Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly see discussions regarding pocket 380s here, but almost no mention of the db380 anymore. Is it still current? I know that it's no Sig 238, but there are other budget 380s that are still in the mainstream and get mentioned frequently. I did hear of some sort of deal between Diamondback and Taurus a little while back, but I thought that was regarding warranty service or something like that.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I regularly see discussions regarding pocket 380s here, but almost no mention of the db380 anymore. Is it still current? I know that it's no Sig 238, but there are other budget 380s that are still in the mainstream and get mentioned frequently. I did hear of some sort of deal between Diamondback and Taurus a little while back, but I thought that was regarding warranty service or something like that.
The Taurus TCP and Ruger LCR can both be had for approx $200, and both have a better reliability record than DiamondBack. I do not know much about their 380 model, but I do know that their DB9 model is crap that has ruined their reputation. Ask yourself why their 380 model is hardly ever spoken of

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Also note that they have a full size 9mm pistol that nobody talks about. That silence should be deafening to interested buyers.

Stay away from any Diamondback pistol.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought the DB380 years ago. I got it at a discounted price since the slide was scratched up. The gun works. The trigger is horrible and you have to yank the mags out which are also hard to grab. I think if the designers had worked on these issues it would be a decent gun.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The 380 and 9mm are the same size.I bought a DB9 recently and so far it has been a real good shooter. I put 250 rounds of 115gr blazer brass, 50 rounds of 124gr Federal hst and 25rounds of hornady 115g critical defense with no hiccups what so ever. The mag extension helped a lot with my grip.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
I had one ...

Plus :

1. One of the easiest pocket guns to take apart its a glock in take down
2. Very small and easy to carry
3. Very nice shooter

Downsides ie why I sold it two days after getting it

1. It would not fire any HP ammo I had and I tried 3 different brands ..Jamed bad with all of them ..Not easy to clear in most cases .FMJ worked fine
2. And what made me sell it ..The pins worked out after 50 rounds of firing and were starting to fall out ..The company was easy enough to deal with and sent more pins to put in ..But that was the last straw and I sold it

The companys guns wont take +P ammo which is not a good sign

·
Registered
335 Posts
It was a solution for people looking for a single stack .380 Glock. Glock-like in take down and looks, but with a terrible trigger; overall i don't think it met anyone's expectations. Then Glock came out with the G42 and the DB380 became a "solution" for a problem that didn't exist.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The Taurus TCP and Ruger LCR can both be had for approx $200, and both have a better reliability record than DiamondBack. I do not know much about their 380 model, but I do know that their DB9 model is crap that has ruined their reputation. Ask yourself why their 380 model is hardly ever spoken of
When TeflonDon, the single biggest advocate at Defensive Carry for underappreciated guns, says steer clear, you steer clear.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had an early DB380. After the second trip back to the factory they sent me a new gun. I immediately traded it for an LCP. Pins walking out, trigger reset issues, fte and ftf (feed) all occurred regularly and without warning. It was one of the worst handguns I ever owned. Go to the Diamondback Forum and you will see that not much has changed.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Ever since I was a kid, I was VERY interested in engineering, design, fabrication, basically anything related to mechanical gadgets. I took apart clocks, engines, toasters, gadgets, and later when I got older, guns. Always took apart brand new guns down to the very last part, to see how they were designed, how it functioned, and to learn how every part works and what every part does. That being said, I OWNED a DB380. Took it completely apart and FLABBERGASTED at the design. No other pistol is designed in such a way. In my humble opinion, the DB380 is an absolutely flawed design. I would HIGHLY recommend you look at pretty much ANY other pistol on the market. Period. The design of that pistol is horrendous. It almost seems that a very junior, first year engineer student, that has never seen a John Browning designed pistol, or any firearm for that matter, designed the pistol from scratch. And it shows.

I grew up in the Cocoa, FL area where they are from. For those not aware, Diamondback is an AIR BOAT company. They have made AIR BOATS for 25-35 years or more. They make an excellent air boat. They are down the street from Kel-Tec, and I believe that they hired a few Kel-Tec people when they got their gun manufacturing business up and running. I have actually ridden in the very FIRST air boat that they ever built, about 20 years ago, before they were a large scale boat manufacturer. The boat was kind of a piece of junk, being the very first boat they ever built as they were in the learning phase. Their new boats are really nice though, if you should need an air boat.

http://www.diamondbackairboats.com/

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Ever since I was a kid, I was VERY interested in engineering, design, fabrication, basically anything related to mechanical gadgets. I took apart clocks, engines, toasters, gadgets, and later when I got older, guns. Always took apart brand new guns down to the very last part, to see how they were designed, how it functioned, and to learn how every part works and what every part does. That being said, I OWNED a DB380. Took it completely apart and FLABBERGASTED at the design. No other pistol is designed in such a way. In my humble opinion, the DB380 is an absolutely flawed design. I would HIGHLY recommend you look at pretty much ANY other pistol on the market. Period. The design of that pistol is horrendous. It almost seems that a very junior, first year engineer student, that has never seen a John Browning designed pistol, or any firearm for that matter, designed the pistol from scratch. And it shows.
They use to make boats that make expline a few things

1 - 17 of 17 Posts