Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....I'm to skinny? I"m 6 foot 1 inch and weigh 184. I have been CCing for over 10 years. I have tried IWB several times and it is not even close to comfortable. Am I missing something? Doing it wrong? I would really like to make it work so I can carry dressed nice without some kind of a jacket. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I'm 6'5" and 200, and IWB carry with a tucked shirt 5-6 days a week. Bigger guns like Sigs and Berettas. I carry in hybrids from White Hat holsters with a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch instructors belt, at about the 4-4:30 position. The belt, holster, cant, and ride height have to all work together. I can't do single clip straight drop IWB or OWB. But with the clips adjusted to give just a bit more than the standard FBI cant, they hide and carry like a dream. I'm in and out of various cars and trucks all day, and rarely sit in one that makes me notice the gun.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to hide my Shield 9mm. I know I'll get roasted for this but what is FBI cant?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
When I first started IWB I had it at about 4:00. It agrivated my back. I then tried it at 3:00. It hurt my hip. I then moved to 1:00-2:00 area or Apendix carry. This has been the sweet spot for me. A shorter gun is most comfortable but, I sometimes carry a 4" 357 revolver. I have carried a Glock 21 in that position also. These days I only carry Snub Revolvers, mostly J-Frames. I only buy shirts that can be warn out of the pants. I recently attended a wedding wearing a Suit and carried my 442 in a Belly Band placing the gun in the Apendix area under my pants but on top of the tucked in shirt. Just below the belt line. It worked well. It was easy to get at and I had my speed strips, one in each jacket pocket. You just have to move the gun around and find your sweet spot. Then dress around the gun.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Cant refers to the tilt of the holster. Most IWB holsters are made with a forward cant which means the butt of the gun is tilted forward which brings the butt toward a more vertical position in the holster. This tilt allows the gun to pull in tighter against your body.

The FBI has actually standardized the degree of tilt (I think it's 17 degrees) and that is what is called the FBI Cant. I like a little more tilt in my holsters and usually run mine at about 22-23 degrees of cant.

I hope this explanation helps.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I just want to hide my Shield 9mm. I know I'll get roasted for this but what is FBI cant?
It refers to the angle the holster positions the gun. FBI cant is roughly 15-17 degrees forward, meaning the muzzle gets tilted back, and the butt of the gun forward. I like a little more in the 20-25deg range.

Reactions: 357and40

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am 5' 10" and 160 lbs. and carry IWB comfortably. It will simply take finding a holster and position that works for you. I carried a Shield daily until I began carrying my Solo. I had no issues concealing the Shield comfortably. My favorite holster for the Shield is a PJ Holster. I have two of them for my Solo in slightly different cants and clips.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
13 years ago I was 6'1 about 180# and I carried a Glock 26/27 appendix IWB.
Now about 215# I can conceal a 19/23 as easily, one benefit of some extra weight.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Where are you trying to carry IWB? Did you buy pants one size larger? You need extra room for that gun unless you go AIWP. I pocket carry most of the time, but AIWP some of the time.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I'm fat... 5'10" 215lbs... I carry typically in a Minotaur MTAC tucked in business casual. Springfield XDS 45 at the moment. I adjust the cant to a little greater angle than FBI cant and barely notice the holster is there anymore...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Honestly when I was skinnier I found IWB to be quite comfortable. I gained some weight and it became miserable so I'm going to work harder on losing the weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 5'10", 220lbs, I usually appendix carry, but that's because I've gotten comfortable with it. At first, I hated it and didn't like it, especially when sitting, but after awhile one gets used to it and finds it's easier to pull your shirt up with one hand while the other draws. Practice make perfect, or close to it. Just force yourself to keep wearing it and try different holsters/ pants combinations. You'll get use to it after month or so. Look into Alien Gear IWB, super comfortable, I'm planning on IWB carrying my Sig Sp2022 this fall/winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, I definitely have a gut to surpass, but not that much, it's just the matter of placing it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts