder if there is currently a lot of money invested in continuing the Python mystique. After all, folks have spent to acquire them in recent times and Pythons offered for sale are tagged with prices most premium on all the sales venues.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
34,690 Posts
If Colt really wants to sell the new Python, it should offer a free Torino with every purchase. They'd sell like hotcakes!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'll weigh in here. I was raised on the Python. Dad got his in 68, new. It was his duty weapon, and it was to be my hunting handgun. It is now mine. For most of my teen years, the only other make of revolver that Dad ever owned was a Ruger Super Black Hawk. The Python was and is my favorite revolver. It's also the one I shoot second best with, being slightly edged out by the Colt Diamondback .22 (which is literally a tack-driver). I was raised on Colt revolvers, shooting the Diamondback, Python, Cobra. Dad never owned a Smith & Wesson. Personally, I have only shot one S & W revolver, a .500. Just as Smith guys don't like the feel of the Colt in their hands, I don't care for the feel of the Smith revolvers. (I have felt others, only shot one) Plus, they rotate backwards! 😋 I will expect that my opinion carries much less weight because I have yet to own a Smith & Wesson, and nearly have an unfounded aversion to them.

Is the Python the greatest ever? No. Is it a finely crafted piece of workmanship? Definitely. Is it worth the asking price of several thousand dollars? To the right person, of course. Will I ever bring myself to own a Smith and Wesson revolver? Only time will tell. I almost passed on the M&P 15 MOE because it was made by Smith and Wesson and I could almost hear my dad saying "What the %(*&)%@ did you do?" But then I came to my senses and picked it up because it was $500+ under list.

Bottom line: There are two types of people in the world: Colt revolver people and Smith revolver people, and never the twain shall they meet.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The closest I'll get to owning a Python will have to be my Official Police from '44.

If I'm remembering correctly from some of your previous posts related to this one you've mentioned that the actions on the other old Colt's are very similar to the famed Pythons.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I never cared for them for a few reasons. I think they are ugly revolvers, I hate Colt's pull back cylinder release and a vent rib on a handgun (or any gun for that matter) is an abomination.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
My Dad had one. I thought the look of it was way cool, of course, but I was not impressed by the action. I also heard that Pythons could develop timing issues. My favorite Colt DA revolver was a Trooper Mk III that my cousin had. It had a super-solid feel to it, a kind of feel I would later come to associate with Rugers.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Bottom line: There are two types of people in the world: Colt revolver people and Smith revolver people, and never the twain shall they meet.
I would actually take a Ruger over either. A nice 3 screw Blackhawk or an early Vaquero over S&W or Colt and I would not trade my smooth as silk (albeit rather homely) GP100 for either.
That said I love my S&W revos too, especially the model 10.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I really wanted a GP100, for years I looked but didn’t get around to buying one. Finally got one and was very disappointed. Didn’t come close to shooting as nice as my Security Six. It’s trade bait now.

Sister has a Python and I love it. Shoots really nice, well balanced and accurate. We also have 2 S&W M19, one 6” and one 4”. Love both of them too. All 3 have excellent triggers, much better than my Ruger.

So is the Python all it’s cracked up to be? I don’t know, it sure is a sweet shooting pistol though.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I owned a 6" stainless, but it was a "safe queen". NEVER got to shoot it, as I sold it "for what I paid for it"! (STUPID ME!) I wish I hadn't! I guess the "saving grace" is I own a 60's gen. 4" Model 19, that is the "best shooting revolver I own"! My Dad's "uniform duty carry". It will get passed on to a family member "when I go to the shooting range in the sky".

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I really wanted a GP100, for years I looked but didn’t get around to buying one. Finally got one and was very disappointed. Didn’t come close to shooting as nice as my Security Six. It’s trade bait now.

Sister has a Python and I love it. Shoots really nice, well balanced and accurate. We also have 2 S&W M19, one 6” and one 4”. Love both of them too. All 3 have excellent triggers, much better than my Ruger.

So is the Python all it’s cracked up to be? I don’t know, it sure is a sweet shooting pistol though.
What he said, I love em all! I love the Python and shoot it good, and I love the Smiths and shoot them good. I like the 357 cal cause my vision is bad and that way it has to get in the general vicinity to knock out the BG.

Good Thread 😊

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts