Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states what's everyone's experience with pocket carrying a 938? How did it work for you? I wear cargo shorts in the summer so I think I'd be fine there. Jeans aren't skinny but aren't super baggy either

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
How big of a guy are you? It would be very easy for me but I'm a pretty big ol boy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,999 Posts
Depends on the pockets, I normally wear Wrangler Relaxed Fit jeans. The pockets are quite generous, I once purchased a 4-inch S&W Model 25 at a gun show and rather than carry it around in my hand I just drooped it in a pocket, all but about a half inch of the grip disappeared. With pockets that size pocket carry of a P-938 is easy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pocket carry my p938 in jeans front pocket many times during any given week with no problem at all. If I'm going to carry IWB (which is what I prefer most of the time) it's going to be a much larger gun like my G17.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
Definitely depends on the size of the pockets - and the size of the person. I am a medium size woman and women's pants have tiny or no pockets. There is not gun small enough that I would consider using that is a pocket gun for me. Even men's jeans have widely varying pocket sizes.

Since the 938 is a popular gun, you should be able to find it in a gun store. See if it fits in your own pockets or not.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive tried to pocket carry my 938 and 238. It can be done, for some people. For me it isn't optimal. IWB in concealment express kydex at about 3:30-4:00 position seems to be most comfortable for me. I'm traveling at the moment, and brought my 238, and this is how I'm wearing it, right now. That's where is is most comfortable. I can wear it all day and barely know its there...and no one else knows either.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
For me the 238 as opposed to the 938 is the perfect pocket AND ankle carry. Not to mention an accurate choice. It's my go-to when I can't bring the G-26.

Even with the smaller gun I will only pocket carry with an untucked shirt.

If a tucked in shirt is required the 238 goes to the ankle.

I am a smaller guy though at 5'7 165 lbs

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Because of it's light weight and size, it' can easily be concealed in the pocket IMHO (unless you wear tight fitting jeans). Here are a couple of size comparison photos. As you can see, it's about the size of a the popular "pocket guns" chambered in 380 except for the longer slide.

P938_380.jpg

IMG_1106.JPG

That's a P938 next to a small pocket sized 380. Keep in mind that the P938 has the extended mag installed as well.

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0970.jpg

That's the same RM380 next to a 380 Taurus TCP.

DSCF4527.jpg

A TCP next to a LCP....

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I pocket carry mine regularly and I am not a big guy. Relaxed fit Levi's and most of my cargo pants and shorts work well.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Different people have different tolerances when it comes to comfort. When I had my P938, it would fit in my pocket, but I didn't like it. Other folks have no problem. If you're thinking about buying one with the intent of pocket carrying, you should try it first. Otherwise you might end up with a gun you don't want.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to my LGS today and threw a p238, 938 and kahr cm9 in my pocket. No holster but all felt fine. Without a holster I reached in and drew them all just fine. No snags. I won't carry without a holster but honestly all felt the same to me. The 238 obviously was the smallest and may have felt a little better in the pocket but I'm not convinced on 380

·
Registered
208 Posts
Very pocketable with even the larger magazine, the shield on the other hand, no.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've tried it in the pocket and don't like it, but I don't like pocket carry for my 642 either. IWB with a minimulist holster and it's very comfortable.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've tried it in the pocket and don't like it, but I don't like pocket carry for my 642 either. IWB with a minimulist holster and it's very comfortable.
This. I mostly IWB the 938 in a Garrity rig, thin leather, no bulk, all day comfort anywhere between 2-4 o'clock. In summer I would occasionally pocket carry it (if I have to) in a Sticky, works well too.

Couple of pix of the Garrity holster for ref:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pocket carry a 938? Maybe, depending on how big you (and the pockets)are. Personally I can't pocket-carry my 938, as I find it a bit too blocky/sharp shaped for my pockets. Since I carry cocked and locked, I wouldn't consider carrying it without a holster. It's a perfect weapon for carrying IWB though; it just disappears then. Pocket carry for me is either my 642 or 640!

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
OP - You've asked essentially the same question in two threads. You need to try the gun - in a holster - in your own pocket.

The holster makes a difference. You can't simply put the gun naked in your pocket and make a judgement.

The other consideration is the gun itself. Do you shoot it well? Can you hit the tiny safety lever under stress? Does it draw without snagging from the pockets you typically wear? Does it print?

Only you can answer these questions. Everyone is different. I have tree trunk thighs, so a stick of gum prints. I need to use holsters with anti print panels when I pocket carry with my shirt tucked, or it's very obvious. Someone with stick legs doesn't have this problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I have tree trunk thighs, so a stick of gum prints. I need to use holsters with anti print panels when I pocket carry with my shirt tucked, or it's very obvious. Someone with stick legs doesn't have this problem.
Now wait just a gosh darned minute! Are you throwing stones at those of us who might have "stick legs"!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts